Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY truck bed bike rack

Old 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
scoprire is on a distinguished road
scoprire's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a little different version of the PVC rack I just finished last week.
Load bar is from harbor freight.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Nice info on using PVC, I would have never thought of using it, so simple.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
bunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the rough
bunsojr's Tacoma Gallery
great idea. what about using ABS instead of PVC? it's already black!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Racks look good.

Just remember it's the drivers responsibility to secure their load.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
You did a good job on that rack!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
Beast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Beast Mode's Tacoma Gallery
I like this a lot!! Might be an excuse to sell my tow hitch rack to fund my lift.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunsojr View Post
great idea. what about using ABS instead of PVC? it's already black!
Unfortunately, ABS breaks down from UV as well if unprotected. Even worse than PVC IIRC. Might work okay for a while, but also might be something you'd have to rebuild every year if it gets a lot of sun exposure.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
bunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the rough
bunsojr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
Here is a pretty cool bike rack my girlfriend and I built a few weeks back. It holds three bikes and is made from PVC so it only costs about $30 to build including the glue. Best part is you don't have to take the wheels off the bikes!

Here is the link where I found the plans to make it.
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/go...edBikeRack.htm

You can modify the plans to make it work however you need to.
Did you build this to exact specs of those plans? If so, it looks like there is some room between the sides of the rack and the bed. Do you know exactly how much extra room there is on either side? I'd probably want to make the rack wider just to fill that extra space.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #29
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
our family friend built one of these and it's his favorite part about his truck
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #30
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Great rack. I was thinking of making this rack but with sliding bars (the bars that hold the tires), this way it can be adjusted to fit different size tires and fit 2-5 bikes. So instead of threaded T-fittings, it would have oversize T's that can slid on the 1" PVC. I'll be making a trip to the local Lowes to figure this out.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #31
S15 604 is on a distinguished road
S15 604's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to build one of these for my bikes, & want to bump this thread I hope to get some blueprints/build breakdowns.

The one I'm most interested in is post #21.
Maybe I'll pm the member and who posted the pic too.

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
S15 604's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the bump, but I want to build one of these for my truck.
Does anyone have a parts list for this build?

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire View Post
Here's a little different version of the PVC rack I just finished last week.
Load bar is from harbor freight.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #33
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
On the PVC topic, I used PVC to construct a bed divider. I have T's on the sides and I push the bed cleats for the track system into either side of the T and then I have a series of T's and spacers that go across the bed with pieces dropping down and a cross piece on the bottom built of T's and extenders. It works great! I still need to glue it together and paint it though!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #34
S15 604's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrules View Post
On the PVC topic, I used PVC to construct a bed divider. I have T's on the sides and I push the bed cleats for the track system into either side of the T and then I have a series of T's and spacers that go across the bed with pieces dropping down and a cross piece on the bottom built of T's and extenders. It works great! I still need to glue it together and paint it though!
Pics/details when you get a chance.
I'm trying to work one out using angle iron, thought about doing a rack with the angle iron, but wasn't sure how much weight it would add, & my questionable gas mileage.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #35
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
now that my kid has a bike we are a 3 bike family and I need to build one of these...any updated pics on modified builds before I just go with the default? Looks like an excellent weekend project and a solid bike solution...I had 3 bikes all on their sides creatively stacked to avoid derailleurs, pedals and sprockets..