1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

are we nearing the end of the manual transmission?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06redtacoma, Jul 26, 2010.

?

End of the manual?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2010.
  1. YES.

78 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. NO!

132 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. I dont know.

20 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Jul 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Even in the taco, some manuals are going away. I wanted a TRD Sport DC Long Bed Manual tranny. None to be found. They dont even make a manual in a long bed.

Had to settle for a short bed.

2. Jul 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    Driving stick shift should be part of getting a drivers license. If you can't drive it then you cant drive.

3. Jul 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Yes-ish.

The only people who want manuals anymore are boutique buyers that:

- like the feel
    - think "it's just right"
    - etc.

Pretty soon, to cut costs and leverage economies of scale, manuals will be an upsell option costing more, just like autos used to be.

That's really not a bad thing. Autos are as reliable as manuals these days, the gas mileage differences are insignificant.

Manuals only really make sense in muscle cars, roadsters, and super cars where the point is to flog them for fun. The extra "something-to-do" in the cockpit contributes to the activity of recreational driving. Everywhere else, they're just a pain in the ass.

4. Jul 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Wow! I never thought I'd be lumped into the "Boutique" category of anything. I have been called many things in my life, but I think I resent this one the most;)
    :sigh:

5. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's

Well I love my 5 speed stick in my Toyota 4x4. I have better gear ratio's than an automatic too. There is also more control of the vehicle. I do agree on the cost thing for sticks going up though. My Saturn sl also a stick shift. My wifes Ford has an automatic in it. A big POS. I'll stay with a stick shift anyday.

6. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    For all of you guys that are saying the manual will never die,I have to disagree. There are only about 3 vehicles total that ONLY come with a manual, and in about 85% of all vehicles you cant even get a manual if you want one. BMW is the only manufacturer I know of that still puts a manual in most of their line. It's dying off, quick too.

7. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    cbRC4x4sr5

cbRC4x4sr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    lewisburg ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 mgm reg cab sr5 4x4
    front 5100's set to 2.5", rear 5100's + Add-A-leaf kit, class 3 hitch, yellow wire mod, ventvisors, volant cai, diff breather mod, ranger rci 6900 cb, custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler, hella micro ff fogs, ridgid dually leds

x2 except the auto part

p.s. I am 28 years old and of the 15+ cars and trucks that I have had since I started driving at 16 only 4 of them were automatics.:burnrubber:

8. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    WTF is the "Boutique" category ? :confused: Always learning something new on TW. Don't know what it is that I am. :rolleyes:

9. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    cobrakenny

cobrakenny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Crew Cab 4x4 LB
    Wow tough question!
    I guess it depends on who you are and how it's used. I prefer an auto on my truck because I use it mostly for work around town and tow regularly. However I just got back from a long weekend at the Gap in my Miata and couldn't even imagine having done it with an automatic. And finally I'd rather stop riding than have an auto on my bike!
    Can't we continue to have both?

10. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    beachbumberry

beachbumberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    leveling kit, american racing rims, push bar, nerf bars
    in england (where i live now) you're hard pressed to find an auto, and your insurance rates go up for having one. they have the idea that if you drive an auto, you can't drive well enough to drive a stick, so you are probably a bad driver. my taco is a standard and i love it!

11. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    "Better" gear ratios? Define better.

"More control of the vehicle" is pretty moot at this point as the Auto has a gated selector which allows you to specify gears when needed (offroad, bad weather driving, towing, etc.) - yes, you technically have a few tricks we don't, like clutch drops, but that shit's so hard on a vehicle I'd never do it anyway.

Again, I see the point of manuals in a toy like a pony car or Porsche that actually have cornering, acceleration, and steering to allow for a fun driving experience. In a daily driver or workhorse vehicle, all a manual will really do is piss the driver off in stop n go traffic.

12. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    BH15001

BH15001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC LB SR5
    Sad to say I think they are on the way out. Check out the 2011 Ford full size line.
    No manual option all the way up through the F350.

13. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Well, Solid axle is gone
    Gear driven transfer case is gone
    Manual hubs are gone
    Manual 4x4 is gone
    I am pretty sure manual tranny will be gone too.
    BTW I hope I am wrong and for the sake of offroading they keep manuall tranny

14. Jul 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    TheOtherGuy

TheOtherGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cajun Country
    Vehicle:
    05 Access 4x4
    I just did a search on ebay motors for all cars and trucks with model years of 2005-2010 and these are the numbers on vehicles currently for sale.
    Automatics: 18,584
    Sticks: 2,819

That is approximately 15% of the 2005-2010 cars and trucks for sale on ebay are Sticks. Unfortunately it looks like sticks are on their way out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jul 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:

I enjoy my stick for offroading. 1st and 4 low in an older toyota thats been re gear'd you cant beat it. With an auto if you are crawling they tend to overheat without a trans cooler. I can use my rpm's better over all than an auto. Like for slowing down or towing a trailer. I had a jeep with an auto. I hated it. Going down steep grades when wheel'n you had to stay on the brakes. Even when shifted all the way in 1st and 4lo. My toy will just walk. Its like anything some people just like auto's and some like sticks. Yes I agree with the stop and go traffic though. I would drive an auto if I lived in the city.

16. Jul 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:

Sad that all that is going away. Older 4x4s will be coming more popular compared to some of the junk they are building these days.

17. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:55 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Subaru? The WRX only comes in manual... and most of their other vehicles also primarily focus around manuals as well.

18. Jul 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I think government regulations mandating things like emissions and fuel economy performance will box mfr's into it. They'll need to do as much as possible to control the engine's performance envelope for the largest number of driver/owners, the only way to do that is with automated controls.

The only reason manuals are so popular in the nanny state (EU) is because they tax the crap out of owners with larger displacement engines leaving tiny little torqueless 4 bangers for the proletariat. It's just a different approach to the way the US does things.

19. Jul 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I love the brits :D

20. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    beachbumberry

beachbumberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    leveling kit, american racing rims, push bar, nerf bars

dude me too, they dont mess around. you get caught without your road tax or MOT, they don't write you a ticket, they call in a mobile crusher and crush it right there, no stopping them. they are just a no BS group of people... except for thier bureaucrats, they like BS

Products Discussed in

To Top