Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My new low mileage 2006 TRD double cab

Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
My new low mileage 2006 TRD double cab

Just picked up this Tacoma Saturday afternoon. Was originally 23,995. Talked them down to 19,275. It's a 2006 Tacoma TRD Sport, 1 owner, clear Carfax report with documented maintenance and only 26,000 miles

I've shown it to many people at my firehouse, 2 of witch were once car salesmen... and it checks out with all of them. Everybody commented on how clean it was, which even surprised me.

My only issue now is the fact that the manual transmission is quite a ride. I havn't been able to get any clean launches in 1st and every time I shift to 2nd my RPMs are either too low or everything clunks together.

Am I really supposed to be keeping it in 1st until 15mph?

Can I let out the clutch a little bit without burning it up?
The push is very long and I've been dropping the clutch all this time because I thought you couldn't rest your foot on it. Is it ok to have the clutch half way in/out?
Attached Thumbnails
My new low mileage 2006 TRD double cab-0717101740a.jpg   My new low mileage 2006 TRD double cab-0717101739a.jpg   My new low mileage 2006 TRD double cab-dsc01217.jpg   My new low mileage 2006 TRD double cab-dsc01218.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the purchase...glad you like it. You've got lots of company in your complaints about the 6 speed...just do a search on it and you will see you're not alone.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Check your manual for ideal shifting points but if it's bogging down going into the next gear, you prob. need to stay in that gear, pick up some speed before shifting to the next gear. Try slowly gassing it while slowly releasing the clutch at the same time to get a smoother take off. I have an auto but driven sev. sticks shifts in the past. Congrats on the new truck.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Working on my dirt tan
TacoMTB will become famous soon enoughTacoMTB will become famous soon enough
TacoMTB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBandit View Post
My only issue now is the fact that the manual transmission is quite a ride. I havn't been able to get any clean launches in 1st and every time I shift to 2nd my RPMs are either too low or everything clunks together.

Am I really supposed to be keeping it in 1st until 15mph?

Can I let out the clutch a little bit without burning it up?
The push is very long and I've been dropping the clutch all this time because I thought you couldn't rest your foot on it. Is it ok to have the clutch half way in/out?
Congrats on the new truck, looks good! Off the line the clutch seems to have very little take-up to engage first gear (I'm guessing maybe 1.5" max) and it's right near the top of the pedal travel. It took me a few weeks to really get the hang of it but it's fine now. First gear is more like a crawling gear so don't expect 40mph out of it, lol. I shift between around 2800 rpm into second and there's no chugging or lurch. If I'm rolling up to a light that's about to change I'll keep it in second (unless the speed drops below 10mph), then lightly feather the clutch to get her rolling again. Works like a charm.

Enjoy your new ride man.