Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My new custom front grill emblem

Old 08-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Once a gorilla always a gorilla
Gorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thomas
Gorilla_97's Tacoma Gallery
My new custom front grill emblem

First I have to give a big "thanks" to moorefun for shipping me this emblem on his dime! Good karma headed to you moorefun!

I've been rockin' the MetalMiller Punisher emblem for awhile but decided I wanted to do something a little different. I discovered the "TOYOTA" emblem from the tailgate would be a perfect fit for the front grill to replace the stock emblem.

I started off with the my supplies: stock TOYOTA emblem, metal base plate TRD emblem (another previous attempt at a custom emblem), black plastic folder (previously used as a backplate for the Punisher skull), double-sided tape, paint, and adhesive.

Next, I used some double-sided tape to adhere the plastic piece on top of the old TRD emblem. This would allow for a clean appearance when I mounted the finished TOYOTA emblem.

Then I cut to size a piece of black plastic from the folder to adhere to the old emblem.

Next I trimmed the black plastic folder along the edges and set it aside to paint the emblem white.

Then I painted the emblem white using two coats of self etching primer and several costs of Krylon fusion plastic spray paint.

For the last step I spread some liquid windshield weatherstrip adhesive around the backside of the painted emblem using a Q-tip and mounted onto the emblem base. I was going to use double-sided tape again but decided that would be too much work to trim around the edges of the letters.

Final pictures show the installed product. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I think it's pretty unique. Not sure how well it will hold up to the elements, but it was simple enough I can always remake it if it starts to fall apart. The photo makes the emblem look a little slanted but in person it looks straight...at least to me!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Once a gorilla always a gorilla
Gorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thomas
Gorilla_97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Is the right end slightly raised or is it just me...? Other than that, nice work!!!
It might be tweaked a little still looking at it to make final adjustments