1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Update on manual tranny and exhaust noise question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wawireguy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jul 2, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    wawireguy

wawireguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm still displeased with the manual 5spd 4cyl access cab 4wd first gear. It is jerky and not very smooth. I'm up to 3K miles and see no difference in it. Dealer claims it is fine. Will keep an eye on it. Want to know if any of you are satisfied with this tranny in a 5sp 4wd? Honestly I'm very dissappointed.

Does anyone else have a lot of exhaust noise? I hear what sounds like a exhaust leak(sorta) under acceleration. I really don't think it's a leak though and wanted to know if anyone else hears this noise?

2. Jul 9, 2008 at 7:20 PM
    piferrg

piferrg Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Acc 2.7L 4x4 5sp SR5
    I've got 5K on my truck, and I've noticed the exact same thing. Basically, its a heavy truck with a small engine, so you have to play the cluch a bit when starting from a stop, and if you give it too much throttle at low RPMs, the engine lags and you hear that "exhaust leak" sound, which may be related to the knock sensor kicking in.

As you probably know, the response above 3000 RPMs is very acceptable, so I tend to rev the engine to get more power, especially when driving in hilly areas. However, it is a challenge to drive when you have to stop and start alot at intersections.

Today, I was cutting the lawn and the grass was damp, so I took off my wet shoes and drove the truck in my bare feet. It is actually much easier to work the throttle and clutch in your bare feet because of the tactile feedback. You may want to try this in order to get used to the clutch.

In a few years, I'll probably trade the truck in for a V6 4x4 DC Auto. In the mean time, I'll just have to get used to starting off slowly at traffic lights and stop signs.

3. Jul 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    mainerinexile

mainerinexile Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access cab I4 4x4 5 spd
    I have no complaints with my 4x4 4 cyl 5 speed. It's very smooth. Ditto my 1995 4 cyl 5 speed. No problem. Is this your first manual transmission? You need to hold the clutch steady for a milli-second just as it starts to engage, then fully release it. Also, get out of first gear as fast as you can, certainly no later than 2000 rpm unless you are going uphill. And that'll help your gas mileage, of course.

4. Jul 13, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    wawireguy

Member:
    This isn't my first manual. I've driven them my whole life including 18 wheelers. I wonder if yours is a 4wd?

5. Jul 13, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    piferrg

piferrg Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Acc 2.7L 4x4 5sp SR5
    What is your mpg?

mainerinexile claims to get 25, but I have never gotten better than 20, no matter what I have tried. This includes removing the secondary air filter, replacing the primary filter with an AFE Pro Dry filter, shifting out of first gear at 2000 rpms, and keeping the tank topped off. In fact, my mpg range has remained between 18.5 and 19.5 throughout my first 5000 miles no matter how I drived.

6. Jul 13, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    wawireguy

Member:
    I got 22mpg here a while back. About 2/3's hwy and 1/3 in town. Was pretty pleased with that. I haven't really been monitoring it. I have a heavy foot.

Once the warranty is up I think i'm going to get a ring and pinion job done and drop the gearing a little. This thing is geared for the autobahn..

7. Jul 13, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    wawireguy

Member:
    Here's another thing. That was measured during cooler weather. I notice a power decrease in hot 80+ weather. Cooler air might affect the mpg.

8. Jul 13, 2008 at 8:50 PM
    mainerinexile

mainerinexile Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access cab I4 4x4 5 spd

Yes, mine is 4WD. The clutch engagement is definitely different than my 95 Tacoma and my 'other' vehicle (an 03 Matrix) but I got used to it in a couple of days, and it is very smooth now. And yes, I'm averaging about 25 mpg over the first 3,000 miles, driving carefully, shifting at 2,000 rpm etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top