Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you like cruise control?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the cruise control system?
Yes, I love the feature 863 55.11%
Yes, I like the feature 344 21.97%
Eh, It's nice to have 274 17.50%
No, I don't like it. 54 3.45%
No, I hate it. 31 1.98%
Voters: 1566. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Question Do you like cruise control?

Lately, I have been using the cruise control a lot and I really like it. I reviewed some threads from yesteryear and I am convinced that at some point in time the system underwent a few improvements.

Anyways, I really like the feature. Making a poll now...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I hate mine. even on the slightest hill my truck wants to drop a gear and speed way up. like if im going 55..on a hill it will speed up to 60 and then drop back down..
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I hate mine. even on the slightest hill my truck wants to drop a gear and speed way up. like if im going 55..on a hill it will speed up to 60 and then drop back down..
x2
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^x2... Maybe if I lived in a more flat area it would work better.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
love it but rarely get to use it. I commute from in decent traffic so...

I always use it on road trips...especially I-10
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
That's why having CC + Manual gearbox = awesome.

It only gets shifted when I want it to!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
^x2... Maybe if I lived in a more flat area it would work better.
I live in a flat area and I still dont like it. even going over and overpass it wants to drop gears. I save a lot more gas when NOT using cruise.

On a trip from Idaho to Texas I used cruise for the first tank. I got about 15 MPG. the next tank I would turn cruise off when I was near a hill to keep from droping gears and I got about 17-18 MPG the rest of the trip.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms65 View Post

Smarta$$.

But now you have me really curious because in all my manual tranny cars in the past, I never had cruise control (only on the autos). How does it handle downshifting to go up a steep hill? Don't tell me you have to cancel and reset it. Or does it control revving while you shift?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
O.C. is on a distinguished road

O.C.'s Tacoma Gallery
I use it only on the highway. I have lead footitis. Keeps the coppers away!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I like having it, but I don't use it very often. The highways around here are usually to crowded to use it, I have to change speed so often it's not worth using. For a nice long run on an uncrowded highway, can't beat it.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
kb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
kb1jop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms65 View Post

x10
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
I use it on the highway quite a bit but I especially use it on roads where I know there is heavy police enforcement of the speed limit. There are a couple of curvy roads on the way to my job that motorcycle cops will setup behind bushes in home owners driveways and pick off folks as they come by. For normal everyday driving, it stays off...
Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
BritMike will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
BritMike's Tacoma Gallery
I use it all the time on the highway but the cc on the Tacoma really does suck.

Annoyances:

Down shifts way too early on slight inclines

Will actually go over the set speed when its accelerating back up to speed. (Dodgy when I have it set to 9 over and it will take me to 13 / 14 mph over the limit before it settles back down again).

Most annoying is that if you have any pressure on the gas pedal it will override the cruise control allowing you to actually go slower than the cruise is set for. Other cruise controls I've driven will take back over when the speed reduces back down to the set amount no matter what you're doing with the accelerator pedal.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
fatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
fatty ac1d's Tacoma Gallery
It works pretty good in western Kansas. But as soon as I go East and run into some hills I turn that sucka off.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #17
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Cruise control should be set at engine RPM, instead of MPH/KPH these days.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #18
rob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
I love it use it daily. Set it and go.

I wish that other drivers would use it more often as nobody seems to have any sense of throttle control. Start using yours and you'll notice it even more. I got behind a couple having a heated discussion one day and every time the driver was talking they sped up by 10 MPH and everytime the passenger was talking the driver dropped back down. Idiot.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #19
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I love the feature. Don't really like the one in this truck. The one in my S-10 worked much better and didn't wander near as much.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #20
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I never had it until I owned my Highlander and really liked it for long drives and now my truck has it and I still like it for long drives. It's not a make or break feature when buying a car though.