1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DealerSh*t

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tarheelfan_08, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    yeah if your pre-approved it helps lots its like having cash

2. Jul 31, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    I am trying to build toyotas on their website but it want let me build..is anyone else having this problem?

3. Jul 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    Mark350

Mark350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Come to a Canadian dealership and ask what the best price they can give you is. You'll be skipping back to Northern Charlotte with 28,800 in your hand lol
    God I hate Canadian vehicle prices

4. Jul 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    You can also use that to your advantage as well. Say you're pre approved for 4.0% over 60mo. They will usually try to beat that, so you get say 3.9 or 3.8 over 60. (granted, right now Toyota actually does have 3.9% for 60mo as an incentive).

For the record, Toyota Financial is a great company to deal with... never had an issue. On my total loss they immediately initiated gap insurance without even needing my interaction. Not only that, but I actually got an OVERPAYMENT check back for $345 all said and done. Keep in mind, I had almost 9k in neg equity LOL.

Gap is very worth the price, unless you put like 10 grand down. Depreciation (even on a taco) off the lot is pretty heavy... if you get it wrecked (god forbid) you're instantly out a bunch of cash in a crappy situation. It's saved me, and saved my buddy that I know of so far from near 7k out of pocket.

5. Jul 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    How did they say $26 to you? Did, they say "What if we sold it for $26, what would you do?" If so, they were just trying to bait you and see if you were serious. Its a common tactic, they just did that to ensure that you would return (which you did).

6. Jul 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Also, if another dealer tries this tactic have them put it in writing, grab the paper and walk out then lol. Then go to another dealer and show them "x dealer is willing to offer this, can you beat it?"

7. Jul 31, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Yea I was trying to build one a couple days ago and it wasn't working for me either.

x2!!! :)

8. Jul 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    yea, i got tonight's offer in writing!

9. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    You did the right thing walking out. I walked out of 6 different dealerships before I bought my truck. If you are not patient the dealers will take advantage of that. If you are buying a new truck go to Edmonds.com and print off the TMV price. Take that with you to the dealer. If you get the truck for that price or lower you are doing well.

10. Aug 1, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Always get any offer they throw at you in writing!! Additionally it helps to let them know you are shopping around at other dealerships, as it will make them more honest on their prices.

11. Aug 1, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    Brad30110

Brad30110 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Woodlawn Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco PreRunner Sport
    Here's my two cents... Go to www.usaa.com, click on the car buying service, and enter in all your info, the trucks info and it will tell you the lowest guaranteed price in your area. It might not be exactly that dealer but you can use it as leverage, either they give you that price or you'll go get it here...

How it worked for me... I went to my local dealership and found a Silver DC TRD Sport that I loved. It was 28 something which I wasn't willing to spend. I worked the manager a bit but he wasn't dropping much. I got a copy of the invoice and went home. That night I put everything in the car buying service and it told me a extra 20 minute drive down the interstate I could have the same truck for 25,500. Went by the dealership the next day and told the salesman I wanted the truck for the $25500 or I would give their competitor my business. I walked out with it for $25500, GAP/Extended Warranty for the price of one, and 2 years free maintenance. They defiantly still made money on me but not as bad as it could have been. Just takes a little patience, and don't get sucked in to early. Just an idea for ya... Good luck on the new truck.

12. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    Rich1790

Rich1790 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD SPORT
    Rims, Tints, Weather Techs
    I use USAA car buying service as well. Helps a lot. Before I got the Tacoma I was going to buy a 2010 frontier pro 4x and the stricker was $29,999. I checked the USAA car buying service and they had the price at 23k and 3 dealers in the area willing to sell at that price. I showed the salesman, of course he thought I chose a base model but then showed his manager and they agreed on 23k.

13. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    BH15001

BH15001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC LB SR5
    You did the right thing. Two long drives and they screwed you around, forget that dealer. It is a game. If you get anxious you loose. If a dealer won’t treat you right before the sale, do not expect things to get better after your money is in his pocket.
    Decide exactly what you want package, options and color. Go to the Toyota website and build that truck.
    Use that site to send (email) your specs to every dealer in your area .
    The last line on your email needs to say “Attention all dealers please quote best price and delivery on the above vehicle.” Make sure they have your email address.
    The dealer that wants to sell you a truck will quote you a good price.Go see him and start talking.
    It worked for me.

14. Aug 1, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I did the usaa thing their and got a quote! But how do I print this??

15. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Another thing you have to consider is how much is your time worth? Also, remember it's business not personal. Come in with a set number and don't
    deviate. If your number is unrealistic you'll figure this out after visiting the third dealership and they turn you down.

When I buy a car a majority of my time before even setting foot on a lot is research. I know what options I want and what I am willing to pay. I am courteous but firm with my price. There is no reason to play games. Give the dealer the price and stick to it. Don't let them
    counteroffer. Be courteous, thank them for their time and leave if they present you with another number.

16. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Manager from the dealer juat called me and wanted to talk to me!! He said he would call me back in a bit after i told him they offered me 26000

17. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Is my 27500 with step rails unrealistic??

18. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If that is the amount you want to pay with the specific option package you want and you have researched the costs and manufacturer to dealer incentives that are offered in your region then it may be realistic.

19. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    After you select your options, before you click the green button "Compare dealer prices," there is a "print this page button. Then compare, select, enter contact info and send. Then you'll have a print out of the options and everything when you walk in to the dealer that contacts you.

20. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Don't be mad about this situation, it is very common and you need to keep it together in these situations. These types of negotiations are just going to keep popping up in life....buying a house, job offers, etc etc. Keep your cool.

Next time I would call their bluff and have them write up the 26k and tell them you have to contact your bank in the morning. They can wait a day, if not they are playing you and you should let them know you are on to them.

My wife and I negotiated over the phone while playing "eager to buy wife/tight wad husband"

It seemed to work pretty good.

Products Discussed in

To Top