Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Tacoma Column Auto Shifter

Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Tacoma Column Auto Shifter

I was wondering it it is possible to take an identical 1st gen tundra Steering wheel assy with Auto Trans column steering shifter and transplant it on a Gen2 Tacoma?? I have NEVER seen this done but is it possible? I personally prefer the Automatic Shifter on the steering column.Here's the identical Gen 1 tundra steering assy;
Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
My concern is the series of cables and linkages you would have to route to the transmission tunnel.

How is overdrive disabled on the Tundra? Do you press a button or move the column shifter to a different notch while driving?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Assuming you can find the entire steering wheel and column "donor" assembly (including airbag and all the lights/wipers/stereo/cruise control switches) for a reasonable price, my concern is the series of cables and linkages you would have to route to the transmission tunnel.

How is overdrive disabled on the Tundra? Do you press a button or move the column shifter to a different notch while driving?
I think you move the column shifter, ill have to check my friends gen 1 tundra to be sure
Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I highly doubt it would be worth even trying. Plus you could kiss your resale good bye. You'd have to find routing for the cables, make sure they don't bind, plug up the original gated shifter hole, probably relocate the override.... sounds like more work than moving your hand down to the gated shifter over a 20 year period
Old 08-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #5

Very true, Dimensionally i don't think toyota changed much from the gen1 Tundra to the Gen2 Tacoma, almost an exact copy. Probably not worth the effort/expense to do.