Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 Wheel Drive Not Working

Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
plane white trash is on a distinguished road
Name: James
plane white trash's Tacoma Gallery
4 Wheel Drive Not Working

I searched for this problem. If I missed a resolution somewhere, I apologize in advance. Here's the deal:

Every once in a while, my 06 Tacoma (V6 / Auto Trans) will not go into 4wd. It has the switch, not a shifter. If I turn the truck off, switch the key all the way on (without cranking the truck), then switch it into 4wd and start it, it engages the 4wd every time.

I am not familiar enough with what happens when I flip the switch to diagnose the problem although I do hear a clicking under the glove box when the 4wd light flashes.

I was thinking maybe that "part" that is clicking (sounds like a blinker relay) may be going bad, but I do not know what that "part" is.

And then SOMETIMES, it switches into 4wd, on the fly, just fine - as it has since I got it.

Any suggestions on what to replace first are welcomed.

Thanks.

-JM
Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Heard the switch dies if not used often. Dirt on the contacts.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Thank. I use it 2-3 times / month. I don't THINK that's what it is. Plus, if you turn the truck off, turn the ignition to ON, then switch to 4wd and start the truck, it works. Very weird.

I will clean the contacts on the switch.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
But that would indicate a voltage drop when running. no ? Poor contact ?
Make sure everything is nice and tight. Check also the connections on the 4 wheel drive ECU behind the glove box too. You could also climb under and check the limit switch and shift assist on the transfer case.

I have no clue what is wrong but at least it's a place to start.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Thanks again, Trap. I am going to check the switch itself as you suggested. Like you said, its a good place to start.

In the mean time, if anyone has had this problem, your input would be greatly appreciated.

-JM
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Check the wires that go to the solenoid on the front diff there is a plug there to check as well. The wires are run through metal hangers that if loose will wear through. The info Trap gave you is a good place to start.
This will help as well http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Heard the solenoids are junk on the transfer cases. Might have to replace it.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane white trash View Post
I searched for this problem. If I missed a resolution somewhere, I apologize in advance. Here's the deal:

Every once in a while, my 06 Tacoma (V6 / Auto Trans) will not go into 4wd. It has the switch, not a shifter. If I turn the truck off, switch the key all the way on (without cranking the truck), then switch it into 4wd and start it, it engages the 4wd every time.

I am not familiar enough with what happens when I flip the switch to diagnose the problem although I do hear a clicking under the glove box when the 4wd light flashes.

I was thinking maybe that "part" that is clicking (sounds like a blinker relay) may be going bad, but I do not know what that "part" is.

And then SOMETIMES, it switches into 4wd, on the fly, just fine - as it has since I got it.

Any suggestions on what to replace first are welcomed.

Thanks.

-JM
First question would be whats the mileage on the truck and when did you replace oil in transfer case and front diff ??
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Thanks, North.

The links are great. According to the wiring diagram:

When the 4WD control switch is turned from H2 into H4, this signal is input into 4WD control ECU TERMINAL 2–4). Then, the 4WD control ECU moves the 2–4 select motor (TERMINAL 2, TERMINAL 1) in the transfer shift actuator assembly until the shift fork shaft shifts to the diff. free position, performing a shift into H4 position

If the ECU is indeed behind the glove, then this makes me think Trap was right from the get-go and that the actual switch is bad. I don't think my signal is making it to the ECU...

I will pop that switch out and inspect / clean it.

Anyone ever pulled a switch? Pitfalls? Tips?

Thanks.

-JM
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
First question would be whats the mileage on the truck and when did you replace oil in transfer case and front diff ??
100K miles on the truck. Transfer case and diff oil was replaced at 30K and 60K.

BUT, even if the tranfer case and front diff were full of swamp water, they both work just fine (I drove it in 4 hi and 4 low 2 hours ago). The running gear of the 4 wheel drive system works just fine. It's the system that tells the truck to GO into 4wd that's acting up.

This seems to be a signal (electrical) problem, not a mechanical one.

But thanks.

-JM
Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #11

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Look at the thread to light up the 4 wheel drive switch Mod. It shows how to get it apart.

Sometimes you can do more damage than good trying to fix a switch but I'll give you this tip. A silver conductive pen can save you. If the contacts are worn cause of lots of use you can build them back up with the pen. Let dry well. Or if a trace looks iffy same you can repair it with the pen.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...wd-switch.html
Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
Well, it's $56.82 for a new 4wd switch from Toyota. With the no return policy on electronics, and the fact that I am not positive that this is the problem, I think I'll find someone close that will let me "borrow" theirs for testing purposes...

-JM
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I had my actuator go bad in my 2006. Toyota replaced in under warranty. The light would flash and not engage. Not sure if this helps.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
UPDATE: Went to Toyota dealer for free car wash, oil change and pedal recall mod. I asked them to check the 4wd and tell me what was wrong. Answer verbatim = "Uh...It's probably the switch".

I find it hilarious that they didn't know either. Anyway, I have ordered the switch and when I replace it, I will let ya'll know if that was the problem.

Thanks.

-JM
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is a old thread, but was the switch the problem...........just came back from trail, truck would not go into 4 hi or 4 low, no dash indicators or nothing. I was wondering if it was the switch or something else. HELP
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Start by checking the fuses.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane white trash View Post
UPDATE: Went to Toyota dealer for free car wash, oil change and pedal recall mod. I asked them to check the 4wd and tell me what was wrong. Answer verbatim = "Uh...It's probably the switch".

I find it hilarious that they didn't know either. Anyway, I have ordered the switch and when I replace it, I will let ya'll know if that was the problem.

Thanks.

-JM
In the meantime call it a prerunner
Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Start by checking the fuses.

yeah, did that and started a search on TW....thought could be the switch since everything looked good on tc..removed and disconnected, blew on it a few times, reconnected and BAM......... good as new. TACOMAWORLD...............FTW.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
I know my post is old but...

I replaced the switch and no change.

So, I am still where I was when I started this post:
  • The truck will go into 4WD just fine the key is in the "off" position, I turn the 4WD switch to 2H and then start the truck.
  • MOST of the time it will NOT go into 4WD when the truck is running (no flashing light, no NOTHING).
I called the dealer and asked about the 4WD "ECU" behind the glove box and the parts guy told me he has NEVER sold one. Of course, that doesn't mean mine isn't shot, but I thought I would pose the question to you guys one more time before I start just parts changing.

Any ideas where to start???

Any help would be appreciated.

-JM
Old 01-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
Update:

I went to the dealer today for the Airbag Recall fix. That went well and they even washed my nasty truck.

HOWEVER, they claim that the front differential actuator is bad and that is why I am having this problem.

I'm not sure I'm convinced.

It seems like if it was the actuator, then it would not go into 4 wheel even if I turn the truck off, switch it to 4 wheel and then start the truck. But, as stated above, that works every time. Plus, after seaching the forums, everyone with a bad actuator complains of a blinking 4WD light. I do not have that problem.

So, next question: Can the front differential actuator cause my truck's symptoms? If so, HOW?

Thanks.