Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To

Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
MYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant future
MYSUV's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To

There is some information on clocksprings that I've found searching the site, but the only replacement "how to" was a link connecting you to a replacement on an older Tacoma. Here's the process I followed on my 2005 (without cruise control).

I replaced it because my airbag light was on. After having it diagnosed by a local garage (half the cost of dealer diagnostic), I ordered the clockspring on-line because it's only a dealer part (used www.toyotapartscheap.com). By ordering on-line and doing the install myself, I saved $250.

**Disclaimer: This isn't a difficult job, but it involves removing the airbag, therefore, there is some potential danger to body and wallet! I AM NOT A TRAINED MECHANIC, SO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Tools needed:
1.10 mm wrench or socket
2.T-30 Torx
3.Small flatblade screwdriver
4.Philips screwdriver
5.19mm Socket with 3 inch extension
6.Steering wheel puller

Here we go:
1. Disconnect both battery terminals with 10mm wrench or socket and locate the leads where they cannot possibly come in contact with the battery or ground. This is to be sure there is no power to the truck. Now go mow the lawn or whatever to give the juice time to "drain" from the truck.

2. With a small flat blade, remove the cover on either side of the steering wheel to expose the T-30 Torx screw that holds the airbag in place.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-torx-t-30.jpg

3. Disconnect the black wire with the white connector and the black and orange leads going into the airbag. Get a thin flathead under the yellow tabs on the connectors and pry up on the tab, and then just pull the connector straight out.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-airbag-connectors.jpg

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-disconnect-connectors.jpg

4. Set airbag aside where it won't be disturbed.

5. Remove steering wheel nut with 19mm socket with 3inch extension. Once it's removed, mark the steering wheel and spindle with a Sharpie to be sure you'll reallign it correctly when reinstalling. I marked at 12 and 3 o'clock on mine.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-sharpie.jpg

6. Install your wheel puller. Be sure your bolts are the correct size so you do not strip the threads in the wheel. Remove steering wheel.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-wheel-puller.jpg

7. Once wheel is removed remove the 2 philips head screws on either side and remove the plastic trim pieces. I had to mess with them a bit, but they will come out. Just be sure not to muscle too much so you don't break any of the tabs that hold them together.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-wheel-removed.jpg

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-trim-removed.jpg

8. Remove 2 connectors on the bottom of the clockspring. One is black and one is yellow.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-connectors-black-yellow.jpg

9. Remove clockspring by disconnecting 3 plastic tabs. One on the top, and 1 on either side. Here's the top view. Note dog hair gets into your entire truck. Set clockspring aside for later dissection!

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-top-connector.jpg

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-clock-removed.jpg

10. Install new clockspring. It's already centered via the orange tab that keeps it from spinning. You'll snap this off later. In the picture you'll see I have black electrical tape keeping mine centered because I broke off the tab when messing with it when I took it out of the box. Reinstall your plastic trim once CS is inplace.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-new-cs.jpg

11. Pull your orange tab off freeing up the clockspring to spin, but keep it centered. Reinstall your steering wheel with wires feeding through the top. Line up wheel to the marks you made on the spindle. Tighten 19 mm nut.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-wheel-install.jpg

12. Connect orange and black to the airbag, and don't forget the other black wire. Once they are connected, put airbag back in place and tighten your Torx on either side of the steering wheel. Replace the covers for the Torx.

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-wires-reconnected.jpg

2nd Gen Clockspring Replacement How To-wheel-back-normal.jpg

13. Reconnect your battery and start truck to be sure your airbag light is now off. Test horn.

Took me 1 hour 15 mins including time to take these pictures and write down notes.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up
Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
jsrocket469 will become famous soon enoughjsrocket469 will become famous soon enough
Air Force: AMMO
Name: James
jsrocket469's Tacoma Gallery
Air-Bag Light.

Great Post – I just bought mine and noticed that the light was on as me and the seller were driving it down the road… He said it was supposed to be on – that way you know it is good 2 go, and pointed to center passenger light, “like this one”…. Yeah (NOT) – Owners manual says take to dealership immediately… he has some friends at the local dealer so we are going to meet there soon and figure it out. I still owe him $500 – so he should cover it???
However - I know that a lot of people disconnect the airbags on lifted trucks – that way they don’t bust your face when you’re twisting the frame off-road…??
Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write-up. I will file this away with others I have found in a "maintenance" folder for when the time comes I need them. I need to develop the patience to take photos like this when I do a project. Great job with that here...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
mine went bad this past week...n i was over warranty...but dealership covered it for me n did it all for free
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
My light is on but there are two wires in the clockspring. A main and a backup. Seems like a lot of people have this problem. Anyway, the airbags still work which they should tell you because airbags are dangerous when you're not prepared for them.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting ready to do this how-to as my airbag light is on. Does anyone know what the part # for the clockspring is?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
So I went to Kragen (now I guess O'Rielly) and they don't stock 'em.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trib View Post
So I went to Kragen (now I guess O'Rielly) and they don't stock 'em.
lol thats cuz u can only get them at dealer or junkyard if theyre still good after an accident
Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #11

trib's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I figured. Probably a low-volume part.

Are any good junkyards within an hour drive of Orange County? Supposedly this part is upwards of $250.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trib View Post
Yeah I figured. Probably a low-volume part.

Are any good junkyards within an hour drive of Orange County? Supposedly this part is upwards of $250.
Ya around there...cuz dealer wanted to charge me around $850 installed but they covered it n my warranty had just ended (I was at 61,000ish)
Old 09-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
I did this on my wife's 2001 Durango a few years ago. That to, was a dealer part. I saved a bundle changing it myself and it was no harder than yours other than having to buy a torx driver to fit 3 inches up the trim on the steering column. This post should be added to the how to section sticky. Great write up. +1 rep for you for the pics and detail.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #14

trib's Tacoma Gallery
Quick follow-up to my last post:

So I fixed my clockspring/airbag light for $50 by taking it out via this how-to and sent it in for repair to a guy on ebay named krugger_auto. For anyone else who wants to do this just search 'toyota tacoma clockspring repair'. Wayyyy better than spending $250 for a new one or paying $850 to the stealer.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
sardog2111 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: BM1
sardog2111's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write up

saved over 400 dollars between this write up and the services of myairbags.com, do this yourself and save a fortune, why pay the stealership the money to do this, send your part it, have it repaired and reinstall yourself and then you have a ton of moeny for mods. Thanks to the OP for this killer write-up, I vote for it to be a sticky.....
Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Pulled my clockspring last night and sure enough I found what appeared to be a tiny defect in one of the wires. Contemplated trying to solder but didnt figure it would hold. So I called the eBay place that repairs them (Krugger Auto) and talked to Roman. He informed me that recently they had acquired access to new aftermarket parts for $75+$10 shipping so I went that route and ordered one. I think $50 and $15 shipping for repair plus cost of sending it to Charlotte NC.

I'll post up once I get new part and report how it went. If this works out ok this is a major money saving DIY that isn't too tough.
And a million thanks to OP for the awesome write-up and pics.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
AstroluxAtom is on a distinguished road
AstroluxAtom's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what was wrong with mine, just a little bit of copper showing. I would just go get a fresh one from the dealer man, I wouldn't trust a "refurb airbag sensor". The $260 price tag sucks, but it beats having them do the install for you.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
It's acTually a brand new one not refurb or reman. It pisses me off to pay 200-300$ for something that every other make can be had for 30-60$. This is a piece of wire basically, not a high tech electronic device. Our Sequoia was ready for its third shitty plastic rear hatch handle (which is a major PITA to replace) when finally Dorman started selling an aftermarket part made of metal for less$ and much higher quality.
I agree it's a crucial link in driver safety but it wouldn't surprise me if this is higher quality as well. I refuse to take an ass raping without looking around a little.
I own 3 Toyotas because of quality and performance and this crap hacks me off. They can only charge ridiculous $ for a 10$ part because nobody else makes it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
I just had this done at the Dealer, and it cost me $370.43.
I really did not want to deal with the airbag!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #20

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
I just had this done at the Dealer, and it cost me $370.43.
I really did not want to deal with the airbag!
Why?