Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My biggest/heaviest load so far

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #22
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak View Post
What's the issue? They are doing it and are satisfied with the performance. I'm betting those loaded boat trailers are at least 1000lbs below the rated tow capacity and only the tower appears to stick up above the roofline of the truck.

What do you tow with yours?

A diesel is at least $8k more than a Taco. If they step on the gas I bet they can maintain the speed limit pulling those boats. If they buy a Cummins that is tied to a Dodge automatic transmission it probably has no better chance of lasting to 100k miles. If you're right and the Tacoma's transmission doesn't last to 100k a low mileage junkyard trans is ~$1k and two weekends of getting to know your truck intimately. In the mean time they don't need to drive around in a fullsize 3/4 ton when not towing the boat.
If I'm not mistaken a taco's tow capacity is 5k. My family owns a malibu which dry weight is 3900, that's without the 46 gal fuel tank being full and without the trailer and gear and people in the truck etc. Add all those up and I'm betting you will be over your limit. What I'm saying is its nice to be able to have a diesel when you need. Trust me I know about dodge trucks....they blow, I owned one before my taco and the thing blew up at 115k and I was left in the hole.
Oh and I haven't towed over 3k lbs. and I think taco's aren't meant for towing heavy things, they are only a v6.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^ Max towing w/ towing package is 6500lbs.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #24
lrak will become famous soon enoughlrak will become famous soon enough
lrak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
I think taco's aren't meant for towing heavy things, they are only a v6.
You're right. Tacomas are not meant for towing heavy things. Its a midsize truck meant to tow midsize loads. The double cab short bed 4x4 is rated to tow 6500 with ~450lbs of stuff in the truck. They are pretty much the same size, power, and tow capacity as the 1/2 tons from the 1990s.

3900 + 276 gas + 1100 trailer + boards, anchor, lines, life jackets, fenders is approximately 1000lbs below towing capacity
Old 08-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #25
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
For a midsize truck they are extremely capable towing vehicals. 6500lbs is alot of weight and the Taco handles it extremely well.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
911Targa is on a distinguished road
911Targa's Tacoma Gallery
Used to pull my 18ft. Sea Ray , no prob at all .
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #27
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
These trucks can handle a travel trailer fairly nice as well.................
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak View Post
You're right. Tacomas are not meant for towing heavy things. Its a midsize truck meant to tow midsize loads. The double cab short bed 4x4 is rated to tow 6500 with ~450lbs of stuff in the truck. They are pretty much the same size, power, and tow capacity as the 1/2 tons from the 1990s.

3900 + 276 gas + 1100 trailer + boards, anchor, lines, life jackets, fenders is approximately 1000lbs below towing capacity
Whoops 6500lbs. Well I'm just trying to say that its nice to pull a load with a truck that is meant for only towing.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #30
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I hauled a bit over 1600 lbs in the bed. I have dakar leaf packs in the back, still 1600lbs of broken concrete. Used to have a scale pic, but duno where it is. Was sagging a bit in the back but not by much, and the taco hauled the concrete superbly.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #31
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled my brothers 76 Ford pickup on a car dolly with my Taco. Pulled just ducky except the truck was too wide for the dolly. I could tell it was there but I made it to my destination just fine.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #32
Forcritessake is on a distinguished road
Army: MP, 2175th MP CO
Name: Jason
Forcritessake's Tacoma Gallery
I like to save my "biggest/heaviest Loads" for my girlfriend.... but that may be an altogether different post.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #33
bdemick is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: DC2
bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equalizer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3000 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #34
Dsmooth87 has a spectacular aura aboutDsmooth87 has a spectacular aura about
Law Enforcement:
Dsmooth87's Tacoma Gallery
re: Wheel/Tire trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcritessake View Post
I like to save my "biggest/heaviest Loads" for my girlfriend.... but that may be an altogether different post.

HAHA yeah wrong thread
Old 05-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
keynote22 is on a distinguished road
keynote22's Tacoma Gallery

Mine will tow my boat but it definitely aint happy doing it. Mileage drops from 20 to 10 and I have to drop it down one gear to go up a long incline, two if its steep. Then again..... I have 250,000 miles on my rig. Its just fine lake hopping... but its not my first choice for a long trip. Unfortunately long trips is all I take.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #37
keynote22 is on a distinguished road
keynote22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemick View Post
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equalizer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3000 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!

Im happy to see that your experience is the same as mine. I agree... it never feels unsafe and it feels well within the trucks abilities. Hell... I can still out accelerate a lot of ecconoboxes while pulling my boat. The super charger with its extra 100 torque would really make this truck so much better with these weights
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #38
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw1 View Post
i put a ****** load in my gf's mouth...what r u talkin bout " BIG LOAD "?
Wow. I was thinking this but wasn't retarded enough to write it.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #39
bdemick is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: DC2
bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by keynote22 View Post
Im happy to see that your experience is the same as mine. I agree... it never feels unsafe and it feels well within the trucks abilities. Hell... I can still out accelerate a lot of ecconoboxes while pulling my boat. The super charger with its extra 100 torque would really make this truck so much better with these weights

I also pass full size pickups towing travel trailers smaller than what I'm towing on inclines! I'm not pushing the Tacoma too hard and I still have alot of throttle left!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #40
high voltage taco has a spectacular aura abouthigh voltage taco has a spectacular aura about
high voltage taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
For a midsize truck they are extremely capable towing vehicals. 6500lbs is alot of weight and the Taco handles it extremely well.
Can't agree more. We are building a house and yesterday my wife and I went about 45 miles north to get some brick and chimney block to build the chimney with. I took my brother in laws 16 foot trailer to haul it on. After they loaded the 2 pallets of brick I asked the guy about what they weigh and he said 3500 pounds a peice. Then they loaded the 33 flu block and 11 flu liners and 1000 pounds of mortor. I skipped on the sand for now lol. That put about 11,000 pounds on the trailer itself! I was starting to wonder if the trailer was going to handle it. I put 45 pounds of air in the trailer tires before I left and off we go. Thank goodness for the 6 speed or I would have burnt my brakes off. Had to play with the clutch to get took off but after that the truck pulled it pretty good. Figure in about 1k pounds for empty trailer weight and the ol 05 double cab had about 12k pounds behind her. Not bad I say. I love my truck