1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed pocket rings mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Karo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Karo

Karo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karo
    La Crescenta, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Grill
    After I executed the wonderful extra D-ring mod, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/28533-installed-d-rings-bed-pics.html, I realized I need some more rings on the truck.

I purchased these zinc hitch rings with attached base from OSH (or any hardware store) for about $2 each.

I removed the pockets and used a 1/4" drill bit to make the required holes after marking the template onto the pockets. I connected them with 1/4" thick, 1-3/4" long nuts and attached it with 4 1 1/4"" dia. washers (1/4" center) with 1/4" nuts on the back (nut, pocket, washer, bolt -- in this order).

The end result made the pockets a bit wobbly so I screwed all 4 sides with 1/2" black drywall screws into the aluminum backing.

I then super glued a 1"x1" magnet behind the bottom of the ring to eliminate the annoying banging sound caused by the rings from bumps and sharp turns.

*Note*
    The rings can be painted black to match the pocket, but since they will be in contact with metal tie downs or rope, I decided not to since the paint will simply rub off and make it look uglier.

More pictures and procedural steps can be added upon requests. Or just PM me.

IMG00060.jpg
    IMG00061.jpg
    IMG00058.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top