Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY truck bed bike rack

Old 08-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
DIY truck bed bike rack

Here is a pretty cool bike rack my girlfriend and I built a few weeks back. It holds three bikes and is made from PVC so it only costs about $30 to build including the glue. Best part is you don't have to take the wheels off the bikes!

Here is the link where I found the plans to make it.
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/go...edBikeRack.htm

You can modify the plans to make it work however you need to.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY truck bed bike rack-bike-rack-1.jpg   DIY truck bed bike rack-bike-rack-2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Nice
Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
cool.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
sweet! you should paint that black and it would look even better.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
good work!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Tojo is on a distinguished road

Tojo's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work! looks professionally built...
Old 08-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yup Im going to paint it black. Especially since I heard PVC gets brittle from the sun over time. I just wanted to give it a couple weeks before I painted it in case I had to make some changes or something.

You think regular rustoleum semi-gloss spray paint will work or should I use that krylon plastic paint stuff?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
i think if you use the rustoleum it wouldn't hurt it... just sand it up a little (after sanding clean with laquer) to increase your surface area. The paint might scratch with the bikes... so i wouldn't shoot any clear on it so you can touch it up easy.

Maybe just do a test piece of extra pvc and see if the paint beads up with the rustoleum. If it doesn't... DO IT!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
looks good dude...awesome build
Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
This looks great! I have been wanting something like this for a while but I couldn't decide on what to get. Now I have myself a weekend project!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work. You probably ought to use a primer for plastic and a compatible paint, or a paint designed to go right over plastic. Otherwise you're just going to end up with chips...
Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
Very Nice!!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
Yup Im going to paint it black. Especially since I heard PVC gets brittle from the sun over time. I just wanted to give it a couple weeks before I painted it in case I had to make some changes or something.

You think regular rustoleum semi-gloss spray paint will work or should I use that krylon plastic paint stuff?

I made that same bike rack awhile ago and spray painted it with krylon plastic paint and it rubbed off alot
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
I made that same bike rack awhile ago and spray painted it with krylon plastic paint and it rubbed off alot
Just curious if you sanded it or prepped with alcohol?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Just curious if you sanded it or prepped with alcohol?
i just painted it.. i didn't do anything, thats probably why most of the paint is rubbing off, most of the paint stayed on the pipe, only where the bike comes into contact with it is where it has been scraped off
Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
haha nice work. real good idea
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
864biz is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
864biz's Tacoma Gallery
I really appreciate the post on the PVC pickup bike rack. It was easy to make. I added some options.
By using 3.5" spacers for the tire slots, and adding swimming pool noodles it has a tighter fit on the tire.
This next one will be finished in the morning. I used 1/2 " PVC, and prior to gluing inserted some 1" 3 way joints over the frame. These act as a hinge for a bar that will hold the top of the tire in place.

**Big tip: It doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect to come out right. It isn't a real plumbing project, and the wife's bath water doesn't flow through it...
Attached Thumbnails
DIY truck bed bike rack-final.jpg   DIY truck bed bike rack-hinges.jpg   DIY truck bed bike rack-1stdryfit.jpg   DIY truck bed bike rack-noodles.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
creative!
very nice
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
MattDriver is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MattDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been running mine for a year and a half

I built my rack just like this one about a year and a half ago and it is awesome, best invention in the world. I used some conduit hangers that have the holes to bolt to bed and then the bolt on the other side to slide the pipe in and clamp it down. I also bolted it down against the cab which allows you to secure the top and keeps side to side sway to a minimum with the bikes. It is super tight and doesnt move around at all and is the quickest way to transport the mountain bikes. No need to even tie the bikes down as long as you are running a tire atleast 2.2 wide. this is the third truck the rack has been in for me also so the durability is there. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a truck in the market for a bike rack, sure beats the heck out of the over priced racks out there on the retail market.