LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great

Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
jahooten has a spectacular aura aboutjahooten has a spectacular aura aboutjahooten has a spectacular aura about
jahooten's Tacoma Gallery
Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great

After hours of research on various styles of sleeping platforms, I decided to try something very simple. Using the factory notches cut out in the 2nd Gen Tacoma bed liner......lay 2 2x6's in these notches, cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, staple on carpet....done. It looks great, is very sturdy, there isn't a single screw, and the entire contraption pops in or out of the bed in less than 1 minute. Total cost: $75.

Here are a few photos.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a quick and easy elevated platform.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-img00141.jpg   Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-img00139.jpg   Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great-img00140.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
wish my 1st gen had cut outs like the 2nd gens do. this would be a good idea for a bed tent too. good job
Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTacO View Post
wish my 1st gen had cut outs like the 2nd gens do. this would be a good idea for a bed tent too. good job
My 1st Gen has cutouts for the 2 x 6's. I currently have 2 x 4's in them to keep shit from sliding around. You must not have the cheap plastic bedliner that came in these things.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I bet that is the most comfortable place to sleep as well.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Forging Elite Fitness
TACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Mike
TACODACKS's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will make one of those myself. That is a great design.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
sweet thats for the pics
Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
What are these cut outs your talking about?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
Name: Jason
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahooten View Post
After hours of research on various styles of sleeping platforms, I decided to try something very simple. Using the factory notches cut out in the 2nd Gen Tacoma bed liner......lay 2 2x6's in these notches, cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, staple on carpet....done. It looks great, is very sturdy, there isn't a single screw, and the entire contraption pops in or out of the bed in less than 1 minute. Total cost: $75.

Here are a few photos.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a quick and easy elevated platform.

Cheers.
2 2x6's? Did you stack one on top of the other? I thought there was just one on each wheel well to lay one board across?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
jahooten has a spectacular aura aboutjahooten has a spectacular aura aboutjahooten has a spectacular aura about
jahooten's Tacoma Gallery
One 2x6 spanning the width of the bed, each resting on the factory cutout....no stacking. The cutouts are a strange size....they are bit wider than 6" and not quite deep enough for the 2x6 to sit flush with the wheel well. Not sure what Toyota exactly had in mind. Either way....the setup still works great.

I think some of the original 2nd gen Tacos might not have these notches.......not positive about that.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
Nice setup!

My 1st Gen has cutouts for the 2 x 6's. I currently have 2 x 4's in them to keep shit from sliding around. You must not have the cheap plastic bedliner that came in these things.
cheap factory one. i also have the double cab so my bed is shorter as well
Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Tojo is on a distinguished road

Tojo's Tacoma Gallery
Great idea! I'm thinking of doing something like this for hauling things....Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #15
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
truck bed

Great idea...just don't fly straight up out of bed to fast!

Its that abrupt stop that might suck!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
austex is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
austex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahooten View Post
One 2x6 spanning the width of the bed, each resting on the factory cutout....no stacking. The cutouts are a strange size....they are bit wider than 6" and not quite deep enough for the 2x6 to sit flush with the wheel well. Not sure what Toyota exactly had in mind. Either way....the setup still works great.

I think some of the original 2nd gen Tacos might not have these notches.......not positive about that.
I use treated pine deck boards - they are a full 1" thick and fit flush, though the nominal 6" width is still not wide enough.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
Ipunchwalls will become famous soon enoughIpunchwalls will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Ipunchwalls's Tacoma Gallery
Great job, though you must be short as I don't even fit in my dscb with the tailgate down. You mind snapping a picture with just the boards in place. I think that might clear up a little of the confusion.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
cobrakenny will become famous soon enoughcobrakenny will become famous soon enough

Name: Ken
cobrakenny's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job man!
I sleep in the back of my truck whenever we go to the race track or camping. I don't get why my buds drive their trucks to the site and then go through the extra work of setting up tents to sleep on rock hard ground. With the cap and a blow up mattress I'm very comfortable, dry, off the ground, hard shell against animals etc....
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
Nice idea!

Might do something similar.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #20
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I have always wondered if you couls fit some plywood on the bed rails and make a bed that way. With some extra support on it of course,