Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I buy Taco?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
TreeFarm is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
TreeFarm's Tacoma Gallery
Should I buy Taco?

I've always been a fan. I'm not sure if the Taco is right for me though. I have a 9 month old and a 3 year old. I also drive an hour to work every day.
I am looking at '11 double cab long bed 4x4 with SR5 convience pkg and leveling kit.
I am 6'2 250. Will the Taco feel like I am sandwiched into a burrito when I travel with the family?
How is the seat comfort on long rides, I have a bad back cause I'm fat.
Also looking at trail edition 4Runner.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I think there's plenty of room in the backseat... Many people on here have carseats back there and have no problems. I'm right at 6', 210 and it's perfect for me, plenty of room. On my TRD Sport, the seats are great. They have the lumbar support but the SR5 seats do not have this. Honestly I could do without this feature, but it was included in the package.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
As for the seats.... check one at the dealer because everyone is different. I will say I hate the 09+ headrest redesign, 05-08 was much shallower and a lot more comfortable... otherwise it's basically the same seat. Both of my trucks have/had the TRD though, so the sport seats are a little more 'race car ish' with side support and such. I drove from phoenix to portland or in 3 days on hwy 1... was comfy the entire time. I'm 5'9" and about 260 so.... eh.

As for driving an hour to work... up to you for fuel costs if it's worth it.

Also, don't get a dealer suspension modified truck, they always put the cheapest spacer crap in there that's not worth a dime they'll overcharge the hell out of you for.

In short, it'll probably do great but.... check one out and test it out with your family then mule it over.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I'd recommend the TRD seats. More comfortable than the SR5 seats. I'm not that tall but my Tacoma is pretty comfortable. See if a dealership will rent you one for a weekend and take it for a long drive. I know the dealers in my area will do that.
Good luck on whatever choice you make.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
If you've always been a fan of the Taco, then go for it. I was thinking a 4Runner would be better suited for you and the kids for those family trips. Throw the luggage in the back, etc,.. to keep it dry.

BUT, you can always just get a tonneau cover for dry storage while having the convenience of having a pick up truck when you need it. I always say, a pick-up truck is a must for every household.

FWIW, the lumbar support is awesome on long drives. That's just me, but I'm sure most will agree. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta be honest...if I was 6-2 and 250 I'd probably still be driving the F-150 I traded on the Tacoma.

But I'm 5-8 & 150 so the Tacoma is just my size.

You may feel a bit squeezed in the Tacoma. But I'll have to let the forum bigguns chime in on that.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Riff Raff is on a distinguished road

Name: Riff
Riff Raff's Tacoma Gallery
test drive one with your whole family in it... if it fits good... buy it.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
im 6'5 230 and im comforable in the truck. but there isnt a lot of head room so i hope im never in a roll over. you also might find that the windshield isnt very high so you might have to duck to see the traffic lights. but other than that its great
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I have TRD, and drive minimun 500 weekly and always feel comfy in my truck. sseats are good. Dont think you woujld regret, but if you do feel somewhat cramp. may be incentive to lose weight. win win.