Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you like cruise control?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the cruise control system?
Yes, I love the feature 863 55.11%
Yes, I like the feature 344 21.97%
Eh, It's nice to have 274 17.50%
No, I don't like it. 54 3.45%
No, I hate it. 31 1.98%
Voters: 1566. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #21
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
It's useful for long highway trips. I don't usually use it but it's also nice to pop on (when safe to of course) so I can move my foot around and pop the joints if it starts cramping up on longer hauls. It is useful especially as it has button acceleration and deceleration (usually it's just acceleration).

If you're setting it to 9mph over the speed limit... it's your fault if you get caught because it went over. Cruise control is meant to keep you near the same speed, but it still has to compensate for varying loads and adjust to compensate.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #22
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms65 View Post
That's why having CC + Manual gearbox = awesome.

It only gets shifted when I want it to!
FTW!

Obviously, it doesn't get used around town, but for slabbing down the freeway on roadtrips, it can't be beat.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
I love it use it daily. Set it and go.

I wish that other drivers would use it more often as nobody seems to have any sense of throttle control. Start using yours and you'll notice it even more. I got behind a couple having a heated discussion one day and every time the driver was talking they sped up by 10 MPH and everytime the passenger was talking the driver dropped back down. Idiot.
I am right there with you ..... that drives me friggin' nuts.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #24
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
I live in semi rural TX.
My cruise is on 75% of the time...

Can't live without it.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #25
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I use cruise control EVERYWHERE, even down the street to the grocery store, im cruised at 35 mph It saves soo much gas
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms65 View Post
That's why having CC + Manual gearbox = awesome.

It only gets shifted when I want it to!
x1241351351251245
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #27
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
screw cruise control...i control my cruising
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #28
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
screw cruise control...i control my cruising
I cruise control so party poopers like u wont pull me over
Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
learn proper throttle control and its not a problem
Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #30
BritMike will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
BritMike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
If you're setting it to 9mph over the speed limit... it's your fault if you get caught because it went over. Cruise control is meant to keep you near the same speed, but it still has to compensate for varying loads and adjust to compensate.
Its no biggie. Like the gas pedal annoyance I know its there and adjust to it now. The cruise just isn't programmed to back off the acceleration enough when its getting close to the set speed when its had to give it a lot of throttle to bring it back up to speed.

The cc in the Taco really is basic, the more advanced cruise controls are really, really good at keeping your speed spot on.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #31
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
ohh but cruise control just does suuuuch a good job, its like....how avoiding tickets was supposed to be done
Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #32
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I love my cruise control!!! Driving on I-80 across the Salt Flats for an hour and a half to get into Salt Lake, cruise control comes in very handy indeed!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #33
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
Cruise control is an extension of me ...... I'd die without it .....
This. ESPECIALLY in Texas.

However the logic on Tacoma's really sucks. As other have posted sometimes it wants to downshift just going up an overpass. Hell even my Mazda3 had a better CC than this Taco.

The trick is to anticipate if it's going to downshift and turn off CC. Then while using the current throttle position just use that and momentum to make it up the hill.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #34
RMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Jay
RMTacoguy30's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine.. But the only time I really use it is on I-95. Plus it took a little getting used to it since its not on the steering when like in my old Honda. I'd probably use it more if it was on the steering wheel.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #35
toyotacoma is on a distinguished road
toyotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
^x2... Maybe if I lived in a more flat area it would work better.
I live in Kansas so it works fine for me
Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #36
red taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cole
red taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Smarta$$.

But now you have me really curious because in all my manual tranny cars in the past, I never had cruise control (only on the autos). How does it handle downshifting to go up a steep hill? Don't tell me you have to cancel and reset it. Or does it control revving while you shift?
You just downshift and hit resume. It automatically cancels with the clutch or the brake so then you just push the little control up and it goes again. Its really not that big of an issue. I can't even think of a time when I've been cruising and noticed needing to downshift and resume cruise control.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #37
kbaum08 will become famous soon enough
kbaum08's Tacoma Gallery
Like most of you I would not own a vehicle without cruise control. However, as others have said the one on the Tacoma can be all over the place as far as maintaining speeds many times accelerating to speeds plus 5mph over the set speed.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #38
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ohh but cruise control just does suuuuch a good job, its like....how avoiding tickets was supposed to be done
Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #39
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I use it on roads that are 25mph because without that it's nearly impossible for me to stay at the speed. Ill be watching the road and before I know it I'm going at least 35.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #40
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i love it. i just wish all of the other california drivers would pick a speed and stick to it.

i come on and off cruise all the time. i go the speed limit and leave it there. i do not need a speeding ticket right now. i just got one.