Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great

Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #61
DanCorcoran is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DanCorcoran's Tacoma Gallery
Space under platform

I built mine just like OP's (it's not installed at the moment, though). The lowest point of the platform is the underside of the 2x6s (or 2x8s in my case), which are resting on the cutouts. Just measure from the bottom of the cutout to the bottom of the bed and that's how much space there is. There are no other supports to take up room or block access.

It's difficult to access the front of the truck bed with the platform in place, so I've seen some people make hinged "trap doors" in the platform. Others use boxes or make drawers that fit under the platform and slide them to the front, using rope or handles to retrieve them.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #62
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCorcoran View Post
Others use boxes or make drawers that fit under the platform and slide them to the front, using rope or handles to retrieve them.
I just used some of those under-bed plastic storage bins from Walmart.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #63
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
way cool....gotta do it myself!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #64
DanCorcoran is on a distinguished road
DanCorcoran's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the two sheets of 3/4" plywood and the 10' 2x8 at Home Depot. From the plywood they cut two pieces 56"x73" and from the 2x8 they cut two pieces 57" long. The only cutting I had to do was to trim 2/3" from the width at each end of the two 2x8s, so they'd fit down in the 7"wide slots. Home Depot didn't charge for the cuts they made, so the fabrication was really simple.

I had them cut the plywood to 56" instead of 57" (the bed width) so that there would be room for the carpet (4 thicknesses, one on each side of each sheet, about 1/4" each thick). I had them cut the plywood length short by 1/2" for the same reason: a 1/4" thickness at each end. After gluing and stapling the carpet on, the two pieces of plywood fit in the bed like they were custom fit: perfectly. Of course, they were custom fit!
Old 06-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #65
dta is on a distinguished road
dta's Tacoma Gallery
Another happy customer

Put my own version of this in today as well. I love this platform idea. So simple and it works great. Its nice to have the entire space below open without any struts. Thanks.

For what its worth I basically used the same dimensions as Dan. I have a VB (very short bed). Used two pieces of 5/8 plywood (a little lighter than 3/4) each cut to 56'' X 28.25.'' With the 2X10s these still provide plenty of stiffness; no sag with two people on top.

I trimmed a triangle that measures 2'' by 4.5'' or so off the back corner of each so they would mount flush with the back of the bed where it narrows slightly. With some thin carpet on they fit nice and snug; no slop.

Barely had to shave any width off the ends of the 2X8s to get them to fit the pockets nice and tight without any play.

I made it out of Home Depo with all the parts having only spent $52 on this.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #66
gptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura about
gptoy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to gptoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I love my BedRug, Carpeted Shell, Futon & Velcro window covers. I sleep like a baby. Honestly, better than at home. The pocket cut-outs on the side make great nightstands.

RZ Rob

Any pics of your window covers? Do you have the carpeted inside on your cap? And just attach the velcro to that?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #67
yellowlab will become famous soon enoughyellowlab will become famous soon enough
yellowlab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCorcoran View Post
I bought the two sheets of 3/4" plywood and the 10' 2x8 at Home Depot. From the plywood they cut two pieces 56"x73" and from the 2x8 they cut two pieces 57" long. The only cutting I had to do was to trim 2/3" from the width at each end of the two 2x8s, so they'd fit down in the 7"wide slots. Home Depot didn't charge for the cuts they made, so the fabrication was really simple.

I had them cut the plywood to 56" instead of 57" (the bed width) so that there would be room for the carpet (4 thicknesses, one on each side of each sheet, about 1/4" each thick). I had them cut the plywood length short by 1/2" for the same reason: a 1/4" thickness at each end. After gluing and stapling the carpet on, the two pieces of plywood fit in the bed like they were custom fit: perfectly. Of course, they were custom fit!

I followed this recipe, but opted to cut the plywood to 69.5" lengths and 28.25" widths. I didn't need to length to go all the way to the tailgate on the 6' bed so that a wet tailgate doesn't seep water into the carpet or wood deck. Also, I found outdoor low pile carpet at Home Depot and had them cut it to 34" width, it comes in the 12' roll. This was perfect to glue, wrap, and staple the edges. I also took the suggestion of another member and tapered the corners using the 4.5"x2" triangle for the metal corners nearest the tailgate. Lastly, I didn't find it necessary to cut down the 2/3" from the 2x10" as it seems to fit nice and snug in the factory bed locations. Took a couple hours to cut, wrap and glue down, the total cost of the project was about $80 including the adhesive (1 quart, all used) and the carpet ($17). I can't wait to use this for the fishing season opener next month. Thanks for this smart and easy to build elevated deck. I can keep my wet waders, rods, and fishing gear below deck and safe from being crushed. Also nice that the pocket cuddy is nearby to keep my phone, keys and Glock handy.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #68
BayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to all

BayTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my version

Thanks OP for the idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-2012-02-04-19.30.46.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #69
DShack4 is on a distinguished road
DShack4's Tacoma Gallery
There are so many different designs for building bed platforms but this definitely seems to be the most practical. Main reason I'm building is because I've got two yellow labs that go everywhere with me and having the space underneath the platform is going to be perfect. I wish I could get another inch or two of clearance under the platform but I'm pretty much right at the perfect height for the dogs to have enough room to move around.

I got free 3/4" plywood from work so I cut the cross beams in 7" widths from the the sheets of plywood. This is as far as I've gotten so far, we ran out of daylight, and beer. But I'm going to cut my two sheets when I get off work tonight. I've got the grey outdoor carpet from Home Depot that I'll glue and staple down after that. I'm glad that someone mentioned not building the length out all the way to the tailgate to prevent water getting on the platform. I was definitely about to build out from end to end.

I'll put up some pictures once I'm through, I'm sure it won't be the prettiest thing in the world but the more pictures the better I think. I'm also considering attaching a flip up door and attaching a lock. So even when it's unlocked I can remove it easily but having it locked would at least slow down anyone trying to get in there. Just a thought.

Cheers
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #70
gnarlycharlie is on a distinguished road
gnarlycharlie's Tacoma Gallery
my set-up

mine is simple and awesome
Attached Thumbnails
Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #71
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get carpet?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #72
O-------l
Del Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Del Scorcho's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished mine today...

Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362466068.564959.jpg

Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362466000.766767.jpg

Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362466022.977748.jpg
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #73
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
RickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Retired
RickG's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RickG
^^ That looks great. Padded too?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #74
gnarlycharlie is on a distinguished road
gnarlycharlie's Tacoma Gallery
some more photos. the use of threaded schedule 80 plumbing and flanges made it so it can break down and lay nearly flat in the truck bed if it's necessary. it's also the most simple and sturdy design possible. total cost of two 4x8 sheets of 3/4" birch ply, angle iron, outdoor carpet and plumbing/flanges was $65
Attached Thumbnails
Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-photo-2-copy.jpg   Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-photo-3.jpg   Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-photo-4.jpg   Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-photo-1.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #75
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninorth View Post
Cheap North Pole Dome Truck Tent
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...cjadv=CJTSGUSA
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #76
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: SHANE
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! You just put carpet only? I think if I do this, i'm going to put a layer of foam on it first
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #77
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
I realize this is years old and OP only had 15 posts so he will never read this... but...

Nice write up!

lol
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #78
O-------l
Del Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Del Scorcho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
^^ That looks great. Padded too?
Thanks!
Yeah, I had some foam padding lying around that I stuck on there before covering. Made a pretty big difference. I couldn't sleep directly on it, but you can get away with a thinner mattress pad.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #79
Weekend Warrior
dglove is just really nicedglove is just really nicedglove is just really nicedglove is just really nicedglove is just really nice

dglove's Tacoma Gallery
Just built one of these in my short bed. It was super easy and works great.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #80
Big Metal Hubajube
oZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SatCom Veteran
oZmonKey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm selling the one I made for an Access Cab (sold the Taco)

(SOLD)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...nd-gen-ac.html