Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mixed review of the Tacoma

Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Mixed review of the Tacoma

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/04/2...%28Autoblog%29
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Snobs! They wouldn't know a good truck if it ran them over.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin45 View Post
Snobs! They wouldn't know a good truck if it ran them over.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, they should compare the Tacoma to other in its class and then see how much they like it. They did make a good point about the powertrain not being updated to the current generation 4Runner.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
TacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet -11B
Name: Randy
TacoRan's Tacoma Gallery
Atleast they have some great photos.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Shades_Of_Red will become famous soon enough

Shades_Of_Red's Tacoma Gallery
Those idiots wouldn't know how to review a vehicle if their lives depended on it. I don't think there was one thing in that article that I agreed with.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I like the truck they reviewed, but then I fell in love with the Speedway Blue color the first time I saw one in person.

While they seem overly critical (like they have a personal problem with Tacomas--maybe a rabid Frontier fan?), their conclusion is not something I disagree with:

Quote:
the Tacoma needs an improved powertrain, better fuel economy and more refinement to provide truck buyers with a palatable alternative to today's half-ton pickups.
If Toyota doesn't address at least those first two issues (I disagree with the third) I think they will see their competition, including full-size trucks, take away a lot of potential and current Tacoma owners. Look at the rumored Ecoboost F150...
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
HeliFreek is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
HeliFreek's Tacoma Gallery
They did refer to it as a Taco a few times. They also called it a TR5, is this a new model?

Thats, OK though, I rarely use a site like that to judge how good vehicles I plan to buy are. I either talk to owners or go to a forum like this one.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
The reviewer probably drives a '98 Hyundai
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
They also forgot to mention the amazing resale value of these trucks. My 2.5 year old truck is only worth a few thousand dollars less than I paid for it according to KBB.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
They also forgot to mention the amazing resale value of these trucks. My 2.5 year old truck is only worth a few thousand dollars less than I paid for it according to KBB.
x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
HeliFreek is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
HeliFreek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The reviewer probably drives a '98 Hyundai
LOL, good one. I need to stop taking a drink when I read.
Now I need a new keyboard. Keys will start sticking soooooooooooon.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
TacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet -11B
Name: Randy
TacoRan's Tacoma Gallery
I like Autoblog but this review is typical. Way too brief and not much info.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
umm.... the Tacoma has the best fuel economy in its class. WTF are these retards talking about?? Sounds like the reviewer has a personal vendetta against Toyota.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Notice how all the comments from the readers are bad, i think they filter the comments and only post the negative ones
Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #17
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
They didn't mention actually using it as a truck. They reviewed it as if it were a car. My advice to them would be to drive the Frontier then come back and drive the Tacoma again.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
briboki is just really nicebriboki is just really nicebriboki is just really nicebriboki is just really nice
briboki's Tacoma Gallery
It's the best mid sized truck (or at least better than the Colorado, Ranger, Dakota..). A lot of the things they pointed out (engine size, bed size, towing capacity, back seat room) are all compromises.... because it's a mid sized truck.

I will never tow more than 6500 pounds. I don't need a huge v8. I needed a truck with a smallish bed to haul *some* stuff. I needed something that is easy to park and fits in my garage. When I was shopping for trucks, not one half ton truck with a backseat would fit in my garage. I live in Suburbia not on a farm. I don't haul horses or large amounts of hay. Every now and then I haul 500 pounds of rock, mulch, etc. I wanted something with a small bed so I don't junk up the interior of an SUV. The Tacoma fits the bill as a mid sized truck.

A lot of people don't want or need a full size truck. The writer seemed to think people only choose mid sized trucks because they couldn't get a full size.

The article is right on with the pricing though. The Tacoma is over priced. But if Toyota can charge that much and still sell a bunch of Tacomas.... why not? Tacomas hold their value really well. I justified the higher price in my head since Tacomas are *known* for running forever. When I was shopping 8 months ago I really wanted a 2004 double cab TRD 4x4. I couldn't find one with under 100k miles for less than $20k within 300 miles of me. 2nd Gen's with under 50k miles were around $26/$27k.

I do agree with the article that the powertrain/engine is due for an update. Not that I really have any complaints about my 4.0 / 5spd auto combo. Seems like Toyota could have put the 4.0 from the 4runner in though.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that the truck is overpriced, but it keeps selling, so that's capitalism in action.

I wouldn't mind the newer V6 power...

And, I do tend to think that a 60" rear is a tad small. Yeah, I have it, but I'd like it just a touch longer. The LB is a good length, but I think it's almost too long then in the wheelbase. I can't come up with a good compromise though!

I really (really) think that the scoop and short box is a bit funky. It looks good on some trucks (reds, blues and black), but I hated the way it looked on my silver (stubby all around). I'm glad I swapped hoods with another forum member.

A bit negative of a review, but I did agree with a few points.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
What BS... They make a few valid points but for the most part this dude doesn't know shit. When I bought my first Taco in 08 I test drove every single thing on the market and nothing came even close to this truck. After owning it for 2 years I just bought a 2010 Sport about a week after my buddy bought a loaded Ranger. When I pull them next to eachother his truck looks like a baby. From the interior to the sheet metal IMO there is not a truck in its class that remotely compares.

Im thinking this review was writen by a GM employee...

Say NO to Taco hatin!!!!