1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying 2008 Tacoma ($$$)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by andrew, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Jun 29, 2008 at 6:21 AM
    andrew

andrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4- totaled
    OEM bug deflector
    Hi all, I'm new here but I'm already enjoying these forums and I'm on here every day. I've been in the market for a particular tacoma the past 4 months (2008, Access cab, I4, 2.7 liter, auto, indigo ink) and have talked to a number of dealers. I personally talked to one guy and we went through the numbers...he ended up offering $20,800 as a total cost. I went on Edmunds and found TMV to be $19,800, with invoice at $19,400. My question is, is it reasonable to offer a number around TMV or around invoice? I'm terrible at haggling and I'd just like to know what you guys think. Originally, I wanted to spend around 18k but I highly doubt I'll get that. Appreciate your opinions. Thanks!!

2. Jun 29, 2008 at 6:36 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to the Fourum!
    Getting invoice is the better price. Check other dealers and see what they can do for ya.
    FWIW, when I went to get my Tacoma, I had my wifes phone and mine, each one had a different dealer on speaker phone. I went into the finace dept, set the phones on the guys desk, and let the throw numbers at each other until one was $500.00 below invoice. At that point, two of the dealers couldnt match it, and I bought me truck. :)

3. Jun 29, 2008 at 6:44 AM
    bounrith

bounrith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Snug Lid F2
    Knowing the invoice price is good and you should try to get $500 below that. But you should further do your homework and get a complete report from Consumer Report listing every options. I think it is worth the $15 or so. Because you aren't necessary going to compare exact trucks across multiple dealers. The dealer might have this or that installed and hit you on that.

AAA/Costco/Credit Unions all have auto buying program. Check those out.

4. Jun 29, 2008 at 7:03 AM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    costco program gets your a price at $300 OVER invoice... and they wont budge from that. at least from my experience.
    usually if you go thru internet sales.... theyw ill email you a price that is right around invoice.
    if you like the truck, when you get to really talking, they will probably show you the invoice price and depending on your salesman, its easier if youre with one who doesnt get commision of the sales price, only by the sale, try going under invoice and youre more likely to get it done.

some dealers websites will tell you whether the salesmen are paid the same whether you buya corolla or a loaded tundra.

i know that charles maund toyota in austin, theyre guys are paid a flat fee regardless of how much you spend... i got my toy from there for about 300 under invoice :)

5. Jun 29, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    ricepow

ricepow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport
    Heres the best tool I can give you. www.carsdirect.com. They are actually a place you can buy a vehicle from but you pick it up at the dealer. Their prices are usually exceptional and include any availble rebates in your area. I go on there, pick whatever vehicle it is I want and what options I want then take that to the dealer. I tell the dealer I would like them to match this price. I can either buy it from carsdirect and pick it up at the dealer or buy it from them and pick it up at the dealer. I have done this with the last 4 vehicles I have bought. Each and every time it takes a pretty good amount of bargaining and effort, but in the end they have done it every time. It usually involves walking out and being called to come back, lol. They usually dont seem very happy about doing it, so it must be a pretty good deal. A great thing about this is like was mentioned above is some dealers may have different options installed on the vehicles. Well this sheet has a breakdown of the cost of each option and they are significantly less than the dealer retail price, so when you get there you can just add or subtract based on the options. Try it out.

6. Jun 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    If you don't get the deal you want at one dealer, go to another dealer.

Thats the great thing about being the consumer. You have the ability to go wherever to get your truck.

7. Jun 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM
    andrew

andrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4- totaled
    OEM bug deflector
    Thanks all for the help. I know exactly what I want...looks like I'll just have to throw my weight around and find a dealer who will take an offer around or lower than invoice. Just want to make sure I get a good deal....now the hard part is finding the exact truck I want, especially with all these 09's coming out...grrr...

Products Discussed in

To Top