1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Price of "mods" to improve fuel economy VS cost !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by moulin6801, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Aug 11, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Here's another decent article with good testing methods:http://www.omninerd.com/articles/Improve_MPG_The_Factors_Affecting_Fuel_Efficiency

Summary:

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    ^^

Wow, no mention of coasting to a stop? IMO and experience that and reducing top speed are tops on the list of ways to save gas. I watch people zoom up to red lights and stop signs then slam on the brakes all day long. It's particularly amusing when I can watch something like a Civic doing it, all the while thinking I'm actually getting better MPGs than they are (at least at that moment :rolleyes: )

3. Sep 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    RobV

RobV Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Ripley,Ms.
    Vehicle:
    04' Tacoma DC 4x4 SR5 V6
    LED Interior Lights, 10K Smittybuilt Winch, Kenwood Excelon DNX8890HD DVD Navigation, Blue LED Instrument lights 3.5 Spacer and add a leaf lift.
    Can you really get better mileage from high octane fuel??? My experience has been that premium gas burns faster and doesn't seem to last as long.

4. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Agreed with all of Evil Monkey's sayings (which are pretty logic and intelligent). I have hard time to believe that a change in air filter would lead to fuel economy, since you just close throttle more which lead to same restriction.

Only thing I could have thought is that it could lead to slightly more ignition advance, since ECU would sense a ''more closed'' throttle position while driving speed, but I hightly doubt that.

Products Discussed in

To Top