1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Mods?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IrishTaco, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aug 17, 2010 at 1:58 AM
    IrishTaco

IrishTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fort Lewis, Wa
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport 6spd
    Window Tint, K&N Air filter...ideas?
    hey guys new to the site as i just got an 08 trd sport. while still deciding on a audio system im wondering what other stuff to get. while noticing a difference is the fuel usage when compared to my 01 celica i was thinking of a CAI, would that be of any use to improve performance and/or mileage? and of course what kinds of mods did you guys do?

2. Aug 17, 2010 at 2:12 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    In regards to HP/$ a CAI is negligible. For it to pay itself off through savings in fuel economy would take a long time, which if you decide to get bigger tires, you also end up negating the fuel savings anyway. CAI's sound cool though. :)

My first mod was a Pop & Lock for the tailgate.

3. Aug 17, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Welcome Irish!

My first mod was to trim the front mud flap because it scraped the ground every time I backed into my garage. The tailgate hose clamp came soon after.

There's a thread here somewhere talking about the waste of money on the CAI. For a light truck I'm getting only 15 to 16 mpg.

You might also consider the extra D-rings in the bed.

4. Aug 17, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    CAI and even drop-in filters don't do anything for gas mileage.

I used to have a 1st gen truck that I put a bunch of 'gas mileage' improving type mods on it and it actually did improve the mileage by about 2-3mpg on average. However - I've done the same mods (and more) to my 2nd gen truck and I haven't seen any noticable improvements. For some reason, these 2nd gen trucks just aren't as forgiving. You're far better off getting a 'Scangauge II' and watching your mileage (as a gauge) and adapting your gas pedal usage accordingly.

Seat covers, floor mats,& tonneau cover were my first mods. Look at my profile for the rest of my mods.

5. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    IrishTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fort Lewis, Wa
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport 6spd
    how about an exhaust? any advantage of putting one in other then sounding cooler haha

edit- woops i meant an exhaust.

6. Aug 19, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    IrishTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fort Lewis, Wa
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport 6spd
    any opinions on an exhaust?

7. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Click on the box made with dots under each posters name on the left and you will see what they have done to their trucks. I did a lot of small mods that have been very useful. I got all the ideas and how to's on TW. Once you decide what you want to do there are posts that tell you how to do it and where to buy parts at the best price. Check the Stickys. Every one is very helpful here. Welcome to TW.

Products Discussed in

To Top