Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1GR-FE Dry-Sump Lubrication?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
1GR-FE Dry-Sump Lubrication?

Noticed these guys installed another fitting between the oil cooler and the oil filter. The fitting has two steel-braided hoses going into it. Does that look like part of a dry-sump system?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know but lets see the numbers for that thing.....i would assume its an x runner
Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
that might be for a pcv catch can

edit: correct me if i'm wrong i think that is the engine bay of the prototype trd x-runner
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
More likely it is an external oil cooler.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
PCV catch can should not require steel braided lines of that size. Definitely oil lines at highe pressure.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
edit: correct me if i'm wrong i think that is the engine bay of the prototype trd x-runner
im almost positive your correct...therefore whatever is on there, its just to look cool....
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Wait..duh, oil lines for the supercharger.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
im almost positive your correct...therefore whatever is on there, its just to look cool....
It IS the TRD X-runner, never in doubt. Interesting enough they are using the stock oil filter and oil cap instead of TRD parts. The TRD oil filter is suspected to be the same as K&N, which has less filter area and possibly greater pressure drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Wait..duh, oil lines for the supercharger.
So unlike the regular TRD supercharger, which has its own self-contained supply of oil, you think this one uses engine oil?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
So unlike the regular TRD supercharger, which has its own self-contained supply of oil, you think this one uses engine oil?
before we all start getting crazy on this...where did you find this pic? is it infact from the SEMA yellow xrunner? cause i know that was all tricked out and supposedly the engine didnt even run...which is why i stated i think a lot of that stuff is for show...
Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks like a sandwich adapter for an external oil cooler.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #11

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with superchargers, I just know that turbochargers require engine oil pressure and perhaps some superchargers do the same. If this is a regular TRD supercharger, and if those have their own oil, then that leaves me with my other hypothesis, external oil cooler.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
...then that leaves me with my other hypothesis, external oil cooler.
or its just for show....
Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
before we all start getting crazy on this...where did you find this pic? is it infact from the SEMA yellow xrunner? cause i know that was all tricked out and supposedly the engine didnt even run...which is why i stated i think a lot of that stuff is for show...
Like I wrote before, it is the yellow X-runner. The magazine has action shots of the truck, so it ran...
http://www.modified.com/features/061.../photo_15.html
Looking at the other pics, the truck has a one-piece grille and bumper cover. Damn, wonder how much that cost to fabricate.

Quote:
I don't have a lot of experience with superchargers, I just know that turbochargers require engine oil pressure and perhaps some superchargers do the same. If this is a regular TRD supercharger, and if those have their own oil, then that leaves me with my other hypothesis, external oil cooler.
The stock oil-to-water cooler should be sufficient. Honda sport bikes use a similar oil cooler and those engines rely tremendously on oil for cooling. I think the most appropriate reason for the fitting is connection to a dry-lump system. The stock 1GR-FE oilpan was never designed for the lateral g's this truck is capable of.