1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My rear winch almost ate my fingers today.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06redtacoma, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    So after one of those days at work i got home and thought i would take out some stress with the chain saw, i had a tree in the yard that needed to go after a recent storm. cut it down and though what a time to use the rear mounted winch to tow it near the woods, it didn't work. so took the solenoid apart and after a little beating on it and jumping it out. got it working, it worked great sorry no action pictures but then i went to put it up and the solenoid stuck on in the in position. almost got my fingers and did get the bumper. some quick thinking and i beat the solenoid with my letherman and it quit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so after a very long day im just glad to have all my digits still.

who do i contact about getting a new solenoid? the company that sold it to me or smittybilt?

2. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    i think that i can get the plastic looking good again with a heat gun. on a side note i dont think its going to come out of there if it didnt then. the winch stalled. and its still in the back of the truck.

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    is that a custom mount for the winch? thats really scary ha

4. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    Quick thinking. It amazes me what humans are able to come up with in dire situations. And I'm jealous about the rear mount, that is EXTREMELY nice. I'm looking for information about it right now, if you have any pics that you can put up in this thread that would be awesome.

5. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    look at my avatar

6. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    BLKTRD6SP

BLKTRD6SP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Crane Lake Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 Black TRD 6 Speed
    2 way remote start,3M rockguard
    I used to work at a place that sold/distributed Warn winches and we always had pretty much any part of any of the winches in stock.
    The place you bought it from should be able to get you one if they don't have one in stock.

7. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    look in my build. it has all the information about my rear winch, it has proved to be very useful. (disclaimer... if you have any reason to doubt your welding ability for any reason, remember that all the pulling power will be right on your welds.)

8. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Glad you're ok.

9. Aug 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    Thanks for the warning on keeping your hand out of harms way! I had never considered the solinoid sticking and the winch keeps running

10. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    yeah i had never heard of it or seen it until it happened. i was shaking when it happened. i thought it was going to crush the entire bumper. it really held up well.

11. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    watch your hands!!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in