Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sway Bars

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,332
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you who've had these on your truck for a while, are the sway bars noisy? Can you hear them creek and groan after a while?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
pinktaco808's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2010, #40651
Location: a rock in the middle of the ocean
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,685
pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
check sitting sick
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Member
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2010, #31058
Gender: Male
Posts: 78
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a video by Hellwig doing an install and it looks like they recommend a little bit of grease on the inside of the D bushings. I saw the video after I did the install so I didn't do it myself.

Since right after these pics I installed a Dynomax Cat back exhaust even if it starts to squeak down the road I won't hear a thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #24
Senior Member
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice
 
Voodoo Rufus's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jul 2009, #19255
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a little confused by the instructions. There are 8 lock nuts and 12 regular nuts supplied. I understand that 4 of them go on the end link rod. The instruction photos also show the axle clamps jam-nutted. Where should one put the other 4 lock nuts? I was thinking on the axle clamp with four regular nuts acting as jam nuts since the axle will see the most vibration.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #25
Senior Member
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
Joined: Apr 2010, #35825
Location: Philly PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,438
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
I'm a little confused by the instructions. There are 8 lock nuts and 12 regular nuts supplied. I understand that 4 of them go on the end link rod. The instruction photos also show the axle clamps jam-nutted. Where should one put the other 4 lock nuts? I was thinking on the axle clamp with four regular nuts acting as jam nuts since the axle will see the most vibration.
I used only the regular nuts as I didn't like the deformed lock nuts...I felt they would tear up the threads of the u-bolts. I bought some nuts at hardware store to use as jam nuts. Be sure to paint the exposed metal bits with black rustoleum or equivalent to keep it from rusting.

The bushings looked like graphite impregnated neoprene, the kind that don't creak and groan over time. They don't on mine for sure, but I've only had it on for a couple months and wow! what a major improvement in handling! The rear end has no desire to skip out in turns like it used to, it just stays planted.

And highway driving is so much more predictable...the only way to describe it is that it goes where I point it WHEN I turn the wheel, not a few moments AFTER like it did before.

As far as off-roading goes: it will definitely limit wheel travel, so if you're a rock crawler it's not a good mod at all. But for casual trekking, on rough gravel roads, or crossing mountain parks and fields with no roads I've had no difficulties at all. In fact on gravel roads the truck is 10 times more confident feeling 'at speed' since the inside wheel is carrying more of the traction and there's less slippage.

Your needs may vary.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #26
Senior Member
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice
 
Voodoo Rufus's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jul 2009, #19255
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
If the bushings are graphite impregnated, would that indicate that they do not need greasing?

What I decided to do was to cut the axle u-bolts down so that I could put the lock nuts on the axle without a ton of wrenching followed by the left over standard nuts to jam against. I'll be sure to paint the exposed parts when I have it all together. Rust is one thing I'm concerned about if I ever need to get this thing off in the future.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #27
Member
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2010, #31058
Gender: Male
Posts: 78
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
I too skipped the lock nuts and used loctite instead.

Question with the exposed metal parts. Didn't think about painting them when I installed and I noticed I have some rust on these parts at this point.

What would the general thought on this be at this point? Get some metal sand paper and give it a quick rub down and then hit these parts with some paint?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #28
Senior Member
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
Joined: Apr 2010, #35825
Location: Philly PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,438
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrepeau View Post
I too skipped the lock nuts and used loctite instead.

Question with the exposed metal parts. Didn't think about painting them when I installed and I noticed I have some rust on these parts at this point.

What would the general thought on this be at this point? Get some metal sand paper and give it a quick rub down and then hit these parts with some paint?
I think Rustoleum and some other products chemically convert iron oxide rust to a hard substance. It only works for light surface rust though, so flaking and deep rust pitting should be remove by wire brushing first. I was a couple weeks before I painted mine as I wanted to make sure everything was tight and the paint coating seems pretty solid so far.

Of course, next spring I'll know for sure. After the salt fest this winter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #29
Member
StanBo is on a distinguished road
 
StanBo's Avatar
Name: Stan
Joined: Jun 2010, #39451
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
StanBo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to StanBo
Some years later.......

Are you guys still enjoying your rear swaybars?

Any rust issues with the installation of the bars? I was wary of the mounting points.

I am just about to break 50k and I am going to be installing a set of 5100s. Thought now would be the time to do a rear sway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #30
Member
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2010, #31058
Gender: Male
Posts: 78
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanBo View Post
Some years later.......

Are you guys still enjoying your rear swaybars?

Any rust issues with the installation of the bars? I was wary of the mounting points.

I am just about to break 50k and I am going to be installing a set of 5100s. Thought now would be the time to do a rear sway.
The bar itself is powder coated and I have had absolutely no rust issues with it. I am located in the Northeast so plenty of salt is seen in the winter. The mounting hardware is a must in my opinion to hit with some paint as mentioned previously. I didn't use any grease between the bushings and have no creaking issues at all.

Still by far the best upgrade I have done to this truck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
Senior Member
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Lord Helmet's Avatar
Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Joined: Aug 2012, #85875
Location: Seal Bch/Long Bch
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 782
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
My next upgrade I have hear nothing but good things about the hellwig rear sway bar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
Senior Member
hirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the rough
Joined: Jun 2013, #105540
Location: hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 211
hirod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanBo View Post
Some years later.......

Are you guys still enjoying your rear swaybars?

Any rust issues with the installation of the bars? I was wary of the mounting points.

I am just about to break 50k and I am going to be installing a set of 5100s. Thought now would be the time to do a rear sway.
I like it. Quiet, effective, and aside from the rust, low maintenance. I agree with the previous post about mocking it up then trimming the leftover threads on the ubolt. And just get regular nuts from home depot to double nut everything, those other nuts suck. The hardware is a little too shiny so i blasted everything with plastidip. If I were to change anything else I might consider changing the bushings on the sway bar side of the end links. Would try poly bushings instead. Maybe try poly for the mounts too.

I don't understand why Toyota doesn't include it with every truck minus the off road and 4x4's. The mounting points on the frame are already there, just not the mounts on the axle.

Tundra racing makes a kit using the stock Toyota sway bar from the xrunner. No experience with that so i cant compare. Tundra racings a good company though, good products and good service. My next project is to use the tundra racing kit with the XII performance rear sway bar. Its over 1/4" bigger than the hell wig and uses poly mounts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #33
Member
StanBo is on a distinguished road
 
StanBo's Avatar
Name: Stan
Joined: Jun 2010, #39451
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
StanBo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to StanBo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrepeau View Post
The bar itself is powder coated and I have had absolutely no rust issues with it. I am located in the Northeast so plenty of salt is seen in the winter. The mounting hardware is a must in my opinion to hit with some paint as mentioned previously. I didn't use any grease between the bushings and have no creaking issues at all.

Still by far the best upgrade I have done to this truck.
Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirod View Post
I like it. Quiet, effective, and aside from the rust, low maintenance. I agree with the previous post about mocking it up then trimming the leftover threads on the ubolt. And just get regular nuts from home depot to double nut everything, those other nuts suck. The hardware is a little too shiny so i blasted everything with plastidip. If I were to change anything else I might consider changing the bushings on the sway bar side of the end links. Would try poly bushings instead. Maybe try poly for the mounts too.

I don't understand why Toyota doesn't include it with every truck minus the off road and 4x4's. The mounting points on the frame are already there, just not the mounts on the axle.

Tundra racing makes a kit using the stock Toyota sway bar from the xrunner. No experience with that so i cant compare. Tundra racings a good company though, good products and good service. My next project is to use the tundra racing kit with the XII performance rear sway bar. Its over 1/4" bigger than the hell wig and uses poly mounts.
From the looks of it the Tundra Racing bushings look like Energy Suspension bushings. Has anyone contacted Hellwig to see if they offer an upgrade on their bushings? Or the sizes so you can swap them out for poly?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
Senior Member
hirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the rough
Joined: Jun 2013, #105540
Location: hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 211
hirod's Tacoma Gallery
I don't believe hellwig offers poly replacements. I'm sure you could measure the hellwig pieces and order universal ones from energy or prothane. I just never got around to it cause to dimension the parts id need id have to take everything down. Not motivated to explore further now cause i want to go a different route. Got hooked on handling and now I want to upgrade.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
Senior Member
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice
 
Voodoo Rufus's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jul 2009, #19255
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Another happy Hellwig sway user here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #36
Member
StanBo is on a distinguished road
 
StanBo's Avatar
Name: Stan
Joined: Jun 2010, #39451
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
StanBo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to StanBo
Hellwig is in my shopping cart on amazon right now. Going to do the extend the breather, Fumoto valve, drain the axles, transfer case and install the 5100s. Figure if the truck is up on stands I might as well bang all of the jobs out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #37
Senior Member
hirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the rough
Joined: Jun 2013, #105540
Location: hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 211
hirod's Tacoma Gallery




Here's my new sway bar. Wider, fatter, heavier, and more colorful. XII performance sway bar with tundra racing mounting kit. Required drilling a couple extra holes in the frame but almost a simple bolt in process. 3/4" hell wig vs. 1-1/16" XII perf. Tundra racing end links are massive too. I think the end link bracket will fail before the end link does.

Just got my 1-3/8" hell wig front sway bar from amazon. Got some XII poly mounts for it. That thing is a beast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #38
Member
StanBo is on a distinguished road
 
StanBo's Avatar
Name: Stan
Joined: Jun 2010, #39451
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
StanBo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to StanBo
Looks good Hirod. Are you running an open diff?

How does the truck handle on sweepers with the new setup?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #39
Senior Member
hirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the roughhirod is a jewel in the rough
Joined: Jun 2013, #105540
Location: hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 211
hirod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanBo View Post
Looks good Hirod. Are you running an open diff?

How does the truck handle on sweepers with the new setup?
Nope. Factory limited slip. If by sweepers you're referring to big turns, I haven't had a chance to really try it out. Just finished throwing on the front sway bar. Long story short, the truck handles too good. Threshold boring. Need to swap in the front shocks and light racing ucas to correct the camber then off to try it out.

Front sway
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #40
Senior Member
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Lord Helmet's Avatar
Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Joined: Aug 2012, #85875
Location: Seal Bch/Long Bch
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 782
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirod View Post
Nope. Factory limited slip. If by sweepers you're referring to big turns, I haven't had a chance to really try it out. Just finished throwing on the front sway bar. Long story short, the truck handles too good. Threshold boring. Need to swap in the front shocks and light racing ucas to correct the camber then off to try it out.

Front sway
Got the hellwig rear sway bar myself. This bar is my next upgrade. I like the pics.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hellwig Sway Bars Rob2.7Taco 2nd Gen. Tacomas 14 04-22-2011 08:58 AM
Thicker sway bars? toneekay Suspension 15 10-01-2010 09:08 AM
Is it worth it to take off the sway bars for more articulation? ERdept Off-Roading & Trails 15 04-11-2010 08:57 AM
Shocks / sway bars Bassetdad Suspension 1 11-07-2008 07:37 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.