Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Extang Trifecta mounting question

Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Extang Trifecta mounting question

I got my Trifecta from Autoanything yesterday and found it really is as easy as they show to mount it. But I do have a question.

The front (cab) end hand screw clips fit nicely into the rail, but I can't tighten the T-handle screws because as they get close to tight, they interfere with the rail itself. Extang includes a set of brackets with their cover that attach to the rail and make a perfectly good mounting point, so it was just another 5 minute step to get it installed. I did not have the same issue with the rear (tailgate) attach as they are spring compressed rather than T-handle screw connector.

Question is; Did you have to use the extra bracket to install your Trifecta on 2010 AC 6-foot bed? Or did you muscle the T-handle past the edge of the rail? Or, did you remove the T-handle and use a wrench?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
CannondaleMan is on a distinguished road

Marines: Corporal of Marines
CannondaleMan's Tacoma Gallery
I just kept turning. No real difficulty with doing so....beyond a little skin off the knuckles and a few choice words slipping out between the lips.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
i managed to tighten mine by hand... just

but it gets easier everytime. I have to take my cover off once a week or so for hauling work material and now they unscrew no problem, can get the cover on or off in 30 seconds. I used the brackets front and rear that came in the box.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
I put 5 or six washers in between and its much easier to tighten.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd0311 View Post
I put 5 or six washers in between and its much easier to tighten.
Hey good idea, why didn't I think of that? Maybe I don't do my best thinking upside down and backwards in the dark?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I dont remember brackets coming with mine. I'll have to check on that. I just hand tightened it. i thought it was a little rough when i put it on, but thats as far as i got with it. It tightened pretty decent.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I used the brackets and an addtional nut for each bolt.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Outdoorsman

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Time Lapse Photography

Just a couple minutes from box to installed
Attached Thumbnails
Extang Trifecta mounting question-p1030008.jpg   Extang Trifecta mounting question-p1030009.jpg   Extang Trifecta mounting question-p1030010.jpg