1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership vs. Non-Dealership (Mechanic)

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Talk' started by hvaughn, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    hvaughn

hvaughn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I recently bought a used 2009 double cab tacoma. It has about 30,000 miles on it and is ready for its 30,000 mile service. Here's my dilemma... do I take it into my local dealership or to my friend for basic maintenance?

Option 1: Dealership.. I don't know personally but can show that they've done all the service work if I encounter any issues that may be covered under the warranty.

Option 2: My friend (who has his own business and is a certified toyota mechanic), whom I know and trust to be a thorough and great mechanic.

My concern is that if I were to encounter any "warranty" related work, that I could get some resistance from my local dealership b/c I don't have a record of bringing the truck into them for routine service.

Thoughts, comments, recommendations ???

Thank you!

2. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If something catastrophic happens, whether you had your truck serviced at the dealership or an independent certified mechanic, it isn't going to be an easy battle.

I'd say if your friend has all the credentials and you know and trust his work I would take your truck to him.

3. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    Take it too your friend. Toyota can not void your warrenty for taking your truck to a independent for servicing. Just keep all your ROs so you can show them proof its had servicing, if a issue does arise.

4. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Consider yourself fortunate that you have a personal friend who is a Toyota Certified mechanic.

That's where I'd do business.

5. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    According to this act, a dealer cannot void a warranty when you take your vehicle to a non-dealer mechanic to have service performed, as long as the service provided covers everything that would be done for the service interval. So, as long as your mechanic performs the complete 30,000 mile service, you are still covered under the warranty.

Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
    Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.
    This is illegal.
    Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.
    When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.
    There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).
    In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.
    Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.
    If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.
    If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

6. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    This is copied from Grease Monkey and refers to the Magnuson Moss Act and vehicle service.

For the Life of Your Vehicle.
    The Magnuson-Moss Act

YOU DON’T HAVE TO TAKE YOUR VEHICLE TO THE DEALER TO MAINTAIN YOUR WARRANTY.

New and used car dealers are notorious for their claims that only they can provide warranty work on a car or truck that they sell. Some have gone so far as to state that a warranty will be rendered invalid if anyone other than a dealer’s service department does the work, or if any product other than a brand-name product is used.

This practice was one of a number of questionable tactics that led to the enactment of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a component of the Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, and was passed in an effort to “improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, to prevent deception, and improve competition…” It mandates disclosures designed to enhance consumer protection through awareness of implied and express warranties attached to products and services.

7. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Take it to the friend. In in the same boat as you. My buddy owns his own shop and is a certified mechanic.

When I trashed my tranny I brought it to the dealer. I have a lift too. They never asked for any paperwork. Just dropped a new tranny in for free since it was under warranty.

8. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    Twony

Twony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    South Philthy
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD 6 speed 4x4
    Got alot I want to do but we'll see, that's what the forum is for...
    +1, buddy all the way but you could learn and do it yourself if you have the means; garage or driveway, some misc tools, a catch pan, a buddy, beer and a radio. I do all my own work & just took mine to Toyota for warranty & had NO issues, I have a trans issue with grinding into 5th gear but they knew this was already a known prob w/ the 6 speeds.

--Twony--

9. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Option 2. You know it will be well taken care of & your friend will not try & fleece you on repairs that do not need to be done. Plus I'm sure he is less expensive than the stealer,,hmm I mean dealer.

I've never had any of the 30k, 60k mile check ups. That is just something dealers came up with to rip consumers off. I have 155,000 miles on my 05 truck. I just do the regular maint. Only thing I had to do is replace the 5 year old factory battery,

10. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    The only reason my truck sees the dealership at is because I got 2 years of free maintenence when I bought it. At two years and 1 day it will go to my regular mechanic.

11. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    hvaughn

hvaughn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thank you for the feedback. I prefer taking it to someone I know and trust. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything to affect my warranty.

Heath

12. Feb 2, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    audi2000

audi2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockwood Maine, Englewood Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRDoffroad 4x4 6spd
    I had a Grand Cherokee in 95 with a radiator leak, dripped. I could not find source so I took to a dealer, they fixed for $400. Next day I had a long drive and about 60 miles the Jeep starts bucking like I was running out of gas, but I had plenty of gas. Make it to the service station and he looks through SUV and finds no transmission fluid. It was cooled via radiator. Was a small rubber connector that had split. He repaired, filled up fluid and charged me $50. So, it runs ok untill next day when it will not move, blown tranny. Have it towed to dealer, rent car, go to dealer and told them they blew my tranny, he looks up service record and said they only replaced rubber connector, the same one that was split. Told them the mechanic replaced the part they replaced for $50 and they owed me a tranny repair. They offered to do the work for $2000, I said FU and went to my lawyer, lawyer said it would cost me to much to make suing them worthwhile and I should try small claims. Didn't bother. Never went back to a dealer again unless it was warranty work.
    Next story, I bought an A4 in 1999. Took it to dealer for all warranty work. When it came off I went to a mechanic I know who worked on Audis to have oil changed. Put on lift, and before he changed oil he showed me that the dealer had been pulling down on the engine protector instead of taking it off completely to save time and had ripped it. Audi has a nice warranty which paid for all work except tires untill 50k.
    I now try to fix most problems myself.
    Dealers suck.

13. Feb 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    This is a no brainer. Take a look in your manual & look over what the 30k service entails. It's basic general maintenance & a check list. Do it yourself or let your bud handle it. Or take it to the dealership & we'll have another dealership bashing thread to read later.

14. Feb 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    yes, do it yourself. it's not tough at all and you get to work on your truck and you know it's done right.

you can get it done in an afternoon. the DIYs on this site are great

15. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    WildWolfy

WildWolfy Assitant Trainer/ Supervisor

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    Just Startin Stock TRD with Locking Rear and SR5 package
    jesus, $300 + for a oil change.. I need to let the manager know we are under charging, and ya'll have some shitty mech. around you. worst thing that ever went thru this shop was a car we cant find a vapor leak on. Or replacement parts costing to much that a Cust. leaves pissed. the other is if I FU and schedual wrong/ too many people per work load. As for the transmission, call Toyota directly next time, Toyota will make the dealership eat the labor and provide you with the Tranny. Last thing they want is a bunch of people running around saying dealers suck, imho

16. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    For me, while my vehicle is under warranty for a particular part of its function, I'm gonna take it to the dealer for service on that part... I just don't want to have any issues down the road if something major goes wrong. Perhaps when I get past the toyotacare period I'll change my mind...

17. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    You friend is fine. By law the dealer can't say shit about who works on it. If a warranty part fails, unless they can prove your friend did it, they have to fix it. Just keep your receipts that the work was done.

18. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    billwot

billwot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access 4 cyl auto SR5
    My '11 Maintenance Manual specifically states that the vehicle doe NOT have to be serviced by Toyota service departments, and that you are NOT required to use OEM replacement parts.

bill

Products Discussed in

To Top