Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can you rhino line a Tacoma bed?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
atxtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
atxtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can you rhino line a Tacoma bed?

New member to the board guys... Looked for the answer to this question but couldn't find it.

Went to local Rhino liner guys and they said that they cannot do 'composite' beds like my 2005 Tacoma has. I can't imagine they would turn away business, so can anyone verify this.

Thanks,
tim
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
yes they can. take it to someone who knows their product.

Google search images and you will find that it has been done
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oh and welcome to TW
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
They cannot do composite like what you have now because they sell their own mixture of bed type (rhino line)?
Or cannot go over composite?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #6

find a Line-X shop. I like their stuff better
Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
atxtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
atxtaco's Tacoma Gallery
They said the the rhino coat will not adhere to a composite bed...
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Line X FTW! Rhino Liner is too rubbery and can break off if you hit it just right.

Oh and welcome.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #9

line x has a manufacturer warrenty. the rino line has a dealer warrenty...
rino line is sprayed at like 100 degrees and line x is sprayed at about 170 degrees.
the line x will come out smoother and better looking and adhere (spelling?) to the surface better.

forget about Rino line

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ino-bed-liner/
Quote:
Line-X
Line-x is applied “hot” using a high pressure system. Because Line-X is applied at high pressure, it tends to be thinner (about 1/4″ thick). Thinner is better when it comes to looks — a thin coating tends to follow every contour of your truck’s bed and preserves the factory appearance. One other aspect of the thin coating is that Line-X liners usually have a very rough surface that sparkles when new. Some people dislike the rough Line-x surface — it can be hard on the knees and it can damage your cargo (finished wood surfaces and Line-x liners don’t mix, for instance). While you can request that the installer reduce the roughness of the finish, this will also result in a surface that’s less glossy. Finally, because Line-X uses more polyurea, it is stronger and more tear resistant than Rhino.
Rhino
Rhino is applied cold with a low-pressure system. Because of the lower temperature and pressure, Rhino liners are thicker (3/8″ of an inch) than Line-X. The increased thickness of a Rhino gives it a softer “rubbery” feel, and the liner’s surface isn’t as rough as Line-X so it’s more gentle on knees and cargo. Rhino’s thicker coating also aids in sound deadening, and the surface seems to “grab” objects better than Line-X. But all of these benefits don’t come without sacrifice. Thicker material also means a poorer finish — Rhino material doesn’t follow the contours of a truck bed nearly as well as Line-X. The cold application also means longer curing times and a greater possibility of “runs” in the liner surface. Finally, it’s not uncommon to see inconsistencies in Rhino liner thickness, meaning some parts of your truck bed are more protected than others.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
what did I miss?
skunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudi
skunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
line x has a manufacturer warrenty. the rino line has a dealer warrenty...
rino line is sprayed at like 100 degrees and line x is sprayed at about 170 degrees.
the line x will come out smoother and better looking and adhere (spelling?) to the surface better.

forget about Rino line
Welcome!

This is only partially true. I work for one of the major suppliers for bedliners and I can tell you that the best advice is to go to a shop that can demonstrate prodcut knowledge and quality.

Line-x did a great job of getting more consistentcy in the bedliner application market but you can still get a crap job if you go to a hack shop. The brand isn't as important as it used to be, the product has become more of a commodity at this point in the lifecycle.

Take the time to visit the shop and check it out. See their work and see the level of cleanliness and organization. This will be the best indicator of the quality you will recieve.

And YES, you can spray the composite bed but it does require special attention in order to get the best adhesion possible.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
No one has said it yet so I will: Why would you??

It adds weight and is expensive. The bed will not rot/rust...Get a bed mat and/or cargo net and call it good for way less money.
Agreed
Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
find a Line-X shop. I like their stuff better
score
Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
Line-X. I agre with Brunes but if you are gonna do it go with them. Mine was done when I bought it but it looks great.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
No one has said it yet so I will: Why would you??

It adds weight and is expensive. The bed will not rot/rust...Get a bed mat and/or cargo net and call it good for way less money.
Agreed again
Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
X@ on bed mat, no real need for liner.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
They got this bed liner that looks like line x which is basiclly a bed mat that looks like its been line x'd. The setup comes with coverage for the interior sides of the bed. I forgot what its called; have a buddy that has a shop and he has a display..looks cool and is marketed to people who lease their truck ( why would you?) It's held down with industrial type velcro. The only reason I could see someone using this is to prevent scratches to their plastic bed.