1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accidental reverse on a 6spd

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by m3zy6, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    I bought my truck over a month ago; 07 OR with a 6spd at 73k miles.
    There have been two specific times, once while in a line to turn left, and once pulling out of a parking lot, where I have thought that I put it into first gear and it has in fact been in reverse.
    I have been driving MTs my entire life, and if I go to put the truck into reverse normally it takes extra force and effort to pull it twice as far, over into gear, so I dont think Im the problem. Those of you who have 6spds understand how hard it would be to confuse first and reverse.
    So my question is, has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any insight as to what the problem is? Shifter, transmission, operator error?

2. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I can't imagine getting a truck into reverse instead of 1st. Mine took a lot of force to get it into reverse. Good luck figuring it out.

3. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Mine beeps once and takes some extra force to move into R...I've never even come close to letting the clutch out in R when I didn't mean to.

4. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
    x2

5. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    BLKTRD6SP

BLKTRD6SP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Crane Lake Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 Black TRD 6 Speed
    2 way remote start,3M rockguard
    X3

6. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Jah310

Jah310 Member

Member:
    South Bay - Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Tacoma TRD Off Road - 6 Speed
    URD Short Shift ; SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers ; ARE Shell; Icon Front Coilovers & Rear Reservoirs ; Rear TSB ; 285 BFG AT's, Baja Roof Rack, IBS Dual Battery, ARB Fridge
    Never happened to me, but my 2010 beeps when I get into reverse (to let you know the reverse camera is on).

If it's a real issue, try a URD short shifter. It not only shortens the throws by a lot, it makes it much more "difficult" to get it into reverse. I bet you'd be less likely to accidentally go into first with the short shifter installed. I dig mine...

7. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    As stated above, it beeps and takes significant force to push the shifter to the left before you can move it forward into gear. I've never shifted into reverse "by accident".

What I have done is forgotten to take it out of reverse before shutting the truck off, after backing into a parking spot. When I return to the vehicle, the shifter feels like it's in the same spot as 1st, and I've surprised myself if I'm in a hurry. Luckily the reverse cam tips me off to get back in 1st gear before dumping the clutch. :eek:

8. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Never even close to this happening to me, as others have said, it beeps and takes a bit of force.

9. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Same here. My 06 took alot of force to put into reverse and it beeped as well

10. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    m3zy6

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    Yeah guys, I have no ideas either. Normally it takes way more effort and beeps when its in. It definitely didn't take extra effort the two times it has happened, but I honestly can't remember if it beeped or not. I'm hoping it happens again soon (somewhere safe) so I can get a better look at it. Both times its happened Ive been in a line of cars and haven't been able to stop and check it out. It did manage to scare the poop out of the people behind me though.

11. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
  12. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    i have never had this problem in my taco 6spd...especially since when you actually put it in the reverse gear you hear it beep inside the cab...

been driving manual since I was 8...dad taught me for when we used to go hunting that way if my grandpa, uncle, and/or dad got hurt I could drive us out...:D

13. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Happens to me all the time. The beep saves me from actually backing up, usually happens when I am pissed off or in a hurry. I've done it a couple times backing out of a blind driveway and trying to quickly get it in first and haul ass. I am thinking about getting a short shifter just for this reason. It's supposed to be a lot harder to shift into reverse.

14. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    I'm running the TRD S/S in my truck...at 1st few times it may feel harder cause the throw is shorter...but it really isn't...it takes the same amount of pull and push to get it in reverse...

15. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    The beep is to let you know you are in reverse, it has nothing to do with the camera as this beep has been around since 2005.

16. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    m3zy6

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    This makes perfect sense. Both times I was looking at my radio and looked up to see that the car in front was gone, so I rushed my shift.

I just went outside to duplicate it and although it takes a lot more force to slowly shift into reverse (like you normally would), when I pop it over quickly the difference isn't nearly as noticeable. Though you would think the beep would have clued me in, guess I need to lower my music.:eek:

Looks like I need to start looking for a short shifter too. (or need to learn how to shift, yeah, yeah...)

Thanks to all those who responded, final diagnosis - faulty driver.

/thread

17. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I'm assuming shifting into reverse while driving shouldn't be possible, right? My 6-speed Trans Am had a safety mechanism that would make it impossible to accidentally (or purposely) shift into reverse over a certain mph...

18. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I never downshift to first until I'm completely stopped anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. I guess if you need to go from 2nd to 1st that might become a possible issue, but I would think the transmission would bark at you pretty loudly if you accidentally pushed over when moving up from 2nd.

19. Aug 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    i've done that once, i had music on real loud and didnt hear the beep and almost slammed into the truck behind me.

20. Aug 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    vtown

vtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Access TRD OR 4x4 V6 6spd
    I've done it a few times and almost backed into the car behind me. Happens when I'm looking at the radio or whatever and don't realize the light has changed, then you try to throw it into first real quick and end up in reverse. Since im in a hurry, I'm already letting the clutch out before the beep registers in my brain.... Kinda dangerous.... I try to be more careful now.

Products Discussed in

To Top