Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mixed review of the Tacoma

Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #21
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades_Of_Red View Post
Those idiots wouldn't know how to review a vehicle if their lives depended on it. I don't think there was one thing in that article that I agreed with.
Now I don't know if something has slipped in 5 years, but my 05 is the total opposite of their review. Great truck and wouldn't get any other!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #22
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
It's all the media's fault.
Come on guys, it's a decent truck, but it is the arguable the best in class, but only by default. It was not a comparison test.
Having owned 2 Tacos, and 2 Nissans trucks, (one 05 Frontier), I think for me the Fronty is the better choice, not for any of the reasons mentioned though.
I hope Toyota doesn't go with the 5 speed auto on the next gen.....
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
I hope Toyota doesn't go with the 5 speed auto on the next gen.....
Maybe go straight to an eight-speed? Or they could have a 10-speed and do a combined marketing deal with Schwinn.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #24
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Come on, All manufactures have had problems, recalls over the years, The only thing I'm sorry to say that Toyota did with the Tacoma is manufacture it in Fremont CA. They should have kept the manufacturing in Japan and exported over to the U.S.A.

Talk to my coworker about his Nissan Xterra, fried clutch assy at 12,000 miles and Nissan wont do anything for him. This guy has a manual truck for the last 20 years, not like he is new to manual.

There is a whole forum about Nissan problems. Lets not get started with (GM) Government Motors
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
tony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nice

Name: Tony
tony92629's Tacoma Gallery
Best in class by far! Only two choices out there. Nissan and Toyota. I looked at the crew cab Ford 150. It was the same price as the Tacoma. I wanted 4 doors - something that was a little easier on gas and didnt want drive a huge truck. I carry stuff as well. Mostly bikes and occasional dump run, furniture, appliances. Not going to be towing huge loads - a light trailer, small boat, jet ski's and the like. The look of the Tacoma is a lot more sporty than the F150. I really had to shop around to get what I wanted. I purchased a white DC 2010 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with the sports package and upgraded sound system. I really didnt need the 4 wheel drive - it would have been cool - but I would only use it maybe twice a year. The Pre-runner also has a rear locking diff anyways. I am happy with the choice and the truck will run forever. Re-sale is great - Ford F150 - not so much.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #26
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
This review is retarded. They want more horsepower and better mileage? and would 34 hp be all that more noticeable anyways? And what's up with them bashing the way it looks? Tacomas wouldn't control almost half of the mid-size market if people didn't like the way it looks, ESPECIALLY when compared to its competition.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Maybe go straight to an eight-speed? .....
That's what Audi is doing........
I think once there are more than 6 ratios, it may as well be a CVT.....
Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #28
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
A much better "mixed" (it's actually mostly positive) review of the Tacoma:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyota-tacoma/

Short version: The Tacoma is arguably the best truck in its class, but does its class offer enough value for the money to overcome the value proposition of full-size trucks? The author's opinion: not really, at least not in most situations.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #29
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
They should just stick to reviewing higher end or performance cars. I very much enjoy reading their reviews of performance vehicles I will never be able to afford.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #30
RMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Jay
RMTacoguy30's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... I'm a little surprised surprised they bashed it so much. Oh well... I love my Taco. lol
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #31
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTacoguy30 View Post
Wow... I'm a little surprised surprised they bashed it so much. Oh well... I love my Taco. lol

I wouldn't trade this truck for anything.

I think this project just ended up in the hands of the wrong reviewer. While the point about Mid-size trucks being an iffy value proposition at their price point is valid, this review leaves out truck stuff entirely: hauling, towing, offroading.

Also, and it's hard to fault reviewers for this because it's not really their domain, some of the Taco's value for most of us owners comes from the reliability and durability. Simple fact is these trucks don't break nearly as much as the other options in their class. That goes a long way towards ownership value and can't really add any points in a review designed to look at a properly functioning vehicle.

Resale value is another similar item that's quite valuable to owners but really can't factor into a review.

"intangibles" are a large part of the reason the Taco crushes its competition in the segment when it comes to sales. But you can't put them in review text.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #32
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Ha ha that review is entertaining, this guys are totally missing the points of some of the futures they bashing.
1. midsize vs fullsize
a. Fuel economy- everything looks similar on the paper but take full size truck to lets say NYC and mileage drops to 2 MPG or less in traffic. My Taco still gets around 13 MPG in stop and go traffic thanks to tranny shifting to highest gear as soon as possible and much less weight requiring to stop and go.
b. I can drive my Taco on parkways since it is below the limit that captures most full size pickups. Which is very convenient since its pickup for personal use .
c. 6500 lb towing capacity is not a lot, granted, but I am not a contractor either. Would be nice to have bigger towing capacity but it is still more then what i would get with 1gen truck so I am happy.

2. Bigger size. - Well I loved first gen size but I need to fit two car sits o n the back and bags for kids. That would have not been possible in first gen. Even double cab 1gen is on the small size. So little bigger but squat look serves me better. Truck actually feels more stable in the turns.

3. Engine - well I think current engine is one of the bests. Easy access to 6 spark plugs so if you flood the engine you can always remove sparkplugs crank up to spit water out and continue. power steering pump is separate belt driven again another component that can be removed on the trail. Notice dual pan design for oil. thats from Land cruisers, it allows engine to continue receiving oil at high angles.

4.tranny - its LC tranny do i have to say more. again design is made to allow vehicle at high angles with out worrying about starving tranny.

5. Outside look. Squat look is there on purpose. Lower center of gravity for off camber situations with out taking away clearance.

6 Nissan vs Toyota. Toyota cross bread with FJ, LC, 4 runner and Tacoma gives access to many aftermarket parts and makes it that much easier to modify and improve. Also easier for aftermarket manufactures so just compare whats available for Nissans and Toyotas. Secondly FSM for Toyota is top notch, with patience and little reading average Joe can rebuild vehicle from bottom up. Nissan FSM requires tons of guest work.
I could write more and more but there is no doubt its a good truck no matter what somebody says.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #33
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
All I know is i wouldn't buy anything else but a toyota truck i have proof in my driveway of the quality Toyota once built there name on. 1980 Toyota pickup 2wd 5spd SOLID TRUCK FROM BOTTOM UP! my fender on my 80 is made with thicker metal then my back bumper on my 09 tacoma and that is not a joke but my tacoma did handle some crazy trails.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #34
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
All I know is i wouldn't buy anything else but a toyota truck i have proof in my driveway of the quality Toyota once built there name on. 1980 Toyota pickup 2wd 5spd SOLID TRUCK FROM BOTTOM UP! my fender on my 80 is made with thicker metal then my back bumper on my 09 tacoma and that is not a joke but my tacoma did handle some crazy trails.
yeah but back then emission standards were different.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #35
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
This review is retarded. They want more horsepower and better mileage? and would 34 hp be all that more noticeable anyways? And what's up with them bashing the way it looks? Tacomas wouldn't control almost half of the mid-size market if people didn't like the way it looks, ESPECIALLY when compared to its competition.
I was surprised the reviewer bashed the looks too. Oh well, It's just his opinion. I really like the looks of my truck.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #36
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Short version: The Tacoma is arguably the best truck in its class, but does its class offer enough value for the money to overcome the value proposition of full-size trucks? The author's opinion: not really, at least not in most situations.
That's the issue I struggle with constantly with this truck. I love it, I really do. But when I see that my buddy picked up a 2009 F-150 Lariat 4x4 crew cab with navigation, heated seats, leather, etc. for only $3k more, and gets 18 mpg compared to my 19.5, I have to question the value of the mid-size class in general. It's slowly becoming less and less relevant and useful, to me.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #37

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
I was surprised the reviewer bashed the looks too. Oh well, It's just his opinion. I really like the looks of my truck.
Hey I liked that part when he mentions that Double cab + Long beds have better looks
Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #38
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey I liked that part when he mentions that Double cab + Long beds have better looks
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
That's the issue I struggle with constantly with this truck. I love it, I really do. But when I see that my buddy picked up a 2009 F-150 Lariat 4x4 crew cab with navigation, heated seats, leather, etc. for only $3k more, and gets 18 mpg compared to my 19.5, I have to question the value of the mid-size class in general. It's slowly becoming less and less relevant and useful, to me.
If the primary purpose of this truck for me was anything other than offroading (towing, hauling, on-road general truck use, DD, etc.) I'd have gone with a full-size. I think people who plan to wheel the vehicle are the ONLY folks that mid-size trucks make sense for.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #40
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post

Well they got that part right , at least .