1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How "tough" are the stock bumpers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4X42HEL, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    It is all about impact absorption. Take a look at a race car .... it hits a solid object ... explodes apart .... the driver walks away.

The auto and insurance industries finally got their shit together and realized that the same can be said of passenger vehicles. Let the vehicle take all the impact, which means it has to be destroyed, in order for the people can walk away.

This is why we have insurance ..... to repair the damn things. Accidents happen.

With all the safety features build into today's cars/trucks it is well worth the damage.

My AC has six (6) air bags/curtains ... it is a friggin' coccoon.

I just sold an '06 regular cab for a '10 AC ..... my insurance went up $2.35 a month for a vehicle 4 years newer .... some of you tip that to the latte girl in the mornings.

Bottom line --- if my front bumper breaks up I'll take it's sacrifice for my safety any day.

2. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The front actually has a bumper cover. The actual "bumper" is hidden behind the plastic cover.

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2

4. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    For the record .... I want to make it clear that Colton's "x2" of my post does not mean I endorse his canidate in 2012 ....... [​IMG]

5. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    ive done some nasty things to my bumpers. i actually wheel my little truck really hard. it was foggy as hell one night we all went wheeling and i went up a really nasty section about 25mph (i thought it looked flat) well my front wheels dropped and my front bumper took a direct hit and stopped me in my tracks. the bumper just looks like iut has some rock rash. i took the bumper apart and every pop clip was broken and the corner support was bent to shit. i took it all apart and straightened everything out. Im impressed with how well it held up. however, if it was a high clearance bumper it wouldnt have hit.

the rear bumper put up with quite a bit too. i dropped off a large rock and landed directly on the bumper. both rear wheels were off the ground. i keeped going and there is only a small dent and some gouges under the bumper.

6. Aug 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Um, that's completely false. They hold up to trail damage just fine, which is what their full intent is. Not to take an impact from 2 tons of steel flying at you at 50mph. Believe me, having been there you WANT it to give.

7. Aug 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Ah, we seriously need like a sarasim emoticon or something haha.

8. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Tommo

Tommo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    base 4X4
    My 1990 Toyota 4X4's front bumper was cheap stamped metal, my 2009 Tacoma 's is plastic, Toyota is going in the wrong direction.

Replaced my 1990's stock bumper with a 3 inch double tube bumper and just got an ARB bumper for the 2009. Got the ARB from www.4x4connection.com for $950 delivered. Big bucks but cheaper than having to replace the front end!

Now have to find a rear bumper that is as strong as the ARB front. Been looking at the and need to check the CBI one too.

9. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    ATO rear bumper FTW (check vendor section)

Products Discussed in

To Top