Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RIP Bambi - Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
təkōmə is on a distinguished road
Name: Jarz
təkōmə's Tacoma Gallery
RIP Bambi - Thanks!

Well on the way to the airport 3 weeks ago at 4am, Bambi decided to step out in front of the truck. Not what I needed on the way to my honeymoon. It was amazing when i hit the deer it got airborn and landed sideways on its feet about 25 feet in front of the truck then proceeded to stumble away. I was probably travelling about 35 mph as i was braking from 55. Anyways, damage included headlight brackets on both headlights cracked, small crack in front bumper, grille cracked, hood release support dented, a/c line dented, trim popped out.

I took advantage of this situation and upgraded to the color match grille from the 2009/2010 sport model (with the anachrite center) and smoked headlights. I went with the newer grille because the unpainted plastic grille has a tendency to fade. I may eventually Satoshi the new grille as well. I was actually pretty pumped about this because my headlights were faded and I hate chrome, so thanks Bambi! I've only owned my truck for a month too!

hood release bracket:

broken headlight tabs:

Cracked grille:

Can you believe this is $1600 in damage?

The facelift! (OEM Smoked headlights, color match grille with anachrite center, new bumper cover)

BEFORE:

AFTER!!

The smoked headlights were a much needed improvement. I was already considering buying the aftermarket black headlights, but I'm much happier with these!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Nice choices on your truck, looks good!

Deer suck out here (I'm in Fuquay-Varina). I have to dodge those damn things at least 3x a month!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Well done. Welcome to the color-matched, scoopless club. Looks a helluva lot better than the chrome doesn't it?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
təkōmə's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Well done. Welcome to the color-matched, scoopless club. Looks a helluva lot better than the chrome doesn't it?
Sure does! I'm thinking about having my rear bumper color matched too at some point.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by təkōmə View Post
Sure does! I'm thinking about having my rear bumper color matched too at some point.
I got price quotes on that and it's something like $500 give or take just for the part.

For that money, might as well go straight to an offroad plate-steel bumper. That's my plan.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Go Pack Go!
hawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Bryce
hawkeye12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
Nice choices on your truck, looks good!

Deer suck out here (I'm in Fuquay-Varina). I have to dodge those damn things at least 3x a month!
Same here in Raleigh. Fuckers are everywhere.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Go Pack Go!
hawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Btw. Love the new look. Big improvement. Did your insurance pay for all of this? If so, I'm goin deer huntin tonight.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
lookin good!!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye12 View Post
Btw. Love the new look. Big improvement. Did your insurance pay for all of this? If so, I'm goin deer huntin tonight.
Come out along Sunset Lake Rd between Holly Springs and Fuquay... at dawn/dusk you'll only have to circle once or twice to hit one.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Go Pack Go!

Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
Come out along Sunset Lake Rd between Holly Springs and Fuquay... at dawn/dusk you'll only have to circle once or twice to hit one.
Ill be there.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
if you don't mind me asking. how much were those smoked oem headlights? i too hate the chrome headlights.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
təkōmə's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance covered the cost of the parts that belonged on the truck, i had to pay the retail difference which ended up being $100.

If anyone is looking for good prices are OEM parts though, Mark Jacobsen Toyota of Durham has a wholesale parts website. The smoked headlights are $210 each vs. $296 each and the color macthed grill is $159 vs $224. I also picked up a TRD quick shifter from them (not found on website) for $275 which is about $50 less than anywhere else that I could find.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #13
təkōmə's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I got price quotes on that and it's something like $500 give or take just for the part.

For that money, might as well go straight to an offroad plate-steel bumper. That's my plan.
I got a quote of $200 from the shop that did the work on my truck to spray my chrome bumper.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by təkōmə View Post
I got a quote of $200 from the shop that did the work on my truck to spray my chrome bumper.
Highly doubt it would look the same, and not taking the chance.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
Kentucky Boy
YotaDude01 is a jewel in the roughYotaDude01 is a jewel in the roughYotaDude01 is a jewel in the rough

YotaDude01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I also picked up a TRD quick shifter from them (not found on website) for $275 which is about $50 less than anywhere else that I could find.
you will love the quick shifter. i have one on my 01'. but your truck looks great. i love color matching bumpers and grills
Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #17
təkōmə's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #18
Hiker with boots or tires
BusyB is a glorious beacon of lightBusyB is a glorious beacon of lightBusyB is a glorious beacon of lightBusyB is a glorious beacon of lightBusyB is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bianca
BusyB's Tacoma Gallery
We found Bamby too coming back from Big Bend and this is how I took advantage of this situation and upgraded.

Just in case I have to hit another.