1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GPS Hardwire Idea - Need Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MenaceAllen, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Aug 9, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    Hey Guys,

So I am planning on hardwiring my GPS on my 2010 Double Cab. I have the unit mounted on the left corner of my windshield. I want to get another push button OEM switch and make it toggle the power to the unit on/off. I dont use my GPS all the time and dont want it starting everytime I turn on my vehicle. I have purchased the Garmin Hardwire kit that reduces the power so my GPS won't fry.

I have a couple of questions...

1.) Does anyone know what fuse I should tie into in that removable cubby area? (Below)

[​IMG]

2.) What is the best/easiest way to tie into a fuse? (Part # from a store)

3.) Does anyone know of a part # for a blank OEM push button toggle switch? Similar to the fog light switch (Below)

[​IMG]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I have mine hard wired in the same spot and I used a add a circuit from any auto parts store. You can use the appropriate fuse for the garmin unit and tap into any of the fuses. I did not switch mine, not a big deal to turn it off and also I never leave it up in the window when I am parked anywhere. I recommend you keep it simple and wire it up to the accessory fuse, unplug it and put it in the console when you are parked/not using it. I live/work in a low crime area and was walking into the office one day a few months ago and saw a vehicle with the window smashed in. I found the owner in the buildling, he had his Garmin on the dash.

3. Aug 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    Hey man, thanks for the advice but I live in North Dakota and am not concerned about crime and want to wire it just like I stated...

4. Aug 10, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    Roger that. Try these:
    you can get switches that fit our factory slots from oznium, they are scion switches but they will fit with just a little bit of trimming. For a switch like you showed to fit you will need a dremmel and to cut a slot out of the blank plastic filler piece that you already have in your dash.
    http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

Or here is the OEM fog lamp switch (84160-04010).

Products Discussed in

To Top