1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical Problems - 2010 Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by paulc, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aug 17, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    paulc

paulc [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorthernOntario
    Vehicle:
    Not Delivered YET!
    Bone Stock...so far...
    I seem to have bought a lemon. I have a 2010 TRD Extracab w leather. I have 13,000 km on it and have likely had it in the shop 15 times. I have had to replace every electronic component in the 4 wheel drive system. When it is cold the truck won't shift into 4 wheel drive - just flashes the 4Lo and 4wd icon. At that point I can't change into or out of 4 wheel drive until the truck has been shut off for a period of time and decides to work. Next step according to the shop apparently is to change the front diff. No code shows up on the diagnostics when the dealer checks with service computer.

Then the heated seats burned out and needed to be replaced.

I have had 3 vent fan motors put in - keep squeaking.

Lately the stereo will spit out all of the discs and then will stop working for a day or two and then mysteriously start working.

Is anyone else suffering the same dismal reliability? Anyone aware of a Service bulletin or program from Toyota to solve this? I'd prefer a new vehicle as I am concerned the electronic demons will not be exorcised and I'll be faced with big bills when warranty disappears. Not to mention time off work to take the thing in so frequently.:confused:

To be clear, I like the Taco, seating, driving, gas mileage etc. Just want mine to be as good as yours.

2. Aug 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Man that sucks. I would be demanding a new truck.:mad:

3. Aug 17, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
  4. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  5. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    paulc

paulc [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorthernOntario
    Vehicle:
    Not Delivered YET!
    Bone Stock...so far...
    We have a sale of goods act and a consumer protection act that give some asssitance, but not as good as the "Lemon Law" as far as I know. There is also a Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Program that will offer some assistance. I wondered though if Toyota had any programs to maintain goodwill in these situations.

6. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    Sorry for the off topic but I didn't know you can buy Tacomas with leather. Or is it after-market.

7. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Forks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    leather and heated seats? you sure whoever installed that stuff didnt monkey around with the wiring for the rest of your truck?

8. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    thats my guess to

9. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    No problems thus far with my 2010 Tacoma.

10. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    This is just a theory, not based on any facts: Not saying it was caused by the heated seats (after-market, I assume) but don't electrical heated devices pull high current (not sure how much). If the car wasn't pre-wired and the installer tapped into some currently being used wires it can't be good if you turn it on long enough.

But then I've seen people installed new heated leather seat covers without any complaints, at least not yet. How did they do it?

11. Aug 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    My theory but I don't have your truck with a meter to test it but you might want to hint that the stealership does it.

My theory is the high draw of the heated seats goofed up one of the wiring bundles. With a meter and the battery disconnected check wiring that runs any where near the heated seats wires. Heat might have damaged that wiring. Check for ground faults on the positives. Now it seems to be random weirdness but it might have a common cause. I'm thinking the heated seats where doomed from the get go and they had a higher than expected current draw. They may have damaged wiring close by.

12. Aug 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah I'd be tapping a voltmeter all over that thing with seats on, seats off, stereo on stereo off, truck on ACC, truck engine on, etc. and see what curents draw. All those electronics are connected. Which brings me to an obvious question ... have they replaced the alternator? And PS ... it wouldn't hurt to call your provincial government and Toyota corporate, and ask about your options. Toyota is fragile to bad press right now and may want to work with you here.

13. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    paulc

paulc [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorthernOntario
    Vehicle:
    Not Delivered YET!
    Bone Stock...so far...
    Thanks to all for the input. I learned that we do have a program to cover faulty vehicles like the "lemon law" in the US.

In Ontario we can buy leather and heated seats as factory options.

In any case, my dealership has agreed to replace the truck. I'm getting an identical 2011 for only $3,500 - not bad for use of the truck for a year. So, I'm hoping to be a happy Taco owner soon. Projected delivery date for the 2011 is Nov 8th.

Thanks again folks!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top