1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone else getting the recall work done?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jr114, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Aug 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    Shadowbear01

Shadowbear01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    "North County" San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB Sport, 4.0L
    AFE throttle-body spacer, Doug Thorley shorty headers, TRD catback, adjustable Bilstein's set at highest level , Add-a-leaf and Bilstein 5100's, All-Pro rack
    I went in to have the harsh ride checked out on my 08. I pulled my floor mats prior to going (thanks for the tip). They were going to cut my pedal, but I had the option to decline. I checked out a cut pedal, it thought it should have been in a UTV. They were going to do the ECU flash as well.
    After 6.5 hours in the shop, they only checked the TSB for the ride quality, which I didn't qualify for. That ticked me off and they gave me a free oil change. Whoop-D-effing-Deal!
    The writer said she had too many vehicle for the tech, yet there were 5 techs standing around. I guess they though they worked for the city

2. Aug 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    If you're under 36k miles and have the 3 leaf pack, your truck qualifies. Print out the TSB and bring it with the truck, and if you must to convince them some stuff in the bed to see how low it rides and have it bottom out on the bump stops.

3. Aug 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Scheduled for Tuesday ..... loaner vehicle will be waiting.

4. Aug 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    Shadowbear01

Shadowbear01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    "North County" San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB Sport, 4.0L
    AFE throttle-body spacer, Doug Thorley shorty headers, TRD catback, adjustable Bilstein's set at highest level , Add-a-leaf and Bilstein 5100's, All-Pro rack
    The info came out to late for me. I turned over 43k yesterday. Couple trips to Tahoe & Flagstaff too many.

5. Aug 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    Ezriderga

Ezriderga Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma xtracab BB
    Nope. Not letting them touch mine.

6. Aug 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    hoopscoach

hoopscoach Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab TRD

Exactly... I had mine done. Just replaced the pedal. No problems. The last thing you want is to ignore the recall than have it used against you in court if you get into an accident.

7. Aug 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Okay, here I go .... you received a safety recall from the manufacturer of the vehicle you bought. You went to the dealership, chose this vehicle and am very happy and proud to have it.

Now, the maker of this vehicle has discovered that there are defects in their vehicle that may/have caused deaths.

Now ... if you deny to have this done and your vehicle "goes out of control" your insurance company MAY deny your claim.

Give it some thought .... look into it .... discuss it with your insurance company.

I am just saying .....

8. Aug 17, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Given the option...I would take the chance.

Problem is...I was not given the option, as my truck already had the pedal cut when I bought it.

the key work here is OPTION.

This is still America and we should have the freedom to choose.

Not have accelerator pedals cut down based on media hype...lawyers...and political correctness.

Some day...if I still have this truck...I WILL replace the pedal with an original OEM uncircumcised one.

I will buy one today. Or swap with someone who is hell-bent on having their non cut pedal cut.

9. Aug 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Lets see that "replaced" pedal please. TIA

10. Aug 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    hoopscoach

hoopscoach Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab TRD
    Repaired... Thanks for your help.

11. Aug 17, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    The reflash doesn't bother me to much, even then I don't like it's auto override of throttle cutoff. I still prefer the old fly by wire but that's just how it is now. The butchering of the pedal for no reason... I refuse to let them do that. Also for it to affect you in a wreck, they'd have to prove the pedal got stuck under the floor mat to cause unintended acceleration... which isn't going to happen. I'll take my chances, there's so much bullshit going on in this country now what's another one.

12. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    No problem. I hope you didn't think I was trying to challenge your post.

I understand there is a replacement pedal that is/may be available for those of us who have the cut pedal and are not pleased with it. I was thinking maybe you have the new pedal.

13. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Correct.

There is ZERO possibility that the pedal could get caught under the Weathertech liners I now have in my Tacoma.

I want a non cut pedal in my truck. If Toyota won't replace the cut petal in my truck...

I WILL find an OEM from a wrecked Tacoma and have it installed.

Sooner or later. Bank on it. [​IMG]

14. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'll be holding my breath Larry . Post pics when you're done .

15. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Y'all are cracking me up. I don't quite understand the resistance to having this done. Is it going to effect the performance of you Tacoma?

I will be the first one in line to say that I have certain freedoms and rights .... hell, I fought to defend those rights. I feel that it is just a case of common sense.

I'll defend your right to choose but y'all need to choose your battles.

Best of luck to all of you .... I hope only the very best and that no harm comes to you or your families.

16. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    The pedal still has no bearing on this... hell on long hwy drives sometimes I'll shift my foot around to use only the bottom of the pedal anyway... it actually would affect the way I use it. (in areas where it's to hilly for cruise). I paid 30k for the truck, the point is it should be my call on what I do or don't do to it.

At the same time, it's like Toyota saying you can't modify the truck to put an AllPro bumper on it. They can't stop you, they say it so Toyota themselves can not be held accountable for it. I fully understand that call, and can even respect it in this sue happy country. What annoys me is they'll just do it as a "favor" for you without asking. That's really bad customer service IMHO.

17. Aug 18, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    Mariner

Mariner Member

Member:

The 2" pedal certainly affects my driving. It's uncomfortable to drive on the interstate and as I said impossible to step on the gas and get going, no pickup at all. No quick getup and go when you need to . This is and could be a very dangerous problem. In order to drive above 50-55 you have to bend your foot as far as it will go and hold it. Imagine trying to drive before the modification with using only your toes at the top of the pedal.

Still no word on my complaint to Toyota HQ, but as far as I am concerned I had no problems with the truck prior to taking it to the dealer but I do now.

18. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Mariner

Mariner Member

Member:
    Spoke on the phone with Toyota HQ just a few minutes ago. They seem to think that the pedal may have been shaved too much but they could not tell me what size the pedal should be. Waiting for the dealer to call me.

If you look on the back of the recall letter there is a statement that if you are unhappy with the modification there is a replacement pedal available. however it is of the same size as the modified pedal.

My pedal is now 5" above the floor. I can't bend my foot far enough down to get above 55 the way the thing is now configured. Too uncomfortable and my toes slip off of the pedal.

[​IMG]

19. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i just got my truck back..my wife took it in. and picked it up. i drove around for awhile before i even remembered it being done. i parked and took a look. very minimum change.

no difference to me and how i use my gas pedal. road trip tonight, so i will get a real test.

20. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You really need to get out of your bubble.

1. Dealer will reflush the code that currently works fine on the truck with a code that was developed in 1/8 of the time, and.... had items put in that original engeeners deemed (not worth/too complicated/wrong/or some other unknown reason) to put in. Do you get extra warranty because ECM is re flushed? nope. So who is goign to pay to troubleshoot your super-computerized truck if the flush was done incorrectly. Its you the owner of 2005-2007 trucks with out factory warranty.

2. I bought my Tacoma floor mats because they were sturdy, heavy with deep groves for melting snow/ salt sand. I can not stress out how happy I am that I have them. After 4 winters my carpets are still clean.
    3. Pedal, My wife drives my truck in winter and she does not wear size 15 men to press pedal. One of the pluses of that truck is that she has better control of the gas pedal compare to my LC where you need to wear a brick under your shoe to step on it.

4. I am part of population that does not need to have sign on coffee cup that says (Hot liquid) :D

Products Discussed in

To Top