Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Composite bed damage

Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #61
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Look you guys.....All he wanted was advise on how to fix the damage. Weather or not you would fix it, is not the point. Either help, or move on.
I hate it when I post a serious question and it gets bombarded with un productive responses. So I apologize

Like many have said -- a wood (composite stuff won't rot) have it routed out to fit exactly. You may want to look into attaching some 1/4 inch strips underneath. This would be for tow reasons. So you can spray out any grime underneath and to possibly attach some real d rings that will carry a larger load. I would remove the bolts that attach the bed to the frame and use those points ugh larger bolts to secure it to the bed. All that is just an idea -- not sure if it will really work well but vie thoughtof it so I can confidently load my 650lb bike with gear in the back. Those d rng wouldn't last the trip out of the drive of my house. As far as repair -- IMO you would be hard pressed to get it
back to looking like it never happend. Just repaint and you wont notice it as much.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #62
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Did someone mention a bed cracking!!!??? That would be a great opportunity!!!

I'm sorry, that's not a bed. How can you sleep in that?
If you want to fix it, try a $10 surfboard repair kit. Mix in some carbon powder or graphite powder and you'll be good. I would not use paint as it would just fade/scratch/dull and look bad later on. If you could find carbon powder, you'd be set! I know many injection molders use it, just a thought.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #63
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
well i also have white scratches all over my bed i sent a day coloring them in with a black sharpie.........haha jk

but really its no big deal the bed is way strong and will never rust and the scratches fade over time, its not really noticeable unless you have people staring at your bed all the time
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #64
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Look you guys.....All he wanted was advise on how to fix the damage. Weather or not you would fix it, is not the point. Either help, or move on.

when i said "i still think it holds up better than the metal beds" i should have included.. "i agree the gouges are a diffferent color and i don't know how to fix it"

-didn't mean to jack the thread
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #65
MAPLENUTS is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVEN
MAPLENUTS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
I use my truck and will continue to use my truck, but i dont like to mess it up... be it the bed the doors bumper or interior. I asked yall to see if yall had some helpful ideas not about how i could fix it, not about how i should use it.

Be helpful or GTFO
Burgman, I totally agree with you. I bought my certified preowned truck. Yeah it's used, but new to me and I want it to be as nice as possible. I will use Herculiner bed coating (seems to do the trick, lots of work, but looks like a spray in liner) to get it looking better, no scratches and I use it as I like. Tow my boat. Carry my Kayaks. Pickup some crap up at Home Depot, whatever, but I will keep it looking good. Mine is not a work truck, and a pickup need NOT be a work truck. It is my daily driver to my bureaucratic pencil pushing, computer geek job, and I enjoy driving it. Without scratches, thank you very much.

Oh and I do have a Boxster that I only use on the weekends, as someone mentioned.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #66
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I noticed several scuffs on the composite bed when hauling my motor cycle around. I would think Toyota would have thought about this. I hate having to spend on a bed mat on top of what I paid for the truck. sign...
it would do the same thing on a metal bed, but the difference is that it would be rusting through 5 years later.

For the OP: any epoxy based adhesive will do the job of sealing the scratch so moisture does not get in. I would do it once a year.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #67
ScreamingEagle101 is on a distinguished road

Army: SSG Ret., 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division
ScreamingEagle101's Tacoma Gallery
Scratched mine. Bitched about it, then moved on. It's a truck.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #69
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Aren't you supposed to scratch your bed?
Old 02-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #71
HolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HolyHandGrenade's Tacoma Gallery
Just noticed this thread is old, but maybe this will help someone else.

I stopped reading, so this may have been mentioned already...

I don't know how you can fix what's been done, but you can prevent it on the cheap like this:

I just cut out spots for my added D-rings. It works great.

Tractor Supply sells this rubber matting by the foot. I just cut it to fit. $35.

I didn't buy it because I was worried about the bed. I bought it because I was tired of hearing things bang around in he be... If you don't like the way it looks, just take it out when you're not hauling engines around.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #72
cabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud of

Name: billy
cabo wabo's Tacoma Gallery
I would apply JB Weld , spray paint the area and buy a Tacoma OEM Bed Mat.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #73
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I did g flex ( its a marine grade epoxy) got from West Marine.. I had drilled 8 large holes in my bed ...( I have a write up in my build thread) but anyway I used that and once hardened I painted with dupicolor trim paint.. and it patched perfect!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #74
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
In the way of cheap, functional bed liner, I just saw a working fisherman's S10 with these honeycomb anti-fatigue, shop mats in the bed.

I bet it is also great as anti-slip if you need to work on the bed when wet.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #75
First Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
First Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Same here...
I linexed my Colorado but my Tacoma I bought a couple quarts of liquid liner from Autozone! two coats worked well!
Just get some and coat over those marks and your problem is over !
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #76
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade View Post
Just noticed this thread is old, but maybe this will help someone else.

I stopped reading, so this may have been mentioned already...

I don't know how you can fix what's been done, but you can prevent it on the cheap like this:

I just cut out spots for my added D-rings. It works great.

Tractor Supply sells this rubber matting by the foot. I just cut it to fit. $35.

I didn't buy it because I was worried about the bed. I bought it because I was tired of hearing things bang around in he be... If you don't like the way it looks, just take it out when you're not hauling engines around.

I know old thread is old but does that matt let you slide stuff in? or does it have grip?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:29 AM   #77
HolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HolyHandGrenade's Tacoma Gallery
It has enough grip to keep things from sliding around. It's not glue though. I've never had any trouble getting anything in or out. That lug wrench in the pictures stays put, if that says anything.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #78
nextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to all

nextfriday's Tacoma Gallery
No problems with the structural integrity if the bed because a few gouges. Buy a small can of roll on bedliner and be done with it.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #79
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Just use a black sharpie and you'll barely notice them.