1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire Carrier for 2nd gen (uses OEM bed bolts)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Beefed Taco, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Click the picture, he has made them for a few other trucks.

2. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco [OP] Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Thanks for the compliments guys, very much appreciated. This came about when a guy ordered a smaller street style carrier from my site, and when I contacted him regarding what he was going to put on it, he told me a 35" tire, and possibly a 38" to 39" in the future. He had a 2nd gen Taco. I decided to make this off road style T handle type instead of what he ordered knowing there could be a couple more people interested in one. I wanted to disperse the weight onto the bed bolts instead of just the bed itself.

Shipping

The next one I make is going to have the 2 main tubes the tire sits on, attach to the front wall with bolts instead of being welded for the sake of cheaper shipping. It makes the difference of about $40 compared to the $100 this last one cost to ship. Here are a few pics, I know it's not a Taco but I tossed it into my friend's truck to show it on the Tundra forum too.

btw, I can make these lower to fit under a cover, which is what the little street style one was originally designed for. The tire will just have to lay flatter. I'd love to build another one of these, I have some sliders that I'm working on currently and will get those out and move onto the carrier. Regardless, I'll definitely be building another one of these, I like how it turned out too. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handle has a tab for a cable lock

[​IMG]

the street style one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    The guy received his carrier and I'm waiting on pics via e-mail. I'll post 'em when I get 'em. He likes the way it bolts in and asked if I could do something similar for another truck he has. Looking forward to seeing this thing in a Taco. I have an idea of building another that uses the rear bed bolts and sits at the rear of the truck, this is just the start of a few styles to come. I was PMed and asked about a swingout type, and I'd love to do one, but I'll need a donor truck to do the first one from.

4. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
  5. Aug 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    or you could just buy a better (2nd) gen ;) haha nah just playin i would hate to see brian with a 2nd gen it'll put all of us lowered guys to shame lol

anyway tire carrier looks MEAN!

6. Aug 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    haha, thanks Kelson, hope your truck is doing good.

I'd like to make another one of these here soon, but with the couple changes I plan on doing to keep shipping costs in the $45 range instead of the $100 range like this first one was. The dude was happy with it and said it worked great. As for a swingout style, would definitely love to do one so I'll start some R&D and get moving on something like it for the 2nd gen. Maybe I can make the first one on Steven's truck since we're going to get together soon and finish his original style sliders I made for him a while back. Look for those soon in my slider thread. I'm doing one similar for my Chevy, but it's going to unlatch and drop downward toward the ground so the tire can simply be rolled off and the other tire rolled on without having to lift it all the way up to install it. I'll post pics when it's done.

This model uses the front OEM bed bolts to eliminate pull through :thumbsup:

7. Aug 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Let me know if you do a sb 5ft dc, 1st gen. I'd be all over it. But it needs to be to the rear so I can still use a toolbox in the bed.

8. Aug 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Sounds good. I'll build one here soon and post it up. I should have the bolt measurements for that model written down.

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    lepedog23

lepedog23 Taco Rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Huntington Park
    Vehicle:
    Wrecked 2002 4Runner 4x4 trying to rebuild ***Sold2001 DC Tacoma. Stock. Salvage Title MOD.
    Wrecked 2002 4Runner 4x4 ***Sold 2001 Tacoma, Salvage Title MOD. ***Sold 2010 Tacoma doublecab prerunner
    i would be interested in a quick disconnect one as well. long bed.

10. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    Id be interested in something like this if it can be taken off pretty easily. Few times a week i haul my motorcycle around.

11. Dec 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    sleepdr

sleepdr Active Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR, Black Sand Pearl
    I know nothing about metalwork, but wonder if this could be done: a QD or easily removable model using bed bolts. Have the permanently attached part at the bolts be low profile, and incorporate tie-down rings. Carrier out, you have tie-downs for your bikes, furniture, etc. Carrier in, you can run a cable lock through that tie-down to keep it from walking away in a parking lot.

Products Discussed in

To Top