1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I buy Taco?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TreeFarm, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    TreeFarm

TreeFarm [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Eugene
    I've always been a fan. I'm not sure if the Taco is right for me though. I have a 9 month old and a 3 year old. I also drive an hour to work every day.
    I am looking at '11 double cab long bed 4x4 with SR5 convience pkg and leveling kit.
    I am 6'2 250. Will the Taco feel like I am sandwiched into a burrito when I travel with the family?
    How is the seat comfort on long rides, I have a bad back cause I'm fat.
    Also looking at trail edition 4Runner.

2. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I think there's plenty of room in the backseat... Many people on here have carseats back there and have no problems. I'm right at 6', 210 and it's perfect for me, plenty of room. On my TRD Sport, the seats are great. They have the lumbar support but the SR5 seats do not have this. Honestly I could do without this feature, but it was included in the package.

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    As for the seats.... check one at the dealer because everyone is different. I will say I hate the 09+ headrest redesign, 05-08 was much shallower and a lot more comfortable... otherwise it's basically the same seat. Both of my trucks have/had the TRD though, so the sport seats are a little more 'race car ish' with side support and such. I drove from phoenix to portland or in 3 days on hwy 1... was comfy the entire time. I'm 5'9" and about 260 so.... eh.

As for driving an hour to work... up to you for fuel costs if it's worth it.

Also, don't get a dealer suspension modified truck, they always put the cheapest spacer crap in there that's not worth a dime they'll overcharge the hell out of you for.

In short, it'll probably do great but.... check one out and test it out with your family then mule it over.

4. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I'd recommend the TRD seats. More comfortable than the SR5 seats. I'm not that tall but my Tacoma is pretty comfortable. See if a dealership will rent you one for a weekend and take it for a long drive. I know the dealers in my area will do that.
    Good luck on whatever choice you make.

5. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    If you've always been a fan of the Taco, then go for it. I was thinking a 4Runner would be better suited for you and the kids for those family trips. Throw the luggage in the back, etc,.. to keep it dry.

BUT, you can always just get a tonneau cover for dry storage while having the convenience of having a pick up truck when you need it. I always say, a pick-up truck is a must for every household.

FWIW, the lumbar support is awesome on long drives. That's just me, but I'm sure most will agree. Good luck.

6. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I gotta be honest...if I was 6-2 and 250 I'd probably still be driving the F-150 I traded on the Tacoma.

But I'm 5-8 & 150 so the Tacoma is just my size.

You may feel a bit squeezed in the Tacoma. But I'll have to let the forum bigguns chime in on that.

7. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riff
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 TRD SR5 V6 AUTO
    test drive one with your whole family in it... if it fits good... buy it.

8. Aug 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    im 6'5 230 and im comforable in the truck. but there isnt a lot of head room so i hope im never in a roll over. you also might find that the windshield isnt very high so you might have to duck to see the traffic lights. but other than that its great

9. Aug 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    I have TRD, and drive minimun 500 weekly and always feel comfy in my truck. sseats are good. Dont think you woujld regret, but if you do feel somewhat cramp. may be incentive to lose weight. win win.

Products Discussed in

To Top