Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Side Steps Installed

Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
Side Steps Installed

What better to do on a summer Saturday than mod the taco. Today I added Westin Signature Chrome side steps (part no 25-2670) and a Grillcraft chrome grill.

There are lots of write-ups on adding grills, but I haven't seen any on the side steps. The tube-style steps were actually more difficult than installing Nfab-style steps I put on my tundra, so hopefully this will help save some folks some time.

Tools: You'll need a 3/4" socket and ratchet, a 3/4" wrench, and a 12mm socket and ratchet. Beers are optional.

On the drivers side, take off the 4 12mm bolts for the gas tank cover. Taking off the plastic cover will give you room for installing the rear bracket required to mount the side steps.

You'll also want to unbolt the brake lines so you have some wiggle room when installing the front bracket. I believe this screw is also 12mm.

Here's the tricky part--the hardware. Notice the long grade A bolt welded to a piece of steel stock. The idea is to hold onto the end of the piece of steel stock and feed it up through the frame to a hole in the frame about 12 inches in.

The welded bolt is shown on the top, with another grade A bolt on the bottom of the bracket which will thread into the end of the tube step.

I got a little crazy with the 3/4" wrench and tightened it too much. As a result I bent the bracket slightly. No big deal.

Rear bracket mounted and in place. I used a little WD40 on the threads to make things go smoother.

Threading the bolt into the tube step.

Drivers' side front installed.

Drivers' side rear installed.

Side steps and chrome grill installed. My neighbor's mustang. After I was done working on my truck we got the 'stang into the triple digits. I'll try to get some better photos soon of the side steps. I did a load/bounce test (I'm 210lbs) and they seem to be very sturdy.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up and pics.

Just gotta ask, what brand of beer is that?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
mmmm. Fat Tire
Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
^ Sir, this is a side step thread

I got a pair of side steps to keep the parking lot door dings at a minimum and got a pair like those that mount to the axle. They did not stick out very much past the side of the truck so did not work for what I wanted them for.
Then, I got another set.. the kind that mount into the body of the truck and they were so much more easy to mount than the axle mount type and they sick past the side of the truck a decent amount.
The body mount type may not be as strong as the axle mount though?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soul View Post

I got a pair of side steps to keep the parking lot door dings at a minimum and got a pair like those that mount to the axle. They did not stick out very much past the side of the truck so did not work for what I wanted them for.
Then, I got another set.. the kind that mount into the body of the truck and they were so much more easy to mount than the axle mount type and they sick past the side of the truck a decent amount.
Axle mount?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
Lets see, there were several beers there: Deschutes (from Oregon), Skinny Dip (from the makers of Fat Tire in CO) and I believe a longboard ale.

Not sure what you mean by axle. Both of my side steps on my trucks bolt into the frame rails.

I never thought about the side steps as insurance against door dings. Just another good reason to pick up a set.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primersinmyshoe View Post
Axle mount?
Frame mount, my Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trib View Post
Lets see, there were several beers there: Deschutes (from Oregon), Skinny Dip (from the makers of Fat Tire in CO) and I believe a longboard ale.

Not sure what you mean by axle. Both of my side steps on my trucks bolt into the frame rails.

I never thought about the side steps as insurance against door dings. Just another good reason to pick up a set.

oops, frame mount is what I meant. It is a good thing I'm not building them, there is no telling what people would be driving around in. I used a level to plum up from the step and where the door sticks out the most the frame mount step stuck past one eighth of an inch and the body mount sticks out one half of an inch. The oval type steps really stick past a lot, but I like the look of the round step. out of curiosity, try them out by pulling up next to a car (someone you know) and see if your steps actually do block the door from hitting, would be interesting to know...
Old 08-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
OP, sorry to further clutter up your thread.
Quote:
thanks for that info. I was just commenting on OP's pic in his side step thread
Quote:
I think the axle mount type would definitely be stronger than the body mount type.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #9

trib's Tacoma Gallery
I will try to open my neighbor's mustang door and see if it makes contact with my side steps or if it hits my door.

The oval steps appear to be much more functional in terms of preventing door dings (from cars...lifted trucks are another matter) because they protrude farther from the frame and extend the full length of the cab, whereas the step-style bars only protrude at the step point for the front and rear doors.

Results to follow. More pics to come too if I can get some time at lunch to take truck out for some shots.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
nice looks good
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #11

trib's Tacoma Gallery
More pics as promised!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
What about my Member???
NaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NaYoung's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really good, helps make the decision to order easy
Old 04-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #13
Steig is on a distinguished road
Steig's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of BEER !!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
jeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
jeratbp's Tacoma Gallery
My Westin side steps should be here today, this write up & pics are awesome.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #15
fletchjustin is on a distinguished road

fletchjustin's Tacoma Gallery
I am interested in seeing how you added the side-steps. Can you update the links to your pictures? The links are broken.

http://mattkellerman.com/dump/tacoma/sidesteps/1.jpg
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
Robert Bullion is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Robert
Robert Bullion's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried Bud's BLACK CROWN ? It's 6% Alc.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
GTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the exact same ones only in black. Ended up taking them to my mechanic for the install. Paint was in the threads at the tube ends, an impact wrench was used to bolt them to the mounting brackets. Impact wrench was also used to bolt the bracket to the passenger side frame.

My suggestion would be to bolt the brackets to the ends of the tube before bolting to the frame.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Nice look. Thinking about doing the same w/ my truck. I had some on my Tundra and really liked them. They were used for a step up for my wife and daughter. Not needed on the Taco but still like the look.

Glad to see that was a 2-3 beer job. Not too bad.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
seems like a lot of extra hardware and work when there are side steps that mount in pre placed bolt holes directly under the cab.