1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My new custom front grill emblem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gorilla_97, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Aug 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 [OP] Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    First I have to give a big "thanks" to moorefun for shipping me this emblem on his dime! Good karma headed to you moorefun!

I've been rockin' the MetalMiller Punisher emblem for awhile but decided I wanted to do something a little different. I discovered the "TOYOTA" emblem from the tailgate would be a perfect fit for the front grill to replace the stock emblem.

I started off with the my supplies: stock TOYOTA emblem, metal base plate TRD emblem (another previous attempt at a custom emblem), black plastic folder (previously used as a backplate for the Punisher skull), double-sided tape, paint, and adhesive.

[​IMG]

Next, I used some double-sided tape to adhere the plastic piece on top of the old TRD emblem. This would allow for a clean appearance when I mounted the finished TOYOTA emblem.
    [​IMG]

Then I cut to size a piece of black plastic from the folder to adhere to the old emblem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I trimmed the black plastic folder along the edges and set it aside to paint the emblem white.

Then I painted the emblem white using two coats of self etching primer and several costs of Krylon fusion plastic spray paint.

For the last step I spread some liquid windshield weatherstrip adhesive around the backside of the painted emblem using a Q-tip and mounted onto the emblem base. I was going to use double-sided tape again but decided that would be too much work to trim around the edges of the letters.

Final pictures show the installed product. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I think it's pretty unique. Not sure how well it will hold up to the elements, but it was simple enough I can always remake it if it starts to fall apart. The photo makes the emblem look a little slanted but in person it looks straight...at least to me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aug 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    looking pretty good from here...nice job...:D

3. Aug 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Is the right end slightly raised or is it just me...? Other than that, nice work!!!

4. Aug 21, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 [OP] Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    It might be tweaked a little still looking at it to make final adjustments

Products Discussed in

To Top