Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

V4 to v6 swap

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
LUISFER is on a distinguished road
LUISFER's Tacoma Gallery
V4 to v6 swap

I bought a 2010 tacoma with a v4 which i thought would be fine since it would save me gas and my friend has an older v4 which seems to do fine off-road. Gotta say i am not liking the v4 and i am missing my gas guzzling f250 v10. I want to know if anyone know how difficult it would be to swap my engine for a v6 in a couple of years when i run out of warranty. I have a 5 speed transmission. Just wondering because i actually have an auto parts store so i want to lift the truck and put a lot of accessories on it. Any info will help.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I4 not V4. I'd say your best bet is to sell and get the V6. If you are serious about swapping then I'd find a donor vehicle so you have all the parts you need. Also this will take time and knowledge.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Not to pee in your wheaties, but if you really don't like the I4 and can't live without the V6, it's probably be cheaper to trade it in and get the engine you want. That way you can start the mods now with the set-up you want to run.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
N4LJ
Warped is a jewel in the roughWarped is a jewel in the roughWarped is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Warped's Tacoma Gallery
You do not have a V4 in you Tacoma,,,and your friend doesn't have a V4 either
Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
V-4s are pretty rare... I think Saab had one (made by Ford) years ago. The Flat or Horizontal 4 is famous as the VW air cooled motor of generations and the Subaru water cooler motor...everything else is an INLINE 4.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
LUISFER is on a distinguished road
LUISFER's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for the mistake on the I4

It's my first toyota. Im not that familiar with it. And i dont want to trade it in because i would probably loose a good deal of money plus i dont have the money to do so.i plan to swap engines when im done paying the truck. i got it 2 months ago. so 2 more years. I shouldnt have any problems with swapping it since i have a mechanic shop. We just never really work on imports but im sure it wont be a problem. I just want to know what parts i would need and how difficult. also if anyone has done it on their truck or on an older model.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUISFER View Post
It's my first toyota. Im not that familiar with it. And i dont want to trade it in because i would probably loose a good deal of money plus i dont have the money to do so.i plan to swap engines when im done paying the truck. i got it 2 months ago. so 2 more years. I shouldnt have any problems with swapping it since i have a mechanic shop. We just never really work on imports but im sure it wont be a problem. I just want to know what parts i would need and how difficult. also if anyone has done it on their truck or on an older model.

Hold on... you're a mechanic?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
and he thought he had a v4?
Old 08-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post

This engine swap outta end well! OP even if you do manage to get the V6 in there, it won't be like your F250 with the V10. It'll be closer but it's still 4 cylinders short.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Don't hassle the guy... he came here for help! Because he has a mechanic shop doesn't make him a mechanic... he's the boss!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Don't hassle the guy... he came here for help! Because he has a mechanic shop doesn't make him a mechanic... he's the boss!

I'm not hasseling him, I am askign questions. If he is in fact the boss and not a mechanic then perhaps it is better to hand this off to his mechanic.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Not to pee in your wheaties, but if you really don't like the I4 and can't live without the V6, it's probably be cheaper to trade it in and get the engine you want. That way you can start the mods now with the set-up you want to run.
x2
Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to swap anything put a V8 in it. Or even better find a nice diesel engine.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemekmsu View Post
If your going to swap anything put a V8 in it. Or even better find a nice diesel engine.
hilux!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
stick with the V4, they're rare
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Not trying to hassle, meant to be all in good fun.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
josem3 is on a distinguished road

josem3's Tacoma Gallery
You not only need a V6 engine, you will need the ECU and the transmission for the V6 engine. So, it will be very expensive to swap engines. Better option, trade the truck. Less hassle here.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if anyone's actually done it, but it'll likely entail more than you'd expect at face value. For example, engine mounts may be different, new trans, drivetrain and suspension may not be able to handle the added weight and/or torque (e.g. drive shafts, axles, shocks, differential gears, etc), new computer or reflash, etc. These are all things you'd have to research and possibly upgrade to handle the V6. Even after all this, there could be sneak issues like the computer expecting some sort of sensor input which doesn't exist on the 4-cyl and it might start throwing all kinds of trouble codes.

Long story short, unless you are an experienced car builder, it's easier to either get the V6 now, or pay off the I-4 as you currently plan to do, then trade it in for a V6. Just try to keep the miles low on the I-4 to keep your equity (i.e. trade-in value) as high as possible.

You could just learn to love it as I have...someday I'll get a V6! In the mean time, maybe a turbo or supercharger is a better alternative. I believe there are kits out there (and info on this site)...not sure if you have to beaf up any engine components to handle the increased compression, but it sure beats trying to install a V6.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Here's an easier way to get almost the same power of the v6.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...e-numbers.html

And I bet with a few add ons it will surpase the six. Also this route probably won't hurt the resale value. You might even be able to remove it and sell it seperately if you sell it(reason I say might is because you may have to flash the ecu and that might not reversible)
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
I don't know if anyone's actually done it, but it'll likely entail more than you'd expect at face value. For example, engine mounts may be different, new trans, drivetrain and suspension may not be able to handle the added weight and/or torque (e.g. drive shafts, axles, shocks, differential gears, etc), new computer or reflash, etc. These are all things you'd have to research and possibly upgrade to handle the V6. Even after all this, there could be sneak issues like the computer expecting some sort of sensor input which doesn't exist on the 4-cyl and it might start throwing all kinds of trouble codes.

Long story short, unless you are an experienced car builder, it's easier to either get the V6 now, or pay off the I-4 as you currently plan to do, then trade it in for a V6. Just try to keep the miles low on the I-4 to keep your equity (i.e. trade-in value) as high as possible.

You could just learn to love it as I have...someday I'll get a V6! In the mean time, maybe a turbo or supercharger is a better alternative. I believe there are kits out there (and info on this site)...not sure if you have to beaf up any engine components to handle the increased compression, but it sure beats trying to install a V6.
x1000 well put