1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FireStone Ride-Rite Install question...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kritter, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Sep 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    The Ride Rites are made by Firestone. Not sure what you are trying to communicate here?

2. Sep 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    This is a great write-up...thanks for taking the time and explaining the process. I'm new to this and wondered...with a on-board air supply can you add different amounts of air per side (to fix the Taco lean) or do both sides raise up simultaneously?

3. Sep 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Definitely interested in installing some of these. Thank you for the pics!

Why would they tell you to cut the bump stop? Wouldn't it make more sense just to remove them, in case you wanted to take the bags off later and return to the stock setup? I guess the remaining stop supports the mounting bracket?

4. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5

I don't know why they say to cut them off but I did anyway. I think it was dumb for me to do that and if I did it again I would use better judgement and remove them and throw them in a box. I might sell the air bag kit seperatly some day when I am ready to sell the truck, and if I do, I'll just get some new jounce bumpers.

5. Sep 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    I was hesitant to cut the bump stops off as well, but during installation it seemed fairly obvious that it is to assist in keeping them in place. If you don't want to cut them, go with the air lift brand. They bolt on to the leaf in front of the axle, but can't carry as much weight.

6. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    spamy

spamy Truck guy

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Sorry yea, meant Air Lift "Ride Control" air springs. Same deal as the firestones, just easier to install but less load carrying capacity. I think these will support 2k pounds and the firestones are like 5k lbs.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/59561-tacoma-air-springs.html

7. Sep 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    PIC's? Is the added weght carrying capability in addition to the stock weight the TACO will carry? If anyone has an opinion---what is best and why?

8. Sep 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    spamy

spamy Truck guy

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    I think they both have a disclaimer in the instructions that say dont go over the GWVR no matter what the bags are rated for.

9. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I posted my experience with Air Lift Ride Control bags a few mos ago.
    Good product...too bad we need them.
    Don't bother with on-board air......
    15lb seems about right...

10. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I installed Airlift RideControl bags last weekend
    http://www.suncoreindustries.com/AIR...suspension.php
    Kit was pretty straightforward.
    No drilling is a nice feature.
    I will contact tech re install instructions for drivers side...it looked a little offset from the leaf using their instructions.
    Results....I put 30lb in after install and got 1 5/8" lift!
    Too much for my purposes.
    Ride quality was very good. Firm, not harsh.
    Understand....Thanks to the quality engineering Toyota is known for, I've been riding on the bumpstops in back for yrs....never knew what rear springs felt like.
    I reduced inflation pressure to 10lbs...you could see the rear come down as I released air.
    Looks better at 10lb, not a big diff in ride quality.
    Loaded truck with me, wife, kid=@400lb total....add shitload of vacation gear, easily another 300lb in the bed....so total 700lb.
    Drive over the mountains and back...some bottoming , not as bad as stock.
    Return drive was on a Sunday...if a tire store was open, I would have added air....thinking 15lb is about right.
    FYI, I ran the airlines into the trailer electrical socket, drilled two holes above that into the flange that it mounts to....pretty clean and out of the way.
    If you have a 3leaf rear, I think this airbag idea is the right solution.
    YMMV

11. Oct 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    I have the ride-ride set up as well and love it. We have to cut the bump stops because the bracket that is molded into the bumpstop, at the base is what keeps the rear axle aligned on the leaf springs.

I just picked up a set of used bump stops on here for $15 (people who have changed leaf packs have them sitting around), cut them on a band saw and swapped out for the factory ones when i was doing the install. It was very starightforward.
    I thought of getting the second set of bumpstops, so i can take my truck back to stock when i sell it; further into the project i realized that it actually made the install easier.
    Excellent write up by the OP. I did the install, loaded up the truck with my stuff + hooked up a 400# trailer with my cruiser bike (weighs about 500#) on it, inflated the bags to 20# and drive from Baltimore to Ottawa without a problem. The ride quality was wonderful! One of my fav mods of all time....

12. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Lea, I have the Air Lift wireless system. I mounted the modulator valve in the drivers side bed compartment, and ran the wires and air hose along the frame to the compressor mounted on the drivers side fender behind the fuse box. I had to lengthen some of the wires to reach the front. As you can see, I ran out of wire loom and haven't quite finished. The modulator valve separates the left and right hoses to each air bag. You shouldn't use only one air tube or the air will go to the side of least resistance when the truck leans. Does this make sense, because I'm confused. j/k.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jan 2, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    brp

brp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sam i02, could you clarify what you mean here?

"I just picked up a set of used bump stops on here for $15 (people who have changed leaf packs have them sitting around), cut them on a band saw and swapped out for the factory ones when i was doing the install. It was very starightforward.
    I thought of getting the second set of bumpstops, so i can take my truck back to stock when i sell it; further into the project i realized that it actually made the install easier."

-Did you install the bump stops that you pre-cut on the band saw?

-If so, can you just loosen the big u-bolts that attach the axle to the leafs, and wiggle out the bump stops? (it seems it might mess with alignment, but I am not sure)

-What "actually made the install easier"?

Thanks for the great how-to and discussion.

14. Jan 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    sam_i02

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    brp - yep, you got it. I believe i also took some pics during the install. I can dig them up it you think it may help you.

- yes i simply removed the old bumpstops by losening the 2 U-bolts that hold the leaf pack and axle housing together. The stock bumps wiggle out once you have about 1/2" of clearance. Couple precautions I took were: I took a big a$$ C-clamp and clamped the leaf pack together (not the axel, just the leaf pack), so it did not come apart when i took the U-bolts out. I did one side at a time and had the axel housing supported by a floor jack, on the side i was working on. It was very easy to do. Just spray the U-bolt nuts with penetrating oil beforehand and let them soak for a little while.

- i think not having to cut the stock bumps on the truck saved me lots of time and effort. I did these in a freinds driveway as we were in an apartment back then. I took less than a minute to cut the new ones on the bandsaw and it was a nice clean cut, close to the steel plate.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

15. Jan 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    sam_i02

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    whatdayaknow. i had the pics on my desktop the whole time. Here they are:
    1) This one shows the stock bumps removed. Note that the C-clamp is perfectly hidden by the shock absorber! And you can only slightly see the bottle jack underneath the axel right below the leafpack.
    [​IMG]

2) Here is the pre-cut bumpstop ready to install. In this pic you can see part of the C-clamp which i talk about. It helped keep the leafs from moving from their original position. The bottle jack at the base of the leaf pack did not let the axel move, once the U bolts were loosened.
    [​IMG]

3) Here are the "new" bumpstops installed and tightened. A side note: I noticed some corrosion on the U-bolts where they go thru the lower bracket, so i sanded them and caked some grease on em. Hopefully that prevents mositure and crud from getting in there for a little bit..
    [​IMG]

16. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:53 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    gotta wonder why all the AALs and "tsb" springs.. air bags are awesome. Don't like having to cut up my bump stops, but no biggie.

17. Feb 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    sam_i02

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    agreed! Stock bumps can be purchased on the cheap right here on TW. I think i paid $10/pair for mine!

18. Sep 17, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    Ed Gordon

Ed Gordon Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4.0L
    P3 brake controller, Raptor running boards, firestone ride rite air bags
    Thanks for the great info! I installed a set on my new 2011 Tacoma this morning. Took me about 4 hours. Drivers side took three times as long due to gas tank and spare is over that way. I would recommend dropping the spare....I should have. Passenger side was a breeze. Routing the air lines is simple and took advice from another post and just put the air stems in the 7 pin connector bracket. Good location and out of the way. Be sure to have a way to tighten the big 1 1/16th ( I belive that is the size) Bolts to the frame. Luckily I had two sets of sockets this size. I am running them at 18lbs for a couple days just to see if they hold pressure then probably drop them to 10lbs. I took it on a ride and seems to help with high speed cornering. Just got this truck and towed my 4000lb camper home to clean it up and winterize it. Bottomed out on some rough gravel roads. Should be taking it back in a few days to storage and will report back how she rides with air bags installed now. I sprayed the soapy water on the air connections and did find a leak. I recommend following instructions and checking.

Took camper back last weekend and air bags definitely did the trick. Truck and camper stayed level and did fine on gravel roads. Seems to ride a little stiffer in the rear but no adverse affects other than feeling bumps a bit more.

19. Apr 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    littleblue81

littleblue81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bringing this thread back up. Was wondering how these air bag units affect suspension with regards to off-roading and articulation.

And just to be clear, if one wanted to lift their truck, with these airbags you wouldn't need any aal or block in the rear?

Side note: I don't have a Tacoma yet but plan on getting one. At this point, I'm thinking a mild lift with 5100's. I have a boat that I tow on occasion so I'm curious about the bags.

Thanks

20. Apr 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    Captarm

Captarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Armand
    Maine and Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Silver/Black, Tinted windows
    Leather Arm Rest Firestone Ride-rite K&N oil air Filter Wet Okole Black/Gray w heated seats Alpine CDE-123 receiver w Blue tooth,MP3,USB port AP Rock-sliders Viper Auto starter, should have gotten with alarm Anytime Fogs NOKYA7626 yellow lights Muth Heated, Signal Mirror Leer Cap Silver stream line top Differential Breather Mod
    I put a set on my truck 2010. I put the 2 air filler behind the gas cap door. I didn't cut the bumper off, I just loosen the bracket and slipped then out, then tighten the bolts down again. Also I found that if I jacked the truck up on it's the axial, blocked the frame just forward of the spring and then lowed the axial down, gave me a plenty of room to work. I had a set on my Chev k10 and which had a slide in camper. The ride-rite worked great with a heavy load and I could level side to side having two filler. Great product. Oh' also made the ride on really rough roads a lot smother, doesn't bottom out on the bumpers any more. Kids noticed the better ride.

Products Discussed in

To Top