1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BakBox for the BakFlip G2

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by t-frax, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    t-frax

t-frax [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    Has anyone heard of this BakBox?
    its a new product from Bakliner who makes the bakflip.
    It says it will come out in november but was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? it looks like this:

[​IMG]

it collapses and is made of the same aluminum as the cover. it uses the cover as the lid. i've been wanting a truck box for the longest time but since i have the tonneau cover i can't use a standard box. this seems like the best solution.
    any thoughts?

below is the video of the bakbox opening and closing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hweRVa3pvXM?fs=1

2. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Holy Supermassive photo Batman!! :eek:
    Anyway you can re-size that?

3. Aug 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    pcledrew

pcledrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    The only problem I can see is that if you watch his hands when he opens and closes the rear most [nearest the tailgate] "wall" of the bakbox, he hold's that piece carefully when the tray is not in place, it seems as though that sliding tray is actually used to provide stability to that bak [see what i did there?] wall of the box.

4. Aug 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    t-frax

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    yeah i noticed that when he first collapsed it as it collapsed on it own. the 2nd time i saw him hold it before collapsing it.

5. Aug 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    TacomaMtnMan

TacomaMtnMan those who seek fear shall be followed by fear

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Broomfield
    Vehicle:
    Fox Shox lifted DC 4x4
    3" lift using Fox Shocks Coilover, Total Chaos UCA's. Running: Duratrac 285/70/17 Rear suspension just a 1" block for now. Will have custom rear springs no block. Fox w/ Resi.

I am confused on why this is a problem?

I think it looks cool, very innovative. I am sure they will work out the kinks with this box, but a great idea and I sure they will be selling a lot of these.

:D

6. Aug 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    bailerc

bailerc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    in looks alright but im confused be the repetitiveness of that video , did he need to do it more than once ?

7. Aug 14, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    t-frax

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:

I've talked to the owner of bakliner over the phone before so i know that was the voice giving the orders to the guy. I believe the point they were trying to get across was what collapsing and uncollapsing the box was simple and fast and can be done over and over which probably explains the repetitiveness.

8. Aug 15, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Jmaimin

Jmaimin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julian
    Okay everyone, here's the bottom line on the new BakBox. Firstly, let me introduce myself: I am Julian Maimin and I am the owner and CEO of BAK Industries, as well as the designer of both the BakFlip and the new BakBox.

What you see in the BakBox video is a PROTOTYPE that is not yet complete. The final product will be far more robust than the prototype and will likely be released to market in about 3 weeks from now. The walls of the box will be modular to be able to ship in a small box and fold out the way when not in use, but when folded to the box configuration, will be as solid as any toolbox you've ever seen. The walls will not flop down as they appear in the prototypical video. They will be able to be firmly secured in place.

email me at julian@bakliner.com if you need further info. I will make sure to notify all when the product is released.

One thing I can assure you all of, is that when we do release the new BakBox, it will be a stellar product that will be worthy of the BAK logo.

9. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    Rockinroad

Rockinroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    Hello: My name is Morrie and I own and manage www.bakfactoryoutlet.com. We specialize in all Bak Industries products exclusively. I visit the factory every week to pickup product for my local customers in San Diego and Orange Counties. The Tacoma model BakFlip is one of my favorites because of its unique engineering that adapts to the Tacomas cargo rails. I have just seen the latest prototype of the BakFlip BakBox and it is going to blow your minds. We are accepting pre-orders for an anticipated ship date of 9/15. Because of its ergonomic and practical design the BakBox will do for the tool box what the BakFlip did for the tonneau cover industry. The BakBox will create a new way to organize all of the small stuff floating around in the back of your truck both inside and out. Please feel free to contact me through the forum or my personal e-mail morrie@dinamitetbs.com. You can also call us at 866 506-0142 ext. 704

10. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    t-frax

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    how much will they be going for the tacoma models? and will be there a difference between the long and short beds?

11. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    Rockinroad

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    We are offering the new BakBox to our customers at $199. inc.shipping. The reail MAP price will be $249. Shipping is expected for the 2nd week of Sept.

12. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    t-frax

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    gotta be honest, compared to a regular truck box, that kinda sounds steep. Might have to hold off on pulling the trigger on this one for now.

13. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    TacomaMtnMan

TacomaMtnMan those who seek fear shall be followed by fear

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Broomfield
    Vehicle:
    Fox Shox lifted DC 4x4
    3" lift using Fox Shocks Coilover, Total Chaos UCA's. Running: Duratrac 285/70/17 Rear suspension just a 1" block for now. Will have custom rear springs no block. Fox w/ Resi.
    I am interested to know more about this box. I dont think its something I will buy right away, but after a few months and depending on how much room it takes up while its folded away and when reviews start coming in on people that like/dislike it :)

14. Aug 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    Jmaimin

Jmaimin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julian
    Here's another look at how much room it takes up. Not much! The open box measures out to 11 inches deep, 10 inches wide and the width of the truck bed inside the rails.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFv8uNHAJ1M

15. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    That's actually really cool!

I will definitely consider getting the Bakflip and box probably around Christmas time when I treat myself.

I'm in SD so maybe you can hook a local up when my time comes......and if its a good enough deal I could get ready really quick. :D

16. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    Rockinroad

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    hey there Lembowski:
    I always take care of locals! Our introductory price of $199. is all I can post for you right now, but sometimes I can be persuaded by a customer on the phone.
    The intro price will be good until the end of Sept. and the BakBox will start shipping in mid Sept.

Thanks,
    Morrie:bananadance::bananadance:

17. Aug 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Morrie I will be buying the cover and the box all at one time. I will give you a call next week and see what can be done about the combo.

18. Sep 26, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    _swede

_swede Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB AT
    I talked to Morrie at the end of last week. I placed an order for two complete setups (BAKFlip G2, BAKBox, tiedowns and DynoLock) for a 2nd gen Taco and an '02 Tundra. It was very reassuring talking to him. I had all of my questions answered and felt absolutely no sales pressure. I'm expecting delivery on 9/30 and 10/4 respectively, I can't wait!

THANK YOU for excellent customer service!! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top