1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7 Trip Notes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by def4pos8, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    def4pos8

def4pos8 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma AC 2.7L/5spd SR5
    undercoat, running boards
    Tojo and I recently completed our first serious road trip: 2129 miles from Dayton OH to Grand Forks ND via Milwaukee WI and return. This was a good test of the truck and its recently installed dual, remote, bypass oil filtration system.

Tojo hasn't been modified all that much. Besides the oil filtration mod, a K&N filter has replaced the OEM air filter, a tonneau cover helps reduce drag and tires are Bridgestone Serenity 235x60-16s on 6.5-inch aluminum wheels from TireRack.

Weather featured temps mostly in the upper 80s/lower 90s with not-so-helpful wind on about 1/3 of the route. Some hideously adverse wind was endured moving south from Grand Forks to Fargo ND AND east from Fargo into western Minnesota due to thunderstorms. Those winds were at least 25 knots. The huge flags at truck stops were stiff and pointed at Tojo's grille! At least we didn't have to endure heavy rain in association with those storms.

Cruise control set at 72MPH indicated/70MPH true was used whenever possible.

Light air conditioning was used during at least 75% of running time. I don't require much cooling.

Traffic was too damned much everywhere except North Dakota.

--lost 30 minutes at the I-65 north junction with I-80 west due to a work zone.

--lost 40 minutes to a work zone in western Wisconsin.

If you must transit Chicago on the 294 Toll Way, beg, borrow or thieve an "I-Pass" device! My brother was kind enough to provide me with one on the return trip. That's the way to handle Chicago! Tojo and I were doing 70 in a 55 to avoid becoming a target, with several miles at 80 or so, running with mostly Benzes and Cadillacs (After all, it IS Chicago!) in the left lane with an occasional bit of exotica, including a Maserati Quattroporte. The monster Audis were noticeable, especially after seeing too many reruns of Transporter flicks. A red, Audi (A-10?) coupe' was particularly attractive. Thank G-d Illinois doesn't time arrivals at toll points to levy speed fines!

We did the 405 miles from Milwaukee to Dayton in 6.7 hours -- including a rest stop! -- with that I-Pass gizmo.

There was no measurable consumption of my AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 engine lubricant during this trip.

I don't think that alcohol in the fuels found helped the MPG number. I inadvertently put some of that crap in at fuel stops at Milwaukee and Burton WI. The octane numbers were right but only after fueling did I notice the little, alcohol disclosure sticker on the pumps. I'll be more careful next time.

Fuel was least expensive in --- OHIO! --Shell "real gasoline", 93 octane!!! YES, my computer makes good use of 93 octane fuel!!

Tojo and I did 25.8 MPG for the entire trip. Tojo will move 500 miles on a fill, with a gallon or so remaining, under the conditions of this trip. I can't last that long. I need rest stops. The truck doesn't.

DSCN0988.jpg

2. Aug 23, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Damn ... you are as anal as I am ..... :cool:

3. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Wait , its Anal... crap now I am too , dang you.

Sweet mpg too

4. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Good catch ... hey, I am still on summer vacation ..... :D

5. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I suppose some might say so. My Buddhist buddy says that I've achieved awareness.

Several decades of aviating has made me very methodical in my approach to transport tasks.

What truly bums me out are the endless discussions of MPG or range capabilities in this forum wherein members just throw out numbers without considering variables -- weather, speed, traffic, road conditions, A/C use, etc.

Did I forget to mention how my cargo mass varied on the outbound trip versus the return? ;) :D

6. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Dis thread make me all happy inside. :D

7. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I knew you were a pilot as soon as I read that. My mother is a pilot and she says "knots" when measuring wind speed.

8. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Continue to pay attention to Your Mother. You'll pick up on the difference between indicated and actual speed. Instrumentation errors can make life interesting. ;)

9. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    My Garmin/speedomter drive me crazy .... I'll set the cruise at 60 and the Garmin shows 58 ..... I am sure the Garmin is correct but I can't/won't reset the cruise.

I have issues.

10. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Unless your Garmin is a "TSO'd" aviation unit, the 2 MPH difference you observed is well within tolerance.

Tojo's speedometer has a fixed, 2 MPH error due to slightly sloppy installation of the indicating needle.

If your town uses "safety advisory" radars, they can provide clues. Ultimately, timing of sufficient distance -- five miles or more -- on the highway at a fixed speed will reveal your truck's instrument error.

11. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    My gps and roadside radar units have conspired to inform me that my speedo is 5mph high when it reads 60mph. The error is lower at slower speeds. The dealership tells me that up to a 5% higher reading is within toyota's guidelines.

12. Aug 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that's not unusual. Most cops and deputies that I know give folks at least 5 MPH when working traffic enforcement just for that reason.

Tire/wheel combinations can confuse things too. That was one factor considered when I chose the combination I did. The loaded radius of my tires/wheels are identical to the OEMs, within manufacturer's tolerances.

People ignore that variable too when yacking about MPG and endurance.

13. Aug 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Where is the link and or write up on the dual, remote, bypass oil filtration system ? Thanks. Curious George

14. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    It's in here under 2nd Gen Tacomas: Remote Filter Mod -- No Leaks!

If I can figure out a link, I'll do that shortly. Old Guys aren't good at all this computer stuff.

EDIT: I couldn't figure out a direct link but it pops up if you search in 2nd Gen. Tacomas with the subject line above and my user name.

15. Aug 24, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Florida law requires that a warning only can be issued for speeding 5 mph over the posted limit.

16. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    My GPS was saying 65 when the needle says 69mph . Easy to find when a nearly 4 hr road trip to my parents took about 15 minutes more. Only sad part was adjusting my fuel economy down as a correction.

Products Discussed in

To Top