LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great

Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #41
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
As someone mentioned earlier about hauling plywood, thats what the notches were designed for. On full size pickups, you can fit 4x8 plywood or drywell between the wheel wells. On the smaller pickups, the place these notches so that they can still hual loads properly. I used that function a few times to haul drywall in my old '94 Ranger back in the day. Quite handy.

For the middle support, instead of nailing or screwing in braces, you could consider just attaching them with a little piano hinge. That would allow it to remain properly fixed when placed at 90 degrees for support, and will collapse down for easy storage. Just a thought...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #42
oldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldcorps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Name: Bryan
oldcorps's Tacoma Gallery
nice tent, which one is it?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #43
T-REX
ninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
ninorth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ninorth Send a message via Yahoo to ninorth
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcorps View Post
nice tent, which one is it?
Cheap North Pole Dome Truck Tent
Old 04-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #44
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahooten View Post
After hours of research on various styles of sleeping platforms, I decided to try something very simple. Using the factory notches cut out in the 2nd Gen Tacoma bed liner......lay 2 2x6's in these notches, cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, staple on carpet....done. It looks great, is very sturdy, there isn't a single screw, and the entire contraption pops in or out of the bed in less than 1 minute. Total cost: $75.

Here are a few photos.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a quick and easy elevated platform.

Cheers.
Quick question,
Will this be strong enough to support 2 people? or should I prop it underneath somehow.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #45
jahooten has a spectacular aura aboutjahooten has a spectacular aura aboutjahooten has a spectacular aura about
jahooten's Tacoma Gallery
I was surprised at how strong this is without any vertical supports....it will hold 2 adults just fine.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #46
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I did something similar. Mine is a short bed so I needed the tailgate to also function as part of the sleeping platform. I made a support piece which slides out and made a folding section that lies on top of the platform. The support piece is now set up to work as a table (folding legs) when it's out of the truck (no pics):

Truck tent:
Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #47
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I did something similar. Mine is a short bed so I needed the tailgate to also function as part of the sleeping platform. I made a support piece which slides out and made a folding section that lies on top of the platform. The support piece is now set up to work as a table (folding legs) when it's out of the truck (no pics):

Sweet setup! Never seen a truck tent like that, where'd you find that at?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #48
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
Sweet setup! Never seen a truck tent like that, where'd you find that at?
http://www.tentsontrucks.com/midsize.html
Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #49
AK Tundra is on a distinguished road
AK Tundra's Tacoma Gallery
questions regarding sleeping in the back of your truck

Hey folks - so I'm new here, and I also don't own a Tacoma - I hope that doesn't disqualify me from the forum. I do own a sweet '06 Tundra though that I'm planning on driving from Alaska to the east coast and then on to the west coast. I'll be sleeping in the bed on a platform under a topper - the platform here looks awesome. So my questions are...do I need to worry about condensation forming on the truck bed if I don't have a liner in it? I'll definitely be hitting colder weather and I don't want my gear to get soaked from any moisture that may build up. Also, without a liner, will dust and moisture make its way from the road into the bed? Has anyone had any trouble with condensation forming on the inside of a fiberglass topper without any roof liner? Many thanks and I must say - it's awesome to see so many folks so pysched about their Toyota's!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #50
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
AK Tundra,

You'll probably have some condensation in the topper (with or without a headliner in the topper), a little worse with no headliner. Some dust will find it's way into the bed, but unless you're traveling dusty gravel roads the entire trip, it's probably not worth worrying about. Have a good road trip!

Mike
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #51
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
bump.....i mean subbed
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #52
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 and I dont think my truck has those notches on the wheel wells.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #53
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a bed liner?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:42 AM   #54
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has the notches but they are not on the wheel well. They are right in front of it and then near the end of the bed. No bed liner just the stock composite bed. I guess its cuase mines a long bed.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #55
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Tundra View Post
Hey folks - so I'm new here, and I also don't own a Tacoma - I hope that doesn't disqualify me from the forum. I do own a sweet '06 Tundra though that I'm planning on driving from Alaska to the east coast and then on to the west coast. I'll be sleeping in the bed on a platform under a topper - the platform here looks awesome. So my questions are...do I need to worry about condensation forming on the truck bed if I don't have a liner in it? I'll definitely be hitting colder weather and I don't want my gear to get soaked from any moisture that may build up. Also, without a liner, will dust and moisture make its way from the road into the bed? Has anyone had any trouble with condensation forming on the inside of a fiberglass topper without any roof liner? Many thanks and I must say - it's awesome to see so many folks so pysched about their Toyota's!
Yeah, you'll probably get a lot of condensation. Opening the windows a little will help, but you might get some pseudo-rain towards the early morning hours.

If the Tundra is anything like the Taco, there's probably some gaps near the tailgate that will let in dust. Also, make sure the weatherstripping on your topper is good to go.

Finally, head over to expeditionportal.com for lots of folks that have done similar. Great group, good ideas, and lots have done East Coast to AK trips, West Coast trips, etc. They can give you good tips on avoiding straight highway driving.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #56
AK Tundra is on a distinguished road
AK Tundra's Tacoma Gallery
hey all - thanks for the replies...

GP3 - not sure if you're question was for me, but no, I don't have a bed liner

Caduceus - thanks for the link to expeditionportal - looks like a great site

Trout Bum - thanks for the advice on keeping it cheap and simple - I definitely have to keep remembering that...
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #57
DanCorcoran is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DanCorcoran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighterknot View Post
I did the same thing but found that even with 3/4" plywood it still sagged in the middle so I screwed center supports to the 2x6's. It is still completely removable and doesn't even think about budging when I lay on it. Also on my 2008 the slots were too deep for my 2x6s to slit flush so I shimmed them to try to make it as flush as possible. Doing that helps spread the load the entire length of the rails.

I think the reason your 2x6s needed to be shimmed is that they don't appear to be 2x6s. In the photo, it looks like they are the same thickness as the 3/4" plywood, which would make them 1x6s. I think 2x6s would also be plenty strong enough to support two people, without center supports.

Edit one day later:

I just installed 3/4" plywood over 2x8s in my 2011 regular cab and there's no sag. I had to trim/narrow the last inch of each of the 2x8s down by about 3/8", since the slot is only 7" wide and a 2x8 is 7 3/8" wide. I figured it's better to have a board that fills the slot than one with slack.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #58
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
I love my BedRug, Carpeted Shell, Futon & Velcro window covers. I sleep like a baby. Honestly, better than at home. The pocket cut-outs on the side make great nightstands.

RZ Rob

Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #59
talltreesandmoss is on a distinguished road
talltreesandmoss's Tacoma Gallery
right on, i'm jealous
Old 05-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #60
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
OP...How much clearance do you have under the platform for storage?