Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd GEN Tacoma Locking gas door

Old 07-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
2nd GEN Tacoma Locking gas door MOD

Hello all, im thinking of punching a hole in my gas door and putting in a lock core, I have never seen anyone do this to a Gen2 Tacoma. I currently have a locking gas cap (stant) that is a little flimsy and easy to break into. I know that the 1st Gen Tacoma had a locking gas door option but none for us, What gives?? Anyways im going to add a lock core to the fuel door this weekend so i will post pics and a writeup about it soon!!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it's really disappointing that Toyota was too cheap to put a lock on the fuel door or have one of those door release mechanisms on the bottom of the dash like how they use to. I have the cheapo stant locking cap too, but hey, better than no lock I guess.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough
2007tacoOldLineSt's Tacoma Gallery
Have you attempted the mod yet?

Here is a link to a pretty cool in cab push button mod. Its a thread on the site...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-door-mod.html

Pretty sweet. I think I am just going to order the locking cap though. I need those "switch" areas for my future rocket launcher and zombie deterrent mods.

Actually I just don't think I have the ability or desire to make this mod happen. But again, pretty sweet.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
superminsoo is on a distinguished road

superminsoo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to superminsoo
I wish i had the locking gas door also but i dont think it's a new thing... I see first generation tacomas without locking gas doors all the time and i've had people ask me about my dad's 03 tundra locking gas door. The tundra came with a locking door that fits the car key so I dont know maybe it's a dealer thing? Also, i almost never see a truck with a locking door. Only SUV's and cars seem to have them.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
asus611 is on a distinguished road
asus611's Tacoma Gallery
I have a first gen but I don't have the locking door. I just bought a locking stant cap, like other poster said its better than nothing.

When I used to park my car outside my GF's apartment there was 2 times when I would walk out in the morning, see my "door" open, but no gas was siphoned. They skipped mine and went for the car next to mine instead. I'm sure with some "finessing" with a screwdriver it would be removed ,but hey a visual deterrent is at least better than none....even if its not a locking door
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
go buy a locking cap... not expensive
Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking for a locking Gas cap.
Advance Auto Parts did not have one. They also stated they didn't have one for 2011 or 2010.
If someone has a part# and brand I would appreciate it.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007tacoOldLineSt View Post
Have you attempted the mod yet?

Here is a link to a pretty cool in cab push button mod. Its a thread on the site...

Pretty sweet. I think I am just going to order the locking cap though. I need those "switch" areas for my future rocket launcher and zombie deterrent mods.

Actually I just don't think I have the ability or desire to make this mod happen. But again, pretty sweet.
I decided not to try punching a hole in the door for a lock, after looking at the shape of the door and what is behind it, i think it would be near impossible to find a good spot.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
southpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to behold
southpier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacoma View Post
I am looking for a locking Gas cap.
Advance Auto Parts did not have one. They also stated they didn't have one for 2011 or 2010.
If someone has a part# and brand I would appreciate it.

me too!

(2011 if it matters)

thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
If someone can break the cap (which you can replace cheaply), what will keep them from using a screwdriver to pry open the door (which will result in a very costly repair to the door and the bed side)?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
What gives with the Stant locking caps? After buying one a few years back when I got my truck I found that it could be removed just by twisting it. Took it back and they said Stant was aware of the problem and came out with a new updated version. I got it and it worked well for a couple years but now I can just twist the dam thing off by hand again! WTF??

edit...just got a Murray locking cap part# 5509. It can either be used as a regular cap or lockable. As long as it doesn't throw a cel it looks like it should work.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
why not just let them try to siphon the gas out and then fail cause there is a screen. Oh and dont make enemies so people dont put shit in your tank.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
There is a threaded Toyota locking gas cap sold in Canada, PN C0170-00020. You can call up a Canadian dealer and order by phone. Price is $20 or so.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Man DON'T drill a hole and mount a lock. That would be totally tweaker.

The hot ticket would be to develop a lock using a power door lock solenoid and link it to your power door locks on your car. That should be pretty easy to do I'd think.

Good macgyver.

RZ Rob
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Man DON'T drill a hole and mount a lock. That would be totally tweaker.

The hot ticket would be to develop a lock using a power door lock solenoid and link it to your power door locks on your car. That should be pretty easy to do I'd think.

Good macgyver.

RZ Rob
Not so much for me personally. As soon as I get out, I lock my doors. Even if I'm standing right next to them filling up.

Edmonton can have some pretty nasty parts of town. Now it's just a force of habit.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #17
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
as someone who has a locking gas door i personally dont like it, have to get the damn key out instead of listening to the radio at the gas station.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
Benbro is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
Benbro's Tacoma Gallery
Canadian Locking Gas Cap PN-C0170-00020

Does any one have experience with this Canadian Toyota Locking cap on their American evaporative system Tacoma.
Some of the 4-Runner websites say these caps sometimes trip a fault light but not always.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #19
elutheros will become famous soon enough
Air Force: F-4 WSO
elutheros's Tacoma Gallery
I pioneered the electrically actuated gas cap door lock back in October and I'm quite happy with it. Like anything on the security side, it is a deterrent, not a 100% solution. If you decide to go that route, spend some time looking at various manufacturers locking mechanisms in the junk yard. I like the Mazda solenoid, but the Volvo system on the 850s and subsequent models seems to provide more security.

Hope you find a solution that suits you.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #20
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
why not just let them try to siphon the gas out and then fail cause there is a screen. Oh and dont make enemies so people dont put shit in your tank.
What he said.