Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom roof rack

Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Herculean will become famous soon enoughHerculean will become famous soon enough
Name: Brandon
Herculean's Tacoma Gallery
Custom roof rack

I posted this over on TN but haven't gotten much feedback. Thought I'd put it up here as well.

I've been "working" on this rack for quite a while, meaning it sat in the garage half finished, but I finally got around to wiring and painting it. I think it turned out pretty good... though if I did it again, I'd shorten the dip in the front for looks.

Here is the initial concept:

And a couple more angles...

I put the tabs on the front for a plexiglass air dam. I'm hoping I can use a heat gun and wrap it around the sides a little but I'm not there yet. Let me know what you think.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold

Name: derek
derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
i like it!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job looks sweet! Are you going to sell these?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Go Pack Go!
hawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Bryce
hawkeye12's Tacoma Gallery
That is a sickkk rack!! I would definitely buy one!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Herculean will become famous soon enoughHerculean will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the compliments. No, I doubt I'd ever sell them (perhaps this one some day). I doubt there'd be any money in it to warrant all the work. I figure I've got about $250-$275 in materials (including $160 for lights) and a conservative estimate of 40 hours of labor. Doubt anyone would want to pay $500 for a rack made out of conduit.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
If you make one for an extra cab, I would love to be your guinea pig.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) USS La Jolla (SSN 701) Veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I like it 90% lol

If I made it, I would have made the front bar closer to the cage so that it didn't sit directly above the windshiled.

Other than that, job well done.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
It looks very very nice. It will be a pain to wash the roof of the truck, but that close to the roof makes it look very nice. Nice work.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Crownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of light
Crownedcustoms's Tacoma Gallery
Real nice job!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It looks amazing!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool! Did you use the factory rack mounting points under the rubber strip for your feet?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
JRW1223 is just really niceJRW1223 is just really niceJRW1223 is just really niceJRW1223 is just really niceJRW1223 is just really nice
Navy:
Name: Jordan
JRW1223's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really good. Great job. I like how it is so close to the roof. Is it loud when driving on the highway?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I like it 90% lol
If I made it, I would have made the front bar closer to the cage so that it didn't sit directly above the windshiled.
Other than that, job well done.
I agree. This was mostly done by eye and it was my first time using a manual conduit bender so I had less than perfect knowledge of where the bends were going to end up. If I do it again, I'd keep the same slope at the front to match the windshield but decrease the droop in the front. The 4" lights would still fit and the air dam would be smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuxdiesel View Post
Very cool! Did you use the factory rack mounting points under the rubber strip for your feet?
Yes, I used the factory mounting points. I made 3 different sized brackets (to match the factory threaded holes) that are U shaped in profile. On the rack facing side they have a nut welded underneath so you can just drop a bolt through the rack and tighten it up. I like the design in principle because when the rack isn't mounted, you barely notice them. However, I just used an cutoff wheel & grinder to cut them out of I think 14 gauge steel and then a vice and pliers to make the shape. Thus they don't all look identical/professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW1223 View Post
I like how it is so close to the roof. Is it loud when driving on the highway?
I would probably shorten it up another 1/2 inch or so if I did it again though the lights are already only 3/8" off the cab so it might need to flare up in the front a tad. I had it up to 80 this morning and it didn't howl at all. There is a minor "rushing" noise that you can hear in the cab above 60mph if you listen but a modest radio volume drowns it out. I expect that to go away when I get the air dam on. I was surprised though, I had it on before I painted it with only 2 lights installed and it howled like crazy above 40mph. I'm wondering if the spray on bedliner I used (textured) provides enough turbulence to break it up...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
roof rack

That looks great! What program did you use for the 3D model? If its Autodesk Inventor I would be willing to do some shop drawings and post them for anyone to fab. (since you have no plans to sell them!)
Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDogg311 View Post
nice work! one of the better lookin racks ive seen. ... can you make one for an access cab now??? =)
Solid model was done in SolidEdge. I think I still have all the measurements for the roof mount points as well so I could incorporate them into a drawing.

Seriously though, I looked around a fair amount before I decided to fab one and nothing existed like I wanted. I believe that still to be the case at least with this type of mounting setup. What would people be willing to pay for something like this? The hard part was getting all the measurements right using a tapemeasure and standing on my sliders . Now that I've got the critical dimensions figured out, the fab would go much quicker. Especially if I got a tubing notcher.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #18
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, thats awesome looking, nice work man!

I like the low profile look!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
roof rack

Nice looking roof rack! Is there much wind noise??

The rack on my previous FJ created much wind noise that was not tolerable.

It looks great and very functionable.

Taco4x4nc
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #20
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. i give you an A+