1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension TSB Alignment?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hotdog, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Jun 27, 2008 at 9:41 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Good new man, but the dunflops are terrible tires and they will wear out pretty quick. I had them on my 05 D-Cab and I had to replace them at about 25k.

2. Jun 27, 2008 at 11:35 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I agree, but I'd rather not have the expense of tires until I need them.

3. Jun 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I totally agree man, I was just giving you a heads up on the dunflops. :thumbsup:

4. Jul 1, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    alright, I just dropped it off. It made me a little nervous because I dropped it off and they asked what I wanted done.

I believe a tire rotation is necessary, is this correct?

They gave me my pick between the rentals they had- 08 Camry or 09 Corolla. I took the Camry.

5. Jul 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    So if they are putting two new tires on your truck you will want them to go up front you want them to put the best two old tires on the rear. They should redo the alignment with the new tires up front and give you a copy of the alignment report. Look at the alignment sheet make sure to study it check that the model of truck matches yours if there is a date on it is the correct date also if they have a repair order number on it it matches your repair order. Then look at the numbers for camber,caster,toe it will show a before reading and a after reading look for changes showing that they adjusted something and also these numbers will (should be)colored red means out of spec green means in spec. And if you see something that you don't understand by all means ask them if the writer does not have the answer have them bring out the guy who did the alignment to explain it to you.:)

6. Jul 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    BeefTaco

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    So if they are putting two new tires on your truck you will want them to go up front you want them to put the best two old tires on the rear. They should redo the alignment with the new tires up front and give you a copy of the alignment report. Look at the alignment sheet make sure to study it check that the model of truck matches yours if there is a date on it is the correct date also if they have a repair order number on it it matches your repair order. Then look at the numbers for camber,caster,toe it will show a before reading and a after reading look for changes showing that they adjusted something and also these numbers will (should be)colored red means out of spec green means in spec you don't want any red in the after numbers. And if you see something that you don't understand by all means ask them if the writer does not have the answer have them bring out the guy who did the alignment to explain it to you.:)

7. Jul 2, 2008 at 6:26 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    OK thanks. Do you put new tires up front because they wear faster? I'm assuming this is because of the turning.

8. Jul 2, 2008 at 6:29 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    you put new tires in the front because its safer...less likely to blow out. Better traction etc.

9. Jul 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Although the dealer may do it incorrectly, they'll put on the sheet that they did it, and I'll have something to fall back on.

10. Jul 2, 2008 at 12:17 PM
    BeefTaco

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Also you want the alignment to be set to specs with new tires not old tires.

11. Jul 2, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    As I expected from them, the new tires are on the front. Oh well, at least I have my truck back.

They gave me a 4 cyl Camry and that thing was pretty nice. I treated it like it was a rental and I still got 30 mpg.

The real kicker here is my change in the Tacoma's handling. My truck used to really dig in around corners. Now the truck is so smooth coming around the corners. Also, the fuel efficiency is much better. I'm getting somewhere between 2-4 MPG better now. :eek: I'm much happier with Truck now and I'm interested in my 60 highway miles tomorrow.

12. Jul 3, 2008 at 5:17 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Glad to hear they finally made you happy. Alignment will kill your avg mpg...believe me I know. One of the first things I buy for my trucks has been the lifetime alignment from a place like Expert Tire. For 129 bucks it includes life time alignment and tire rotation...it pays for itself after I use it twice. I always take my truck to get it done before a cross country trip, off-roading etc. No more of that ...coming out of the trail get on the road feeling of ohhhhhhhhhh schiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzit my steering is off..now I can just make an appointment and bring the truck in to get fixed for free.

Products Discussed in

To Top