Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

V4 to v6 swap

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #41
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
In the link it shows prices. The blower is $3800 but I'm not sure what requires beefing up to safely run it if anything.
Right, thank you, but I wasn't clear - I'm wondering how much $$$ the LS6 engine swap was.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #42
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Right, thank you, but I wasn't clear - I'm wondering how much $$$ the LS6 engine swap was.
on my part. Sorry. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea on what the swap would cost.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #43
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
on my part. Sorry. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea on what the swap would cost.
Yeah, since the engine and trans are probably several thousand alone, I'm sure the answer is "not cheap." Would totally rule though.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #44
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Just trade your truck, you will need more than a new engine. You will also need a new tranny, the lines in your engine bay will be replaced with longer ones. You will have to cut the old motor mounts and replace them with new ones ETC.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #45
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
If you're paying someone, expect it to be in the $10,000 - $20,000 range depending on attention to detail and where you get the engine and transmission from. The rear axle will also need to be swapped to handle the power. Custom driveshaft, mounts for everything, wiring, etc., etc.

It's a big job.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #46
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
I am a big fan of engine swapping... Back in the 70's and 80's model anything. Today there is just wayyyyyyy too much BS to go swapping a 4 to a 6 in a Taco when they come off the line like that everyday.

If you're gonna do a swap put a Jet engine in that bitch. Now thats original...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #47
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
Dear OP AKAI know that this is just but this kind of ignorance makes me feel ...Im pretty sure if you use the and read threads on TW, eventually you will break the of ignorance and we can all in the meantime, PLEASE refrain from further I know you enjoy watching but I think school might be a better use of your time...lets start with this lesson... your tacoma does not have a v4...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do a V7 swap. Almost the power of a V8 but not really and probably not the same MPG of a V6.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #49
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Do a V7 swap. Almost the power of a V8 but not really and probably not the same MPG of a V6.
And probably cheaper than the V8 also!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #50
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
And probably cheaper than the V8 also!
Sweet. Just find a V8 with a blown cylinder and there ya go.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #51
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
guys get real...a V7 swap is way to much $ for him. He can just pick up two pistons at NAPA and duct tape them on...FTW!!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #52
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap and real easy install... Performance results may vary...
Attached Thumbnails
V4 to v6 swap-carnivaldrag-08.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #53
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::childstoy:: View Post
I am a big fan of engine swapping... Back in the 70's and 80's model anything. Today there is just wayyyyyyy too much BS to go swapping a 4 to a 6 in a Taco when they come off the line like that everyday.

If you're gonna do a swap put a Jet engine in that bitch. Now thats original...
Now that'd be something to see! Just gut the damn thing and "start over"...with a jet!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #54
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Op how many miles on your i4. My truc really woke up after the first 5k miles. ( after break in and a few small mods like drop in filter, exhaust, removing secondary filter and synthetic oil all around.)

edit: still not a v6 nor power of a v6 but it runs good. Plenty of power for normal driving.

My last cars were a 6.0 2500hd and a 05 6.0 GTO. So I like power but the Tacoma is plenty for what it is
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #55
LUISFER is on a distinguished road
LUISFER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It just may hurt a bit, for her that is.

In all seriousness did you see my post about the alpine supercharger?

Here's another Tacoma with a v8 in it, although Mike's link is better because it's a reg cab.

http://www.planetlsx.com/vehicles/Ta...e_a_Tacoma/116

Yeah that is sweet!! Unfortunately business is slow at the moment. When it picks up it might be an option.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #56
LUISFER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Another thing to think about with this whole engine swap idea, if this is your daily driver and only means of transportation, you'll be out of a truck for a while when this engine swap goes down. If it doesn't go smoothly, it could be a solid month. Even if you do manage to plan everything ahead of time, it's a hell of a project and a lot of work, especially if you do the V8 swap.

As soon as I pay it off, I plan to get a car. Then the Tacoma will just be my toy. That was the plan all along.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #57
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUISFER View Post
As soon as I pay it off, I plan to get a car. Then the Tacoma will just be my toy. That was the plan all along.
what kind of toy? Offroad? Then the 4 will suite you fine.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #58
LUISFER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Op how many miles on your i4. My truc really woke up after the first 5k miles. ( after break in and a few small mods like drop in filter, exhaust, removing secondary filter and synthetic oil all around.)

edit: still not a v6 nor power of a v6 but it runs good. Plenty of power for normal driving.

My last cars were a 6.0 2500hd and a 05 6.0 GTO. So I like power but the Tacoma is plenty for what it is

Mine is still new. Its got around a thousand miles on it. I was just disapointed with my first drive around the sand dunes.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #59
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's an easier way to get almost the same power of the v6.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...e-numbers.html

And I bet with a few add ons it will surpase the six. Also this route probably won't hurt the resale value. You might even be able to remove it and sell it seperately if you sell it(reason I say might is because you may have to flash the ecu and that might not reversible)
Yup, do the supercharger. I break into a sweat thinking about all the little details involved in a v6 swap. Plus, that way it's unique. You swap a 4.0 into the truck you have, you have nothing to show off. Noone's gonna be impressed cuz it's just a stock setup. All that work and nothing to brag about!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #60
This space intentionally left blank.
Boring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Discharged honorably many years ago.
Boring's Tacoma Gallery
A really impressive build would be to somehow get dual VVT-i and then add a turbo. Maybe build things up a little first, if you're going through that much trouble.

The technicalities are way over my head, but I'm guessing you'd exceed the V6 baseline power without replacing the transmission, engine mounts, etc... The price might be under $6000 if some of the labor was discounted. Just a thought.

Edit: I thought the Venza had the same engine, since the displacement was the same. Ass-u-me-d.