Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Composite bed damage

Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Its not that people don't care but if you buy truck with plan on keeping forever there is no reason to cry about dings. In 10 -15 years still there are going to be scratches no matter how much you take care of it. Its not Porsche that you drive around the block once a month. Its work truck that drives, hauls and conquers.
Its like expecting Viking not to have battle scars.
I fully understand what you're saying. My Taco is not a work truck. I guess I'm in the minority here. Look me up in 5 years and you'll be able to buy a pretty nice 2010 Taco, and I'll be on to my next vehicle.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #42
For the Retards, Im a Female
ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I'd say your choices are:

Bed mat
Plywood

Why bother trying to fix a little scratch when its going to happen again unless you protect the bed all over?
if not that get the bed rhino lined or whatever or put a cover on the bed so you cant see it, out of sight out of mind
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #43
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
OR...Toyota could have made it black all the way through. The bed gets scratched up if you sneeze on it and the white under the black really glares through.

That being said, only the first scratch/gouge bothered me. I'm used to it now, so whatever.
That white mark is called a stress mark. It is common on all plastics and composites.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #44
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
I, for one in my entire life have never seen a regular pickup truck bed without a bedliner scratched to hell.....(sarcaism, I have seen plenty pick up beds scratched right to the metal)
My advice.. get over it. it's a truck.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #45
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
so b/c u tear up your paint its ok for me to tear up my truck, thats retarded... no matter what i do with my truck im going to do my best to cause the least amount of damage to it. Resale value means something to some of us too
I totally agree that its your truck you should use it the way you see fit no matter what anyone says. I just don't see the need for a truck if scratches in your bed are an issue. If I where concerned about the bed I would have bought a 4runner. I have friends who tell me that I am destroying my truck I just shrug -- I don't understand.

I plan on keeping the truck till it is dead. If I cant even sell it for $500 that's ok. I will get every dollar out of it so resale is obviously not an issue
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #46
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Steel versus Plastic. Hmmmmmmm. I wonder what will win.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #48
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude59 View Post
Steel versus Plastic. Hmmmmmmm. I wonder what will win.
Plastic will never rust. Although rust is not really a concern where you live I would imagine.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #49
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Look you guys.....All he wanted was advise on how to fix the damage. Weather or not you would fix it, is not the point. Either help, or move on.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #50
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
Plastic will never rust. Although rust is not really a concern where you live I would imagine.

Yeah, no rust really here. If I lived back east where the wife is from then it might be a concern. lol. Im still partial to a good ol' steel bed.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #51
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Look you guys.....All he wanted was advise on how to fix the damage. Weather or not you would fix it, is not the point. Either help, or move on.
The thread went crazy! lol
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #52
CRAZY 4WHEELER

I would just get some spray paint and some fiberglass resign if the scratches are real deep.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #53
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That white mark is called a stress mark. It is common on all plastics and composites.
Is that what happened to Micheal Jackson?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #54
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Is that what happened to Micheal Jackson?

It could very well be................
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #55
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic or Steel? I used to wonder that too. I worked in a steel place and they put every part in plastic containers. Tons of parts in plastic containers. Slid them across the concrete floor with a forklift. pick them up by the handles with the forks. No way steel would take 1/10 of that abuse. You can get a really nice carpet bed. Saw that done. Looks fantastic, don't know what it costs. I'd just fix what you got and put a rubber mat in the back. Live and learn. Oh BTW the plastic containers got scratched to shit but they never broke. Abuse on a whole new scale. Sharp steel parts. Razor sharp slugs coming off the machines. Automotive parts. Tons of them would fit in one of those bins. Of course they overloaded everything. Come in in the morning to a mound of slugs. Use a shovel to find the bucket then use the forklift to tip it up so the excess could be put in a second bin. Snow drift of steel idea.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #56
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I like that the plastic beds are less weight than steel and don't dent.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #57
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
...they should make the frames out of plastic then...

I would treat it like a truck, beat the shit out of it for 5 years, then if I was going to keep it and it it looked 'really' bad I would just Line-X it.

$400 for the spray in over 5 years of abuse is $80 per year. And my bed would look like brand new and never scratch white again. And yes, Line-X does stick to the composite, it will not peel, and several members have done it already. For people that are gagging at the cost, how much would you pay to make your bed new again?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #58
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
Plastic or Steel? I used to wonder that too. I worked in a steel place and they put every part in plastic containers. Tons of parts in plastic containers. Slid them across the concrete floor with a forklift. pick them up by the handles with the forks. No way steel would take 1/10 of that abuse.
I have worked in several warehouses including UPS. Plastic sliding across concrete would eventually thin out and wear through the plastic. Think of the plastic Big Wheel wheels when we were kids. I wore through the front and back wheels sliding around on the asphalt and concrete. Steel wheels would have been awesome. Who wrote that song with the line "wheels of steel"?

As far as reparing the composite...I was a factory rider for GT in their hay day and kept a stable of thermoplastic carbon GT STS frames. If they got nicked and needed a repair, the 'factory' procedure from the pit crew was a mix of super glue and clear nail polish. Use very little super glue as used alone it will eat through carbon/plastic.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #59
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Think of the plastic Big Wheel
Obviously the bins we where using where not made by Big Wheel then. They where tough but they where made of plastic.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #60
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Did someone mention a bed cracking!!!??? That would be a great opportunity!!!