Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Flowmaster 70 series installed .. want something louder ..

Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Taco Supreme!
roboots21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
roboots21's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster 70 series installed .. want something louder ..

Folks,

Currently I have a Flowmaster 70 Series on my Tacoma. One of the internal baffles is rattling like hell, and I want to get the muffler off and replace with something louder.

I am looking at either a Flowmaster 40 Series or a Magnaflow (14" case). What are thoughts on the sound of these two mufflers? I don't really care how loud it is, I just want something that doesn't sound raspy or ricey, I want something that has a deep tone to it for a V6.

I did a search and really didn't find the answers I was looking for. Please help guys, as any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
First off, welcome to TW. I have a flowmaster 50 series on my truck and I really like it. Not ricey at all but more of a deep rumble to it. I heard the flowmaster 40 series is a bit louder though so I'm not sure what you are looking for. The 50 series is noticeable but its not to loud at all until you gun it, then it screams pretty good.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Taco Supreme!
Thanks for the welcome. With the 70 series, it has a good sound to it but I just want something louder, and with it sounding like a baffle rattling I figured it was a good time to change out to something else.

And yes, I am looking for something with a deep rumble to it that is not going to sound like a fart can when I get on it .

If I go Flowmaster I am getting a stainless muffler and will weld in in place of my current 70 series, but now I just can't decide if I want to go Magnaflow because I had good luck with one on my old F-150.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Lonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud of

Lonewolf's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Magnaflow, and I really like it.
Not as loud as some, but a very deep grunt when you stomp on it.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
MReedTRD10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
MReedTRD10's Tacoma Gallery
just take the muffler off. post a vid of the sound
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
elevatedfun is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
elevatedfun's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 40 series on my V6 and it is clean and sounds good. One thing i noticed is that it only sounds really mean between 2,000 and 2,500 RPM's. Overall it sounds good!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Flow Master Super 44...it sounds great! Deep growl (for a V6) and nice tone...it doesn't sound like a pissed off mosquito...even at idle it sounds mean!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
i have a super 40 and its pretty loud.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Taco Supreme!
Thanks for the feedback guys! Appreciated!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
check out the wicked flow 13" or 18".
Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
Taco Supreme!
Thanks again guys .. got a Super 44 installed saturday. Changed up the exhaust a little bit and went out the side in front of the rear tire behind the step bar. It sounds AWESOME. Has a very deep rumble to it at idle and off idle up to about 2k, and then just opens up to a very unique sound. No rasp with just a little resonance in the cab. Overall I am happy with the outcome. Thanks goes to my brother for welding it up for me.

Quick pic from the phone, I'll grab a couple more shots of the muffler setup soon!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
nice! glad you found the sound you were lookin for

think you could post a sound clip?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
post sound clip.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
post sound clip.
x10000
Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
Lonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud of

Lonewolf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboots21 View Post
Thanks again guys .. got a Super 44 installed saturday. Changed up the exhaust a little bit and went out the side in front of the rear tire behind the step bar. It sounds AWESOME. Has a very deep rumble to it at idle and off idle up to about 2k, and then just opens up to a very unique sound. No rasp with just a little resonance in the cab. Overall I am happy with the outcome. Thanks goes to my brother for welding it up for me.

Quick pic from the phone, I'll grab a couple more shots of the muffler setup soon!

Any down side to running the pipe in front of the tire?
I would like to switch mine to that routing but was just wondering....
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
Taco Supreme!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
nice! glad you found the sound you were lookin for

think you could post a sound clip?
I will try to get a decent sound clip from my digi camera later this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Any down side to running the pipe in front of the tire?
I would like to switch mine to that routing but was just wondering....
I did not see any downside to it. The tip gets a little bit hotter than behind the wheel, and I don't have any residue or anything on the tire or wheel in 250 mi. so far. I will keep you up to date.

I will get some better camera pics of the close-up of the exhaust. There is pretty much only one good spot to route the exhaust, and its right in front of the leaf spring mount where the frame turns up. We were able to use the stock fore hanger from the stock muffler but also had to add another hanger to the front of the muffler. We used the straight part of the factory pipe, into the muffler, then used the existing part of the tailpipe with the tip that was after the axle. I will post more pics later .
Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Taco Supreme!
Check new post in main forum for more pics and video