1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roll Up tonneau cover that doesn't use the rails, does it exist ?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by EricGagne, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Aug 13, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I read many of the topics about tonneau covers but I didn't see (or just missed) it.

Does anyone make a roll up tonneau cover that doesn't interfere with the rails ? I have a cargo divider, bed extender and 4 hooks already using the rails and I'd hate to lose some functionality with them.

I know that Toyota covers don't interfere with any accessories but they only have trifolds and I would prefer not to loose the ability to have my bed completely opened when I need it without having to remove the cover.

2. Aug 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I couldn't find one when I was shopping...went w/ the trifold.

3. Aug 13, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    TBH I'm afraid that's the only answer I'm gonna get but it's worth asking :)

Say you drive around and see something big you want to buy right away, can the Toyota trifold be removed quickly and easily to free up the whole bed ?

And how wide is it ? Once removed would it fit in the access cab behind the front seats ?

4. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I don't think it'd fit in the access cab. But it does remove quickly and easily (held on by a spring latch in the back and a plastic wing nut in the front) if you want to remove it. I've never had to completely remove it to haul anything. It would likely fit lenght wise in the bed along w/ your large item if necessary.

5. Aug 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    try the access lite rider, i have it and can still use all my rails functionality... just had to move the rails about 3/4" inward (toward the bed)

6. Aug 19, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I finally went with the Access Literider and had it installed this morning. First good new is that my bed extender works, it passes extremely close to the Literider's rails but I can easily grind 1/16" off of it to make sure I don't scratch my extender.

I also had 1" removed on each end of the divider which will allow it to fit but I can't re-install it for now because the sliders don't fit in the rail anymore. The bolt and washer provided by Access are thicker than the original torx bolts and I can't slide them in.

I know others are using the Literider specifically because they wanted to keep the rails but did you have that problem ?

I'm not sure if I should grind the sliders or remove all the bolts and replace the washer with thinner ones.

7. Aug 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Problem fixed, I grinded about 2/3" or 3/4" off of the bolt's head that sticks out on the side that slides in the rail and that did it. I have a Literider tonneau cover with fully functional rails, cleats, cargo divider and bed extender :D

Thanks to TW, without the forum it would have taken me forever to find the right cover.

8. Aug 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    FWIW, the Access LE works.

Products Discussed in

To Top